Question regarding red lights at merge lanes

Choklatjunkeee

A coworker pointed out there is an extra red light on the pole at the intersection of Airport Road, where you would turn right at the light to merge onto Route 235 South. I also noticed one at the intersection of Route 4 North and 760. I have never noticed the lights before, and always turned right when there was no traffic coming. So, the other day I stopped at the one in Wildewood and someone behind me went horn crazy, so I moved along. Can anyone tell me what the law is? TIA

awpitt

Main Streeter
A coworker pointed out there is an extra red light on the pole at the intersection of Airport Road, where you would turn right at the light to merge onto Route 235 South. I also noticed one at the intersection of Route 4 North and 760. I have never noticed the lights before, and always turned right when there was no traffic coming. So, the other day I stopped at the one in Wildewood and someone behind me went horn crazy, so I moved along. Can anyone tell me what the law is? TIA

You may turn right on red after a complete stop unless there is a sign posted that says "no turn on red".

FED_UP

Have you just gotten you license? Its been law for years you can turn right basically anywhere, light or no light, if all is clear unless there is a sign saying NO turn on red. Sort of familiar with those roads, I thought at airport drive turning S on 235 that there is a right exit merge lane onto the highway.

Last edited:

Choklatjunkeee

Have you just gotten you license? Its been law for years you can turn right basically anywhere, light or no light, if all is clear unless there is a sign saying NO turn on red. Sort of familiar with those roads, I thought at airport drive turning S on 235 that there is a right exit merge lane onto the highway.

No I did not just get my license, and I am aware of the law. I just never noticed the lights before. I just recently became aware of the lights. There is a merge lane and I always just merged right in. My coworker thinks you have to stop. I didn't, and just wanted some input, just in case. Thanks!

FED_UP

No I did not just get my license, and I am aware of the law. I just never noticed the lights before. I just recently became aware of the lights. There is a merge lane and I always just merged right in. My coworker thinks you have to stop. I didn't, and just wanted some input, just in case. Thanks!

I bet when you stopped the other day the person behind you was saying "What an Idot" and a few other not so good words. I hate when some people are in anonther time zone while driving and they get to a red light with his right signal light on and forget that they can make the turn, they just sit there until you honk at them and they wake up and make the turn.

kwa592

I bet when you stopped the other day the person behind you was saying "What an Idot" and a few other not so good words. I hate when some people are in anonther time zone while driving and they get to a red light with his right signal light on and forget that they can make the turn, they just sit there until you honk at them and they wake up and make the turn.

You mean the people who remember that the law says right turn on red AFTER you stop, IF there is no oncoming traffic. Those people?

awpitt

Main Streeter
You mean the people who remember that the law says right turn on red AFTER you stop, IF there is no oncoming traffic. Those people?

NO.

The people who stop and then just sit there even though there's no oncoming traffic.

Justme2

Stop Watches

I just love the people behind you when you stop to make sure nothing coming and they have their stop watch set at 10 second to make sure nothing coming and then you take 15 seconds to make sure and then the horn blowing finger waving starts. I wave back to make sure there isn't a problem behind me and that takes another 10 seconds and then the stop watch has gone off again and the yelling starts so I am still sitting there trying to hear what is being said maybe I have a light out or the car is on fire or something. And the screaming starts so I pull out with just enough room for me so the guy behind me has time to reset his stop watch. :whistle:

Justme2

Patience Might

Yelling , horn blowing, finger waving,cussing out the window , driving with your accelerator on the floor does I guess :confused: And zooming in the time machine which we all have an have to get there NOW or else we all will turn in to a pumpkin.
But when we slamm or get slammed and your car and your body is crumpled up maybe for permament. It is real surprising that we all of a sudden got the time to drive like a person or persons with some sense of some kindness.

Meantime I guess drive it like you stole it. :howdy:

Floyd2004

-Void-
People leaving Wildewood merging onto S 235 need to learn how to merge into traffic. Too often I see people dashing to the end of the merge lane and then stopping creating a conga line. Find a gap, speed up and get in the gap. Its not that hard people!

awpitt

Main Streeter
People leaving Wildewood merging onto S 235 need to learn how to merge into traffic. Too often I see people dashing to the end of the merge lane and then stopping creating a conga line. Find a gap, speed up and get in the gap. Its not that hard people!

Exactly!

So many people don't know how to merge. They sit there waiting until the whole road is completely void of all trafic then they finally decide to go.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I just love the people behind you when you stop to make sure nothing coming and they have their stop watch set at 10 second to make sure nothing coming and then you take 15 seconds to make sure and then the horn blowing finger waving starts. I wave back to make sure there isn't a problem behind me and that takes another 10 seconds and then the stop watch has gone off again and the yelling starts so I am still sitting there trying to hear what is being said maybe I have a light out or the car is on fire or something. And the screaming starts so I pull out with just enough room for me so the guy behind me has time to reset his stop watch. :whistle:

You're the reason why we have to have gun laws.

Floyd2004

-Void-
So many people don't know how to merge. They sit there waiting until the whole road is completely void of all trafic then they finally decide to go.
They wait till the light changes red then they go. Kinda defeats the point of a merge lane...

FED_UP

Your taking chances of having road rage brought upon you azz. Don't get in front me.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yelling , horn blowing, finger waving,cussing out the window , driving with your accelerator on the floor does I guess :confused: And zooming in the time machine which we all have an have to get there NOW or else we all will turn in to a pumpkin.
But when we slam or get slammed and your car and your body is crumpled up maybe for permanent. It is real surprising that we all of a sudden got the time to drive like a person or persons with some sense of some kindness.

Meantime I guess drive it like you stole it. :howdy:

I'm not saying those who act impatiently are in the right. But two wrongs don't make a right. And your behavior, as described, is wrong. Its petty, really. Ignore them, and move out when your safe, instead of focusing on the bozos behind you. Passive aggressive is still aggressive. :coffee:

FED_UP

Exactly!

Your talking about where that rock or asphalt company across the street is at. I think that is Wildwood Blvd. Yea I have seen people ride to the end of the merge lane trying to get in, its simple don't merge until you know you can get in, crazy.