Need Locksmith for Chrysler RKE Fobik Programing

Mongo53

I bought a used Jeep Commander, 2010, it was a rental. The rental company lost one of the RKE Fobik keys. You need 2 programmed keys to be able to program any additional RKE Fobik keys yourself. The dealer will charge up $250 or more for a new key and programming it.

I've got a new RKE Fobik key on the way from ebay, yes it is new, still in the original wrapper, NOT used (because once the key is programmed, it can NOT be reprogrammed again for another vehicle).

I will need this new key to be programmed, the dealership will want $80-$100 to do this 5 min job, at least.

Anyone know of a locksmith capable of programing these keys, RKE Fobik, that would charge less than the dealer?

Keep in mind these are NOT typical Transponder Keys, my local hardware store in Lusby, advertise they can program those, I showed them my Chrysler RKE Fobik key and said they can NOT do those keys.

Remote Keyless Entry Fobik = RKE Fobik, its the new kind of key where there is NO metal key blade at all, its the key fob with the remote lock/unlock and other features buttons with a square plug on the end, you insert the square plug into the ignition and turn. The electronic interface between the two, is what starts or fails to start the vehicle.

Attachments

• TIK-JEP-21.jpg
    TIK-JEP-21.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 443

glhs837

Power with Control
Hmm, not sure. Does require fairly expensive equipment, you might need to call locksmiths up around Waldorf or closer to DC. I expect the locksmith might charge in the $70 to $80 range also, becuase of the equipment required.

Whoever does it will need your Jeeps PIN code, which you need to call chryslers customer service line for. Dealership will be able to call for it, locksmith might not.

dave1959

I bought a used Jeep Commander, 2010, it was a rental. The rental company lost one of the RKE Fobik keys. You need 2 programmed keys to be able to program any additional RKE Fobik keys yourself. The dealer will charge up $250 or more for a new key and programming it.
I've got a new RKE Fobik key on the way from ebay, yes it is new, still in the original wrapper, NOT used (because once the key is programmed, it can NOT be reprogrammed again for another vehicle).

I will need this new key to be programmed, the dealership will want $80-$100 to do this 5 min job, at least.

Anyone know of a locksmith capable of programing these keys, RKE Fobik, that would charge less than the dealer?

Keep in mind these are NOT typical Transponder Keys, my local hardware store in Lusby, advertise they can program those, I showed them my Chrysler RKE Fobik key and said they can NOT do those keys.

Remote Keyless Entry Fobik = RKE Fobik, its the new kind of key where there is NO metal key blade at all, its the key fob with the remote lock/unlock and other features buttons with a square plug on the end, you insert the square plug into the ignition and turn. The electronic interface between the two, is what starts or fails to start the vehicle.

But, you are not buying a new key, You are just programing one..
should cost you less than $75 at the dealer....

glhs837

Power with Control
If they will touch it, and some dealerships wont, it can still run that much. See, heres what they do. There is a hard deck on labor, cannot charge less than 1/2 hour, which, last I saw, was above $65 an hour, so theres $30. Theres a "diagnostic equipment fee", and thats about $40-50 minimum, supposed to pay for the $5,000 dollar diagnostic/programming machine.

I had them reprogram an used engine computer (PCM) to a different car once. Literally took the tech about 15 minutes, including 10 minutes printing up the procedures, since he didn't listen the first time I told him which to print. they charged that guy almost $100 between labor and equipment, of and the "shop supplies charge" of $10.

Oh, and a new blank key? Thats well over $100 before any programming, might be closer to $200.

ItsyBitsy

I have called Locksmtih Connections in the past. I liked them. I believe locksmiths charge cheaper than the dealer but I think that depends on your car. Here is there number 240-249-8530.

glhs837

Power with Control
I have called Locksmtih Connections in the past. I liked them. I believe locksmiths charge cheaper than the dealer but I think that depends on your car. Here is there number 240-249-8530.

Pretty sure in the almost five years since this was posted back on 10-03-2010 at 04:14 PM, the original poster has solved this one or given up :)

alon005

Lol, I know that since 10-03-2010, 03:14 PM Mongo53 Already figured it out by now, but in case anyone else see's this post, I tried calling that number as I needed a locksmith myself and it was wrong. The number is: (240) 252-5443 and their website is: http://www.locksmithconnections.com/locksmith-mechanicsville-md/ and they helped me program a different key.