Lost a Rooster to Illness

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
My Silver Laced Polish Rooster died during the night. I've had him separate from the flock for a few days now since I noticed he was weak and feeling lightweight. While I had him isolated I noticed he was still eating and drinking some by what came out of him but it was rather watery and the food didn't look digested - just specks of food amid clear-ish looking liquid. I checked him for mites - none. Checked his breathing - sounded normal.

I tried to help him eat/drink but he was so weak last night that I knew when he he tipped over onto his side he was likely not going to make it through the night, and he didn't. The rest of the flock is fine so must have been a problem he had as an individual. Poor baby. I'm going to miss Rick.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
My Silver Laced Polish Rooster died during the night. I've had him separate from the flock for a few days now since I noticed he was weak and feeling lightweight. While I had him isolated I noticed he was still eating and drinking some by what came out of him but it was rather watery and the food didn't look digested - just specks of food amid clear-ish looking liquid. I checked him for mites - none. Checked his breathing - sounded normal.

I tried to help him eat/drink but he was so weak last night that I knew when he he tipped over onto his side he was likely not going to make it through the night, and he didn't. The rest of the flock is fine so must have been a problem he had as an individual. Poor baby. I'm going to miss Rick.

:huggy:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Thanks - I really get into my critters as individuals, and most of my chickens have names. I lost a hen named Blondie last year. I have another hen that looks similar to Blondie that I call Madonna :whistle:

I only have a few that don't have names yet so I may end up with forumite names for some hmmm ICit - doesn't sound like a chicken name does it? Unless I call one hen that (the one who sees everything and runs to investigate)? Yeah that may work ...

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Thanks - I really get into my critters as individuals, and most of my chickens have names. I lost a hen named Blondie last year. I have another hen that looks similar to Blondie that I call Madonna :whistle:

I only have a few that don't have names yet so I may end up with forumite names for some hmmm ICit - doesn't sound like a chicken name does it? Unless I call one hen that (the one who sees everything and runs to investigate)? Yeah that may work ...

:jet: :whistle: :dye:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
It's hard to imagine that chickens have personalities but some of them really do have unique personalities and stand out from the rest.

This one hen I have is named Floppy because her comb flops over - anyway she is MOUTHY - just-a-talkin' all the time. The only time she shuts up is when I pick her up. She likes it when I hold her.

Then there's Lacy - she will peck my leg until I pick her up. Then I put her down and she will sometimes do it again. Ouch stop it Lacey - that hurts.

Then some others run from me - uh oh here she comes again ... RUN !!!!!! OMG she's gonna GET us .... unless of course I have food then they run TO ME.

Aww that sucks. :huggy:

bcp

In My Opinion
what they need are friends.
You should start a feral cat colony right next to their pen.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
It's hard to imagine that chickens have personalities but some of them really do have unique personalities and stand out from the rest.

This one hen I have is named Floppy because her comb flops over - anyway she is MOUTHY - just-a-talkin' all the time. The only time she shuts up is when I pick her up. She likes it when I hold her.

Then there's Lacy - she will peck my leg until I pick her up. Then I put her down and she will sometimes do it again. Ouch stop it Lacey - that hurts.

Then some others run from me - uh oh here she comes again ... RUN !!!!!! OMG she's gonna GET us .... unless of course I have food then they run TO ME.

:coffee:

you really need to get out.... dang... I thought I was bad..... :huggy:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
You're so loving and kind - not sure how I ever lived without your wonderful comments to my posts. I appreciate you so MUCH :sarcasm:

what they need are friends.
You should start a feral cat colony right next to their pen.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
What????!!!! Sitting around watching the chickens is bad? Heck I still need to name the rest of them so I can take notes and document the drama that unfolds in the chicken area .....

As the Coop Turns .... tomorrow we'll find out what ICit said after Floppy told her to cluck off ...... meanwhile Rooster Prince was pecked by Madonna for spending too much time with Lacey behind the milk crate ..... :killingme

:coffee:

you really need to get out.... dang... I thought I was bad..... :huggy:

Last edited:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
What????!!!! Sitting around watching the chickens is bad? Heck I still need to name the rest of them so I can take notes and document the drama that unfolds in the chicken area .....

As the Coop Turns .... tomorrow we'll find out what ICit said after Floppy told her to cluck off ...... meanwhile Rooster Prince was pecked by Madonna for spending to much time with Lacey behind the milk crate ..... :killingme

:coffee: wow .... it is that bad...

TURBO TAKE HER AWAY!!!!! (calgon commercial) :yahoo: :dye:

bcp

In My Opinion
You're so loving and kind - not sure how I ever lived without your wonderful comments to my posts. I appreciate you so MUCH :sarcasm:
I was under the assumption that you were another one that was for re-release of feral populations.
If I am wrong then I certainly do apologize to you for that comment.

however, should I be right, I honestly think that you deserve to have a feral population terrorize your livestock, because to put it simply, what makes your livestock any more valued than someone elses.

again,if I am wrong, I apologize

lnmarsh

Love * Luck * Faith

As the Coop Turns .... tomorrow we'll find out what ICit said after Floppy told her to cluck off ...... meanwhile Rooster Prince was pecked by Madonna for spending too much time with Lacey behind the milk crate ..... :killingme

Ok first off - Im very, very sorry for your loss. :huggy:

Second - OMG haha! :killingme Honey you need to get out more :lol:

dawn

:huggy: I am sorry about your rooster!

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I think I need to name the hen that runs fast Turbo. Turbo hen LOL. Janet likes to chase Turbo though - so I think Janet wants to pull off more of Turbo's feathers. Maybe Turbo is a cross dresser and Janet is trying to expose her (him) LOL.

There was a huge change yesterday - no hen laid an egg in the usual variety of nests - they all went to the one nest in the other area and laid there - Hmm I wonder if ICit over-ruled Floppy and told Floppy SHE was the one that needed to cluck off?

Stay tuned tomorrow for As the Coop Turns when Turbo reveals why she can't REALLY lay any eggs .....

but you are gonna stay tuned to find out about ICit and Floppy..... :whistle: :dye: :coffee: :popcorn: