bush needs to keep money on earth

L

libragirl

the people of the usa need medical and dental insurance and other help so why does he want to go into space?? he needs to help us out FIRST THEN WORRY ABOUT OUTERSPACE!!! i think the space program may be good but less money should be spent

Last edited by a moderator:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Sorry. I voted that my tax dollars should go toward space exploration and freeing countries from their dictators. I was pretty specific that I didn't want to pay for your doctor and dental bills. Guess I won, eh? :jet:

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Originally posted by libragirl
the people of the usa need medical and dental insurance and other help so why does he want to go into space?? he needs to help us out FIRST THEN WORRY ABOUT OUTERSPACE!!!
Are you a welfare wench?

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by vraiblonde
Sorry. I voted that my tax dollars should go toward space exploration and freeing countries from their dictators. I was pretty specific that I didn't want to pay for your doctor and dental bills. Guess I won, eh? :jet:

:yeahthat: Mars here we come! :banana:

Toxick

Splat
the people of the usa need medical and dental insurance and other help so why does he want to go into space?? he needs to help us out FIRST THEN WORRY ABOUT OUTERSPACE!!!

Dear Sweet Bleeding Christ, don't anti-space people have ANY other arguments beside this?

How about we lay off THOUSANDS of useless government beaurocrats to pay for health insurance. How about we divert money away from AIDS research and use that to pay for healthcare. How about we stop all foreign aid to pay for health care. Small Business loans? We could stop funding to the EPA, The Department of Homeland Security, Housing and Urban Development, DoD.

I'd like to see every single Senator and House Rep take a nice healthy pay-cut.

Even if we totally eliminated the space program and threw every cent that was there at healthcare would it be enough.

There's plenty of crap that we pay for that I dont' like.

Hessian

MARS

OK, for those who are brimming with questions about MARS and are wetting themselves now that the multiifuntional golf-cart, soil testing, photo shooting rover has gone 9 feet from its "pod"...
lets review what we've ALREADY done on MARS:

Expeditions to Mars....
Date............Sponsor.......Success/Failure.....comment:

10/10/60 USSR Failure
10/14/60 USSR Failure
10/24/62 USSR Failure
11/1/62 USSR Failure
11/4/62 USSR Failure
11/5/64 USA Failure
11/28/64 USA Success 1st fotos...3000 miles away
11/30/64 USSR Failure
7/14/65 USA Success Fly-by
2/25/69 USA Success Fly-by, 75 fotos
3/27/69 USA Success Fly by, 126 fotos
5/8/71 USA Failure
5/10/71 USSR Failure
11/14/71 USA Success 1st orbit: 7329 fotos &moons
11/23/71 USSR Crash on Surface
11/2/71 USSR Crash on surface (orbiter fotos only)
2/10/74 USSR Failure
2/12/74 USSR Partial: 60 fotos 1 orbit, failure
3/6/74 USSR Failure
3/12/74 USSR Failure-Data sent was gibberish
6/19/76 USA Success Viking 1, SOIL SAMPLES TAKEN
9/3/76 USA Success Viking 2 SOIL & 16000 fotos
9/2/88 USSR Failure
3/27/89 Russia Mostly Failure
8/21/93 USA Failure
11/16/96 Russia Failure
7/4/97 USA Success-Sojourner samples, fotos
9/12/97 USA Success-Surveyer
9/23/99 USA Failure
12/3/99 USA Failure
3/99 USA Success-Mars Global Surveyor
4/01 USA SuccessMars Odyssey-non stop mapping
12/03 Brit Failure...Where is Beagle?
1/9/04 USA Success(?) Opportunity fotos & soil
1/23/04 USA ???

Sorry, I missed the Japanese probe...it also failed.
So, what do you think? A record almost unmatched except by the Redskins since Gibbs first left.
Viking 2 alone took 16000 fotos over 27 years ago, the Global surveyor has been maping & taking fotos non stop, we have atmospheric content, we have test soil samples since the 1970's and our weeny NASA computer geeks are peeing themselves when Opportunity squeaks off its lander...like that has never happened before:confused:

I have yet to trace the cost alone to the US since we started this game back in 1964.

One curious anecdote: mars nearly destroyed the world:
back in october 62 one of the Russian Mars-rockets blew up leaving our atmoshere...it trailed debris across our northern hemisphere and NORAD went on alert (we were in the middle of the Cuban missle crisis) and we thought that the USSR might be launching a pre-emptive strike....oops.

Thoughts?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
11/5/64 USA Failure
* 11/28/64 USA Success 1st fotos...3000 miles away
* 7/14/65 USA Success Fly-by
* 2/25/69 USA Success Fly-by, 75 fotos
* 3/27/69 USA Success Fly by, 126 fotos
5/8/71 USA Failure
* 11/14/71 USA Success 1st orbit: 7329 fotos &moons
* 6/19/76 USA Success Viking 1, SOIL SAMPLES TAKEN
* 9/3/76 USA Success Viking 2 SOIL & 16000 fotos
8/21/93 USA Failure
* 7/4/97 USA Success-Sojourner samples, fotos
* 9/12/97 USA Success-Surveyer
9/23/99 USA Failure
12/3/99 USA Failure
* 3/99 USA Success-Mars Global Surveyor
* 4/01 USA Success Mars Odyssey-non stop mapping
* 1/9/04 USA Success(?) Opportunity fotos & soil

12 of 17 USA missions were successful (that’s just under 71%), was it your point to indicate that for the greater part the NASA missions have had success? I think it is great that we continue to look towards space and the unknown.

If we want to talk about wasted money there are far greater areas of perceived waste within our nation. But I don’t see what NASA is doing as being a waste.

SamSpade

So far, comparitively speaking, the amount being spent on space exploration just pales in comparison to these other programs. It's like someone who has a hundred bucks claiming they can't afford a quarter for a newspaper. We're talking chump change here.

Secondly - absolutely nothing, nothing, has propelled the US to the forefront of the world than the spinoff technologies gained from space exploration. I remember discussing this once with a friend who inisisted that "spin-offs" would work even better if the US invested in them directly. I disagree. Nothing like having a national goal forces people to be innovative, driven and precise. Space is very unforgiving, and the technologies developed for the space program were too valuable to allow for any error.

Try to imagine what might develop from a mission to Mars. One problem needed to be solved would be the biological probelms faced by a crew spending *years* in space. Perhaps they actually WOULD develop cryogenics, or maybe an advanced form of artificial blood or some mechanism to keep muscles and bones from deteriorating. That might prove useful in real life, right? Suppose they develop robotics to the point where they can create rocket fuel on the moon - maybe we'd find a way to get new forms of energy down here and not endanger lives on dangerous oil rigs and wells. Perhaps we'd develop harder lighter alloys that combine plastics and metals so we'd be able to get better mileage out of our lousy current electric cars - with better batteries. I'm just making this stuff up. Who knows what we will invent? I'm excited about the idea. The world is very different than it was forty and fifty years ago.

TripleJ

Loser people like you will allways find a reason to hold the rest of mankind back. We'd all still be living in caves if people thought the same you you. Do a little research before making igonrant coments like yours. Space research has paid itself back to humanity many times over with its advances in quality of life 'here on earth' and tecnology that further helps people "on earth".

TripleJ

Originally posted by vraiblonde
:yeahthat: :clap:

TripleJ

Originally posted by Ken King
11/5/64 USA Failure
* 11/28/64 USA Success 1st fotos...3000 miles away
* 7/14/65 USA Success Fly-by
* 2/25/69 USA Success Fly-by, 75 fotos
* 3/27/69 USA Success Fly by, 126 fotos
5/8/71 USA Failure
* 11/14/71 USA Success 1st orbit: 7329 fotos &moons
* 6/19/76 USA Success Viking 1, SOIL SAMPLES TAKEN
* 9/3/76 USA Success Viking 2 SOIL & 16000 fotos
8/21/93 USA Failure
* 7/4/97 USA Success-Sojourner samples, fotos
* 9/12/97 USA Success-Surveyer
9/23/99 USA Failure
12/3/99 USA Failure
* 3/99 USA Success-Mars Global Surveyor
* 4/01 USA Success Mars Odyssey-non stop mapping
* 1/9/04 USA Success(?) Opportunity fotos & soil

12 of 17 USA missions were successful (that’s just under 71%), was it your point to indicate that for the greater part the NASA missions have had success? I think it is great that we continue to look towards space and the unknown.

If we want to talk about wasted money there are far greater areas of perceived waste within our nation. But I don’t see what NASA is doing as being a waste.
:yeahthat:

TripleJ

Originally posted by SamSpade
So far, comparitively speaking, the amount being spent on space exploration just pales in comparison to these other programs. It's like someone who has a hundred bucks claiming they can't afford a quarter for a newspaper. We're talking chump change here.

Secondly - absolutely nothing, nothing, has propelled the US to the forefront of the world than the spinoff technologies gained from space exploration. I remember discussing this once with a friend who inisisted that "spin-offs" would work even better if the US invested in them directly. I disagree. Nothing like having a national goal forces people to be innovative, driven and precise. Space is very unforgiving, and the technologies developed for the space program were too valuable to allow for any error.

Try to imagine what might develop from a mission to Mars. One problem needed to be solved would be the biological probelms faced by a crew spending *years* in space. Perhaps they actually WOULD develop cryogenics, or maybe an advanced form of artificial blood or some mechanism to keep muscles and bones from deteriorating. That might prove useful in real life, right? Suppose they develop robotics to the point where they can create rocket fuel on the moon - maybe we'd find a way to get new forms of energy down here and not endanger lives on dangerous oil rigs and wells. Perhaps we'd develop harder lighter alloys that combine plastics and metals so we'd be able to get better mileage out of our lousy current electric cars - with better batteries. I'm just making this stuff up. Who knows what we will invent? I'm excited about the idea. The world is very different than it was forty and fifty years ago.
:yeahthat: Too

TWL

Kernel panic: Aiee.......
For all you non-supporters.
Bush proposed spending $12 billion over the next five years on the effort. About $1 billion of that will come from an increase in NASA's budget, while the other $11 billion would come from shifting funds from existing programs within NASA's current $86 billion budget.
Plus, when the Shuttle Program gets phased out in the next few years, there will be another $8 billion/year freed! Your argument has no merrit.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Originally posted by lfquade
I'm not a non-supporter, but I believe that the millions of dollars they are using for this could go towards education, school, and health insurance etc. I'm not saying that the space program is a waste of money cause its not, but there is a lot work that needs to be done here.

I have a few choices on who they should put on Mars....:wink:
Sure you are a non-supporter because you want the money going elsewhere. We currently only spend a little more than 15 billion a year on NASA, while we pump 500+ billion into social programs (more then we do for defense and not including the new senior prescription deal). What good does throwing more money into education do?

lfquade

Re: Re: bush needs to keep money on earth

Originally posted by DoWhat
Are you a welfare wench?

:confused: Are you asking if she is on welfare? Well If she was she wouldn't be complaining about health insurance, because when you are on welfare don't you get health insurance and everythig else??? :rolleyes:

Ken King

PREMO Member
Originally posted by lfquade
ONLY 15 billion, geesh what was I thinking? :rolleyes: I'm not a non-supporter because I think that money should go to other places. What do you think that seniors shouldn't have a prescription deal or etc? I guess you have no clue to what Bush has done to the medicad stuff for seniors. Cutting this cutting that. I'm not against the Mars stuff, I feel other important things should get some help too.
Yeah, only 15 billion, a drop in the bucket of a nearly 2 trillion dollar budget.

No clue? That is your problem, what has Bush cut, specifically? To my knowledge nothing has been cut but taxes, all spending is going on as it normally does, with the exception of social programs and current military efforts. Didn't he just sign the drug prescription plan that Congress passed?

Other important things, like what? More handouts to the lazy and useless.

TripleJ

Originally posted by Ken King
Yeah, only 15 billion, a drop in the bucket of a nearly 2 trillion dollar budget.

No clue? That is your problem, what has Bush cut, specifically? To my knowledge nothing has been cut but taxes, all spending is going on as it normally does, with the exception of social programs and current military efforts. Didn't he just sign the drug prescription plan that Congress passed?

Other important things, like what? More handouts to the lazy and useless.
:yeahthat: