Humongous Caterpillar

I was walking thru the backyard and spotted a huge, absolutely huge, caterpillar. Green, must have been 7" long and thick. Had never seen one before, had no idea what it was. Didn't have my camera handy, and by the time I got back to it, it was gone.

Last night I was watching a news segment, and the guy was talking about a caterpillar. Same one. Turns out it was a Luna Moth. I've never seen one of those flying around the house either, so it never struck me that's what it might have been.

I was impressed.... didn't know they grew them that big here...

Seven inches? Methinks you perhaps are not accurately judging your inches?

It was just shy of the distance between the tip of my thumb and the tip of my pinkey spread wide, and that's 8". I tell you, the thing was huge. Everything I looked up says about 3", but this was way bigger than that.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
It was just shy of the distance between the tip of my thumb and the tip of my pinkey spread wide, and that's 8". I tell you, the thing was huge. Everything I looked up says about 3", but this was way bigger than that.

maybe there were two and you caught them in an intimate moment. :killingme

PJumper

I've seen some huge caterpillar just like he said but those were back in the Philippines. They live among the elephant ears plants and used to scare the living sh@t out of me. I'm not easily scared, cause I used to catch snakes and monitor lizards and the like, but the feel of the caterpillar just give the chills, up to now just thinking about it. Anyway, the moth that they became are gorgeous, huge brown(about 12 inch across), with a big circular white spot and red accents.

I was walking thru the backyard and spotted a huge, absolutely huge, caterpillar. Green, must have been 7" long and thick. Had never seen one before, had no idea what it was. Didn't have my camera handy, and by the time I got back to it, it was gone.

Last night I was watching a news segment, and the guy was talking about a caterpillar. Same one. Turns out it was a Luna Moth. I've never seen one of those flying around the house either, so it never struck me that's what it might have been.

I was impressed.... didn't know they grew them that big here...

Interesting, was it furry? Never seen one. Since you rarely see the moths I figured they were rare.
Probably heading to lay eggs or go die.

belvak

Happy Camper

:roflmao: :roflmao: I posted this once somewhere else, but when I was a much younger belvak, my sister picked up a "pretty caterpiller" and put it in a Ritz Cracker box with some twigs. She put it in our room and forgot about it. One morning, we woke up to this HUGE thing flying around the room!!!! Turns out it was a Luna Moth. Evidently, it was ready to "cocoon" itself when she tossed it in the box and it found it's way out! I'll never forget that!!!!! :lol: I just wish she was still here to remember it with me... :frown:

belvak

Happy Camper
Tobacco hornworms and tomato hornworms also look very similar, green and huge.

:howdy: I saw a wooly caterpillar today! It was wooly... Does that mean we're gonna have a bad Winter??? Oh, and it was brown/black. I couldn't see it too good since it was in the middle of the road...

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Tobacco hornworms and tomato hornworms also look very similar, green and huge.

Those things give me a heart attack! I am not trying to grow any more tomatoes when I have to put up with that sort of thing! :yikes:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
:roflmao: :roflmao: I posted this once somewhere else, but when I was a much younger belvak, my sister picked up a "pretty caterpiller" and put it in a Ritz Cracker box with some twigs. She put it in our room and forgot about it. One morning, we woke up to this HUGE thing flying around the room!!!! Turns out it was a Luna Moth. Evidently, it was ready to "cocoon" itself when she tossed it in the box and it found it's way out! I'll never forget that!!!!! :lol: I just wish she was still here to remember it with me... :frown:

:huggy:

doubtfull24

Picture of a Luna Moth I took a few years ago in St.Mary's.

Attachments

• lunamoth.jpg
    lunamoth.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 103