Movie Theater

darkclown

I know this has been discussed before, but as I see the development plans constantly changing for these new business areas it really begs the question, what do we have to do in southern Maryland to get a decent movie house in the neighborhood? Its obvious Loews/AMC could care less about how this theater down here is run or not run. Last time I was there a homeless person was shaving half dressed in the bathroom. I also know that each theater has muliple broken seats in it, the floors are gross, the screens are old, and I have heard of lice problems too, its just nasty. After the shaving incident I sent AMC a letter but nothing was done and we wont go back. We need some better entertainment options down here, that is for sure! I know last year the Enterprise even ran a story on it. The economy may be tough, but there are still movie theaters being built! I've seen them!

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
I agree, we need a new cineplex in this area and not anywhere near the dark back streets off Great Mills Road. Prince Frederick has a decent theater, thank goodness the base theater is pretty decent, not to mention having a decent home theater system, on the latter I've just gotten use to waiting to view new films...:coffee:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I've just gotten use to waiting to view new films...:coffee:

That's what I do. I really have no desire to go "out" to see a movie. I'm not in that big of a hurry to see a movie. I like that cost comparison. I like that I can pause the movie and go into the kitchen and prepare a snack that doesn't cost me an arm and a leg. I really believe that theatre's are becoming a thing of the past, and it's only a matter of time before people stop going altogether.

While driving 301 North in Waldorf I swear I glimpsed a sign announcing "Movie Land" with stadium seating and 3-D graphic capability, etc. being built in the area of the Cosco. For as often as I want to go to a movie... that is close enough for me.

OldHillcrestGuy

While driving 301 North in Waldorf I swear I glimpsed a sign announcing "Movie Land" with stadium seating and 3-D graphic capability, etc. being built in the area of the Cosco. For as often as I want to go to a movie... that is close enough for me.

You certainly did see a sign, its been there for awhile dont know when construction is to start.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I know this has been discussed before, but as I see the development plans constantly changing for these new business areas it really begs the question, what do we have to do in southern Maryland to get a decent movie house in the neighborhood? Its obvious Loews/AMC could care less about how this theater down here is run or not run. Last time I was there a homeless person was shaving half dressed in the bathroom. I also know that each theater has muliple broken seats in it, the floors are gross, the screens are old, and I have heard of lice problems too, its just nasty. After the shaving incident I sent AMC a letter but nothing was done and we wont go back. We need some better entertainment options down here, that is for sure! I know last year the Enterprise even ran a story on it. The economy may be tough, but there are still movie theaters being built! I've seen them!

Put up the money or secure the money from investors and build a new theater yourself.

Pyrotech

Les Paul Addict

Who the heck wants to drive all the way to Waldorf from Lusby, or St. Marys etc. to got to the movies in Waldorf? Is it any wonder that people pirate movies down here at a breakneck pace?

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Who the heck wants to drive all the way to Waldorf from Lusby, or St. Marys etc. to got to the movies in Waldorf?

The people who aren't afraid to leave the county? Besides, who really wants to got to the movies in Waldorf?

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House
The theature in lexington park is horrible. When I went to see sex in the cisty 2 some gay guy was hitting on me. I havn't been back to that place since.

Who the heck wants to drive all the way to Waldorf from Lusby, or St. Marys etc. to got to the movies in Waldorf? Is it any wonder that people pirate movies down here at a breakneck pace?
I currently hit Arundel Mills Mall or Annapolis Mall if I want to see a movie in a decent theatre.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
The theature in lexington park is horrible. When I went to see sex in the cisty 2 some gay guy was hitting on me. I havn't been back to that place since.

Considering the movie you went to see, I understand...:killingme

The only way I would have seen that movie is if my wife dragged my dead corpse in to see it...

What if he offered you dinner at Olive Garden first? :whistle:

varrus84

The answers.

I'm sorry to revive this thread but hopefully the answers I give will beable to clear a few things up.

The last time I checked, Charles County had a certain law in place that only lets business hire maryland based construction companies. I remember this because a few years ago, Barnes and Noble tried to build an add-on for their bookstore at the St. Charles Towne Center Mall. Many of the big business use a specific construction company that is based out of state. Such as Barnes and Noble, AMC, Regal, Cinemark, Phoenix Theatres.

I for one am very glad that we have a new movie theatre coming to the area and it will be a change for the better in this area so we don't have to drive 50-100 some miles to get to a respectable movie theatre.

The AMC in waldorf is very run down and the management do not care aslong as they still get a pay check. However, nothing can be done about it because AMC owns the building. Odion had it built so they owned the building, then Lowes bought then and then AMC bought/merged with lowes. AMC could put it up on the open market but they would want a huge amount of money for it. If AMC waldorf would to go on the open market tho. Either a Nato (National association of Theater Owners) member buys it or it goes to a church, which they would not want to pay a dime for it.

I have also drove by where the Movieland theater will be built and the ground is yet to be broken to start construction. If all goes well then we could have a new theater as of late summer early fall.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Put up the money or secure the money from investors and build a new theater yourself.

:killingme

and good luck with that.

I would like to know what part of "for profit" people don't understand. Both Lowes and AMC are in business to make money. If they thought that a new, bigger theater would increase business, and their bottom line, they would be all over it like white on rice.

If it were profitable, we would have FiOS.

If it were profitable we would have a Sonic.

Liquour stores are profitable, we have lots of them.

varrus84 - you might want to check the facts. I doubt "Charle County had a certain law in place that only lets business hire maryland based construction companies."
They might require a Maryland license, they might give preference to Maryland based businesses on government contracts, but to exclude out of state business, particularly on private contracts, would invite a law suit.

Last edited:

Toxick

Splat

I totally endorse Dark Clown's screen name and Darth Bobo avatar. :yay:

I also think SMC needs a new movie theater, but I go to the one in PF, since it's closer and better, so my opinion on that matter is moot.