Good used-car dealerships

tater

I'm wondering if there is such a thing around here as a used car dealership where I won't get boned

SmallTown

Football season!
The local Toyota place hands you a bottle of vaseline when you walk in, if that tells you anything..

Not sure about the rest.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
:lmao: @ Smalltown --good one.

Tater, do your homework first, check the bluebook value of the car you are interested in. Go and take a peak at what's available then look them up. It's their job to rip you off.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
My son sells new cars at Ron Bortnick Ford (301 & 4) but he can sell used as well.

Let me know if you are interested.

Lilly

The Original Lilly
Heard the same thing about Toyota! In fact I heard so many bad things about the Toyota place in Lex Park I went to Waldorf to buy my car. It was new not used though so I can't report much there.
I have heard decent things about Bell Motor in old Leonardtown (you know the OK place). But can't speak from personal experience . . .

tater

Thanks Catt... at least I'll know the person that bones me and maybe go have a beer or something...Haha, just kiddin. Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Christy

b*tch rocket
A friend of mine swears by Car Max up in Laurel. She's bought some really nice vehicles for well below blue book value from there.

And I think you can order online and have any car shipped from any Car Max to your door (or maybe it's shipped to the closest Car Max). Check it out though!

SxyPrincess

My favorite car site is www.edmunds.com

You can search the Fair Market Value (FMV) of any new or used vehicle. Once you've decided on the car you want, set a fair "max" price on the vehicle. If you don't want to pay anymore than 'x' amount of dollars for a new car--stick by it. Remember, always start out low and work your way up.

When I bought my Honda new in 1999, the salesman made $150 commission. Not bad for a single gal walking in the dealership, alone. :biggrin:

Oh, and remember--NEVER tell them the pay-off on your existing vehicle. In fact, I wouldn't even mention another vehicle. Once you've settled on a low buying price, you can then settle on a trade-in price. :cheers:

SmallTown

Football season!
And don't forget that most (if not all) car manufacturers offer a dealer kickback amount which is normally between 2 and 3% of either the purcahse price or sometimes even the MSRP price of any new car they sale. So even if you pay what the invoice says, they are STILL making money, no matter what they say.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Before buying any used car, either from a dealer or a person, get it inspected. You can save yourself a lot of headaches later on and maybe your life. It could be the best money you spend while looking for a safe vehicle and might actually save you in the long run.

Y

yornoc

Originally posted by Ken King
Before buying any used car, either from a dealer or a person, get it inspected. You can save yourself a lot of headaches later on and maybe your life. It could be the best money you spend while looking for a safe vehicle and might actually save you in the long run.

This is true! I bought a 300ZX which was in great shape (I thought) until I got it inspected. I ended up spending another $3k just to get it to pass MD inspection.:bawl:

Snow Shovel

Good experience at Bell Motors. Frank Bell Jr was the salesman and I felt like I didn't get jerked around.

As others have said, do your homework on Edmunds and/or Blue Book. Need to be as informed as the dealership and the bank.

G

giggles04

Originally posted by Snow Shovel
Good experience at Bell Motors. Frank Bell Jr was the salesman and I felt like I didn't get jerked around.

As others have said, do your homework on Edmunds and/or Blue Book. Need to be as informed as the dealership and the bank.

After doing my research on Blue Book and what not, I got my car from Bell Motor's at an even better deal. I have no problem with Bells!