Maryland's texting and cell phone ban is a

sham! Not that I'm against it, in fact, I endorse the idea 100%. But, how can our state gov't get on their soapbox about how unsafe these practices are and then not have the 'nads to make it a primary offense? I always thought a violation of the law is a violation of the law; period!

MadDogMarine

sham! I endorse the idea 100%. ......not have the 'nads to make it a primary offense? I always thought a violation of the law is a violation of the law; period!

Yah, let's have more laws. I think picking your nose while driving should also be
a primary offense, Let's see. eating hamburgers and fries, having sex, yelling at the children in the back seat, gps video screen in the front dash, etc,etc,
Yep, they are all distractions while driving. Just as long as we save ONE LIFE it will be all worth it. Make them all primary offenses. A violation of the law is a violation of the law. God help us!

FED_UP

Yah, let's have more laws. I think picking your nose while driving should also be
a primary offense, Let's see. eating hamburgers and fries, having sex, yelling at the children in the back seat, gps video screen in the front dash, etc,etc,
Yep, they are all distractions while driving. Just as long as we save ONE LIFE it will be all worth it. Make them all primary offenses. A violation of the law is a violation of the law. God help us!

I agree with you moslty, except having sex, when um getting a certain job done on me my eyes are still on the road :killingme

lnmarsh

Love * Luck * Faith
I agree with you moslty, except having sex, when um getting a certain job done on me my eyes are still on the road :killingme

:lmao: Yea until that certain "job" is um, "finished" and your eyes that were once on the road roll back into your head and you run a stop sign and get T-boned.

Boy... you'd come and go all at the same time :killingme

FED_UP

"Not paying full time and attention" should cover most all of it without more laws.

For those who are not keeping up with the law, it changes in OCT.

2010 Update - Governor Signs Hand Held Cell Phone Ban into Law
May 20th, 2010
Maryland Senate Bill 321 has been signed into law by Governor O'Malley.

The new law will prohibit all Maryland drivers from using a Cell Phone without a Hands Free Device while operating a motor vehicle.

In addition the new law would prohibit "a holder of a learner’s instructional permit or provisional driver’s license who is 18 years of age or older from driving a motor vehicle while using a handheld telephone".

The fine for a first offense would be $40 and subsequent offenses would be $100.
The new law would be a secondary offense, meaning that a driver must first be committing a primary offense such as speeding or reckless driving before they could be ticketed for a Cell Phone offense.

The new law is scheduled to go into effect in October, 2010.

To read the bill please go to the State of Maryland Website and Read Senate Bill 321

FED_UP

:lmao: Yea until that certain "job" is um, "finished" and your eyes that were once on the road roll back into your head and you run a stop sign and get T-boned.

No crashes yet, you would be surprise of control men have just to get it finished, can't let the other man/woman know we are slightly distracted so they won't stop. Hey but your comment was hilarious :killingme :killingme I see you managed to survive also

Last edited:

General Lee

For those who are not keeping up with the law, it changes in OCT.

2010 Update - Governor Signs Hand Held Cell Phone Ban into Law
May 20th, 2010
Maryland Senate Bill 321 has been signed into law by Governor O'Malley.

The new law will prohibit all Maryland drivers from using a Cell Phone without a Hands Free Device while operating a motor vehicle.

In addition the new law would prohibit "a holder of a learner’s instructional permit or provisional driver’s license who is 18 years of age or older from driving a motor vehicle while using a handheld telephone".

The fine for a first offense would be $40 and subsequent offenses would be $100.
The new law would be a secondary offense, meaning that a driver must first be committing a primary offense such as speeding or reckless driving before they could be ticketed for a Cell Phone offense.

The new law is scheduled to go into effect in October, 2010.

To read the bill please go to the State of Maryland Website and Read Senate Bill 321

You forgot to add the part where law enforcement is exempt from this law.

FED_UP

You forgot to add the part where law enforcement is exempt from this law.

Well look at it like this, a cop is on the phone driving while your wife or girlfriend is on the phone telling him where the burglar is at in the house. Just one scenario. So whos to say whether they are on a emergency life of death call or not :shrug: . I would guess our tax money will pay for their hands free devices, I don't think I ever saw a cop texting while driving.

Dukesdad

Well look at it like this, a cop is on the phone driving while your wife or girlfriend is on the phone telling him where the burglar is at in the house. Just one scenario. So whos to say whether they are on a emergency life of death call or not :shrug: . I would guess our tax money will pay for their hands free devices, I don't think I ever saw a cop texting while driving.

However you do see them typing on their computer while driving. Or at least I have. In fact he had a cell phone to his left ear while doing so on 235 two fridays ago at around 3:40 in the afternoon.

FED_UP

However you do see them typing on their computer while driving. Or at least I have. In fact he had a cell phone to his left ear while doing so on 235 two fridays ago at around 3:40 in the afternoon.

He is on the computer trying to ID the DUI driver that hit your friend last week so he can arrest him from a tip he just got, um just saying.

bulldog

Is it common for the cop to talk directly to the victim? I would think that most folks don't have cops' direct cell phone numbers and would call dispatch who would relay the info. Or, maybe dispatch connects them to a responding cop???

lnmarsh

Love * Luck * Faith
Is it common for the cop to talk directly to the victim? I would think that most folks don't have cops' direct cell phone numbers and would call dispatch who would relay the info. Or, maybe dispatch connects them to a responding cop???

:lmao: Exactly.

Sorry FED_UP, but I felt the same way about your post :shrug:

FED_UP

:lmao: Exactly.

Sorry FED_UP, but I felt the same way about your post :shrug:

Police called my phone before and they were outside the door, crook tried to get in, of course they get the number from dispatch if need, so it does happen.

Well lets make an example, lets say InMarsh called the 911 dispatch because me her husband in my wife beater was about to bust the biatch in the mouth again for not getting my T-bone steak right (medium well). Cop is on his way and wants to call the house because of concern as he is getting closer.

Last edited:

MadDogMarine

Driver:But Officer, I was having work done on my stick shift, I blew an "o" ring and lost all my fluid. That directly resulted in my losing control. It's not my fault.

Officer: If you had a properly fitted head gasket on your hot rod you wouldn't have lost all your fluid. Step out of the car and put your pants up.

FED_UP

Driver:But Officer, I was having work done on my stick shift, I blew an "o" ring and lost all my fluid. That directly resulted in my losing control. It's not my fault.

Officer: If you had a properly fitted head gasket on your hot rod you wouldn't have lost all your fluid. Step out of the car and put your pants up.

I did not realize this thing I was talking about could be said in so many different words :killingme

Dukesdad

He is on the computer trying to ID the DUI driver that hit your friend last week so he can arrest him from a tip he just got, um just saying.

Rigghhhhttttt in traffic, 50 miles per hour... more likely checking to see what the flavor of the day at DD was..

lnmarsh

Love * Luck * Faith

I did not realize this thing I was talking about could be said in so many different words :killingme

:faint: OMG :killingme

::coffeespewing::

DEEKAYPEE8569

sham! Not that I'm against it, in fact, I endorse the idea 100%. But, how can our state gov't get on their soapbox about how unsafe these practices are and then not have the 'nads to make it a primary offense? I always thought a violation of the law is a violation of the law; period!

You meant capital offense, right? Or am I looking for "felony"?

glhs837

Power with Control
Nope, primary is correct. In traffic, there are secondary offenses, which the officer cannot pull you over for, but can cite you for after pulling you over for a primary offense. Seat belts were this way until a few years ago. the officer, seeing you unbelted, could not initiate a stop based on that alone. He would have to see you speed, or run a stop sign, run over a kid, or something else. Once he did so, he could cite you for the secondary offense.