I hate hippies

They ran, when their parents fought.

Then they invaded the schools and forced their warped version of reality onto our kids.

"Don't defend yourself, or you will be suspended."

WTF? If my son gets suspended for sticking up for himself, or someone else, he will have a pleasant vacation!

L

Libertarian

Then they invaded the schools and forced their warped version of reality onto our kids.

WTF? If my son gets suspended for sticking up for himself, or someone else, he will have a pleasant vacation!
I understand where you are coming from. Much of our liberal philosophy today comes from that movement. They encouraged "free love," which got us a whole lot of babies born to single mothers after their dads split. This vast increase in single-parent homes resulted in many children not getting adequate supervision, which resulted in more juvenile delinquents and more dysfunctional families.

L

Libertarian

Name seven.

1) That comedy show which featured Ellen Degeneris...I'm sure that was made by a hippie.

2) Family Ties was probably made by hippies

That's all the sitcoms I can think of.

As for songs, anything by The Beach Boys...weren't they hippies?

ImnoMensa

Obama's Mother was a Hippie, Hillary was a Hippie.

Nuff said.

MadDogMarine

I understand where you are coming from. Much of our liberal philosophy today comes from that movement. They encouraged "free love," which got us a whole lot of babies born to single mothers after their dads split. This vast increase in single-parent homes resulted in many children not getting adequate supervision, which resulted in more juvenile delinquents and more dysfunctional families.

Place the blame where it belongs.

"And there's one thing that the CIA did with Project MK-ULTRA that cannot ever be forgiven.They invented hippies.

"his participation in the MK-ULTRA drug studies was what eventually led him to start the Merry Pranksters, who first widely advocated the "mind-expanding" properties of LSD and eventually gave rise to the modern hippy."

Read more:
The CIA's 5 Most Mind Blowing Experiments With LSD | Cracked.com

"Orange Sunshine LSD was manufactured and distributed exclusively by a group known as "The Brotherhood of Eternal Love" who operated out of a beach resort near Los Angeles. The Brotherhood had among it's drug manufacturers and dealers, one Ronald Stark, who is believed to have manufactured 50 million doses of LSD, and had known connections to the CIA. "
Charles Manson -- A Programmed Assasin Created by the CIA?

More info on the CIA and drugs
Links to Documents Concerning the CIA

mitzi

1) That comedy show which featured Ellen Degeneris...I'm sure that was made by a hippie.

"Hippie" Beach Boy songs? Ellen's show made by "Hippies"? Do you even know what a hippie was? :killingme

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Name seven.
The first t.v. show that came to mind was "Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In"; not a sitcom, but great comedy nonetheless. Six other hippie-influenced classics...
  • Gilligan's Island
  • Dobie Gillis
  • The Monkees
  • I Dream of Jeannie
  • Gidget
  • Mary Tyler Moore (loosely, anyway...)

The rock list is easy...
  • Hendrix
  • The Beatles (in their latter days)
  • Dylan
  • Joplin
  • Jefferson Airplane
  • Grateful Dead

I think hippies had an interesting and overall positive effect on pop culture, but they sure made crappy political and lifestyle choices. They gave birth to the New Left and modern Marxism; social engineering; social justice/equality; advocating a weaker military and unrealistic peace; moral relativism; viewing traditional values (most notably religion) as disdainful; and carefree drug use... to name a few. In short, most of the things that have led to undermining America's greatness today. So I agree with your premise, but hippies were not completely useless.

The first t.v. show that came to mind was "Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In"; not a sitcom, but great comedy nonetheless. Six other hippie-influenced classics...
  • Gilligan's Island
  • Dobie Gillis
  • The Monkees
  • I Dream of Jeannie
  • Gidget
  • Mary Tyler Moore (loosely, anyway...)

The rock list is easy...
  • Hendrix
  • The Beatles (in their latter days)
  • Dylan
  • Joplin
  • Jefferson Airplane
  • Grateful Dead

I think hippies had an interesting and overall positive effect on pop culture, but they sure made crappy political and lifestyle choices. They gave birth to the New Left and modern Marxism; social engineering; social justice/equality; advocating a weaker military and unrealistic peace; moral relativism; viewing traditional values (most notably religion) as disdainful; and carefree drug use... to name a few. In short, most of the things that have led to undermining America's greatness today. So I agree with your premise, but hippies were not completely useless.

Ok, you got me there. :lmao:
I guess they are good for the entertainment industry.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

The Beach Boys were BUSINESSMEN that tried to pose as Beach Bums (NOT hippies) and it made them millions.

Mdbtyhtr

What about All in the Family? It was an Avant Gard spin on establishment vs Anti-Establishment, an us vs them show and it was great!

Scott

Otter

Nothing to see here

"his participation in the MK-ULTRA drug studies was what eventually led him to start the Merry Pranksters, who first widely advocated the "mind-expanding" properties of LSD and eventually gave rise to the modern hippy."

Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters..:lol: Tom Wolfe chronicled them in "The Electric Kood-Aid Acid Test"..California 60s in a nutshell

itsbob

I bowl overhand
  • Gilligan's Island

Gilligans Island Created and Produced by Sherwood Schwartz (50 years old at the time)...

Doesn't sound TOO hippiesh to me.. sounds like "the man!"..

Wrkn4livn

But they helped stop the Vietnam War, the sober ones anyway...