Founding fathers are spinning in their graves!

Hessian

The applause they would offer would be thunderous!
*Services were held in the CAPITAL as late as the 1820's.
*Church-going attendence by the Founders (1760's-1790's) was higher than 90%.
The man who propsed the Connecticut compromise was the REVEREND Roger Sherman....

Drop the stale Liberal spin and read the original documents...we were a Christian nation until the Unitarians, Transcendentalists, and cults of the 1830's started.

Our Founders have been spinning in their graves since Wilson or FDR's burdensome government...not from the mythical seperation of church and state! (uncodified until the ridiculous 1948 ruling)

B

Bruzilla

Can't say as I'm surprised. :ohwell:

Say you're going to give money to some government-run program that's spending billions and delivering on about 5% of its commitments and the Dems are all happy. Say you're giving it to some church run organization who will deliver 80% results for 10% of the money and they start screaming.

Toxick

Splat
Religious groups?

From the article:

The move applies to 3.7 billion dollars, including programs to support victims of crime, the prevention of child victimization, and safe schools, the White House said.

C'mon - They didn't list all the things the monies are going toward, but given the negative slant of the article, and this list from within the article, I'm guess the money is not going toward "Think God" posters, or "Allah Love us" billboards, or any other Religous Promo material as the headline suggests.

Supporting crime victims, and promoting safe schools sounds like an ok plan to me.

Or do you HATE CHILDREN?

Frank

Chairman of the Board
Oh please. I see no problem with giving to *charities* that are 'faith-based'. It's not as though the government is promoting religion. At least THEY have low administrative overhead.

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Gee, and to think in another thread everybody was saying we should send our money to space instead of using it on charity. I guess if you tell the poor & homeless they have to pray to your god everything is OK.:dance:

Pete

Repete
Originally posted by jlabsher
Gee, and to think in another thread everybody was saying we should send our money to space instead of using it on charity. I guess if you tell the poor & homeless they have to pray to your god everything is OK.:dance:
Do you suppose that they will be standing there with a spoon full of succotash and wait until you pray to or acknowledge their God before ploping it on the plate? NO PRAISE NO FOOD

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.

Gee, I didn't know that Jesus wanted to be recognized as Lord before granting you grace. Oh, that's right! Some people don't grasp that Christ died for us while we were yet sinners.

You see, God loves us so much that Jesus Christ, his only son, was sacrificed to abrogate our sin. This was done even though we were (and are) unrepentant sinners.

I mention this because the good things that the church is charged to do are based on this same basic rule. Do good things for other people even if they are as yet unrepentant reprobates. They could eventually come around to God's love. If not, hey, you tried!:biggrin:

Frank

Chairman of the Board
"Gee, and to think in another thread everybody was saying we should send our money to space instead of using it on charity."

SURE wasn't me. And it's a different argument. People who argue against space exploration - and there were a LOT in the sixties as well - always claim that it is just throwing money away. It isn't. It is a sound investment in technological development.

On the other hand, charity basically IS throwing money away, but we don't factor that in - we do it because we believe it to be morally correct, not because it produces a product or a return on onvestment.

" I guess if you tell the poor & homeless they have to pray to your god everything is OK."

*Pardon my French, but you're an #######.* Cameron Frye, Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Aside from being a non sequitur, the whole point of Christian charity is the same as the grace of God, being freely given without requirement or consequence. Compare that to other charities, where the top brass live very well and money isn't doled out so extravagantly.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Well I thought the whole concept of providing funding to “faith based organizations” was to get the funds to the people that need them without utilizing a government entity to micromanage and burden the process. Not to convert anyone to any specific religion.

Throughout this nation there are a multitude of groups with the sole focus of helping those in need. These groups have the desire, motivation, knowledge, and ability to do it a heck of a lot better then what a typical government agency could ever dream of doing. They are found in the communities where they know first-hand what the troubles some of our citizens face.

For me, it is simply a matter of moving the function to a more effective means of getting the task accomplished. Also, I have yet to see any “faith based organization” place any form of requirement towards religious beliefs before they would render aid to a person in need. I see this as reinforcing a character trait that has always been one of our nations strongest, helping those in need when we have been asked. It’s just approaching it from a new direction and one that I see makes perfect sense.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Maybe they'll give some money to the SOMD mosque?
I read your sarcasm here, I understand the skepticism and will respond by saying that if any Muslim organization, or any other specific religious group for that matter, (not on a terrorist watch list) meets the requirements of the program then what is the problem with money going to a mosque or church? Or is it you would rather see it go to a Jewish temple that might as easily channel it to help fund the eradication of the Arabs in the Middle East.

I would rather see a program that helps people that isn't over burdened by the typical bureaucracy like we see with HHS and our other social service agencies that are wrought with inefficiency, fraud and waste to the estimated tune of 10 to 15 billion dollars annually.

Frank

Chairman of the Board
Maybe they'll give some money to the SOMD mosque?

You realize that the program is "faith-based" charities, and as such, does include other religious charities besides the more familiar Christian ones.

L

libragirl

except for me but im finish with that issue:biggrin: :clap: