Ideas for local businesses

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Ok, my family is thinking of starting a second business and what I want to know is what everyone thinks this town needs. Whether its a special kind of store, or something you need on a daily basis for the home etc. So if you were to open a business and money was no object, what would it be?

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Another liquor store or gas station... We still don't have enough.

Actually my vote goes for a decent bookstore.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
If I give you MY ideas then you will have MY business and I will have to continue driving to DC everyday!! :razz2:

And while I'm being a smart a$$, if money was no object, why would I want to open a business?

Actually, I'd do some sort of animal rescue..if money was no object..I've always wanted to do that. Used to do it on a volunteer basis and loved it! BUT, I don't think it's something you can make money doing.

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Originally posted by cattitude
If I give you MY ideas then you will have MY business and I will have to continue driving to DC everyday!! :razz2:

And while I'm being a smart a$$, if money was no object, why would I want to open a business?

Actually, I'd do some sort of animal rescue..if money was no object..I've always wanted to do that. Used to do it on a volunteer basis and loved it! BUT, I don't think it's something you can make money doing.

Well if money was no object to borrow to open a business, it must be paid back. Also, sometimes hearing what the community wants is a way to make money doing something you would enjoy. Why work for someone else if you dont have to?

SxyPrincess

Personally, I'd like to see more adult-oriented stores/clubs. I don't like driving to Lexington Park just to take a 10 minute walk-through of the "bookstore." Also, driving home from the Hangar Club in Camp Springs is not fun when your half lit. :martini: although, sometimes I feel the entertainment is worth it. :biggrin:

Of course, these shops would have to be in Waldorf, oh wait--make that La Plata now. :bubble:

Doc

I'll second the decent bookstore idea proposed by others. Other stores I'd like to see down here:

Best Buy
CompUSA
Homegoods (well, the wife would like to see this one)

bravogirl10

I'm not sure if this is what you had in mind, but I would like to see an ice cream shoppe, like Dairy Queen. A Crackle Barrel would be nice too. Or how about some type of home store along the lines of Pier 1 and Lowes, like The Home Store. I know these are all chains, but maybe they'll help you decide.

H

Heretic

A video store, I was really disappointed when Video Empire on Great mills road went out of buisness. To rent a movie I have to drive to California, the video rental store in St Marys Square is a real crap hole.

It was hard to beat Empires $1 mondays.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Originally posted by SxyPrincess
Also, driving home from the Hangar Club in Camp Springs is not fun when your half lit. :martini: although, sometimes I feel the entertainment is worth it. :biggrin:

I agree, the Hanger Club is just too darn far to drive when they have that 3 drink minumum on the Red baron's!! I want to see male strippers baby!!!!!:cheers:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by SxyPrincess
Personally, I'd like to see more adult-oriented stores/clubs. I don't like driving to Lexington Park just to take a 10 minute walk-through of the "bookstore."

I don't know about that. In terms of urban decay, it seems like adult bookstores have the same reputation as the "checks cashed" places.

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Originally posted by chuckster
This will be a second business for your family? What kind of business is the other? Why not just expand that?

Yes, my father currently owns his own business, but my mother would like to open something for herself. She has no interest in working for my father and has no knowledge of how to do what he does. She is just toying with the idea, plus they might move to Florida within a year and open one down there.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Jet....

:barf: You never cease to amaze me, I almost look forward to see what your replies are going to say.....

Sierra39

Hairball Magnet
I'd like a coffee colonic to go...

Jet, we ALL look forward to your amazingly witty and/or shocking posts! :biggrin:

I've got a GREAT new concept for a new business: TEEN WRANGLERS. Yep, when your teens are gettin' outta hand, drivin' ya crazy, and yer feelin' like ya just wanna KILL 'em, who ya gonna call?? TEEN WRANGLERS!

Some big, strong, dudes come to your house and either help "coerce" them into submission, or haul 'em away to the big 'ol "Dude Ranch" for some good 'ol fashioned "attitude adjustment!"

I know several parents who would be regular customers, myself included! :biggrin:

SmallTown

Football season!
I would say one of the big outdoors stores would do well here, considering the, uhm, "culture" here.. The ones we have are kinda small with a limited selection.. Not saying the Outdoor World at Arundel Mills size, but something bigger than what have here..

How about a nice entertainment complex? People here need something FUN ( for those of us who don't find buds creek fun )..

One thing that gets me about this place is we have ONE thing that can make this place nice... Water.. It is EVERYWHERE.. But there are no NICE boat stores and no waterfront entertainment (solomons is nice, little too quiet). Very few places to rent decent boats and no really good dinner cruises (is there even one out of solomons any more?)

A music store would be nice.. Even one of those Movie/Music stores would be great.. The selections we have here are minimal at best.. A nice "Hollywoord Video" to replace the current Blockbuster and Blair's videos..

The ideas are endless.. This is a great place to start a business because there is nothing here to compete with.