Speeding Solomons VFD Truck at PRAD

Who else saw the firetruck fly by right before the start of the parade? Ok, I understand there was an emergency but with lots of people, children, and pets along the road (VERY CLOSE) I think it was utterly ridiculous!!!

frequentflier

happy to be living
Who else saw the firetruck fly by right before the start of the parade? Ok, I understand there was an emergency but with lots of people, children, and pets along the road (VERY CLOSE) I think it was utterly ridiculous!!!

Not that I am defending them, but would you feel differently if it was your home on fire that they were heading to?

I knew a response like this would be generated. If it was my house, I would not want it to be at the expense of someone getting hit, and possibly seriously injured. The speed was unreasonable and drew a lot of negative attention for them.

frequentflier

happy to be living
I knew a response like this would be generated. If it was my house, I would not want it to be at the expense of someone getting hit, and possibly seriously injured. The speed was unreasonable and drew a lot of negative attention for them.

What kind of response are you looking for?
Maybe you should contact the chief of the VFD to report the incident.

awpitt

Main Streeter

I have a feeling that if there was an actual emergency at your home, you'd care little about how EMS got there. Just that they get there fast.

It's easy to second guess how police and/or EMS do there jobs until you're the one in need.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Does all the "what ifs" negate the fact that they put a lot of people in danger yesterday?

Did they?

Were they traveling outside of the roadway?

Across the sidewlks?

Don't parents have repsonsibilty for controlling their children?

Were the lights and sirens on?

How did they endanger so many people?

Was anyone actually hurt by this runaway fire truck?

awpitt

Main Streeter
A lot of "what ifs" but if you find a speeding firetruck through a crowded street reasonable, then good for you.

I'm just trying to get a description of what actually happened. Now you're saying a "crowded street". Does that mean there was a bunch of pedrestrian traffic IN the road? If so, than it would not be reasonable for a fire truck to go speeding through. Or was the pedestrian traffic along the sides of the road? You said this happened "right before the start of the parade" so my guess is that the road was clear for the parade to start. Was the fire truck running its lights and sirens?

Just trying to get the whole story here.

TPD

the poor dad

I was at Solomons yesterday just before sunset eating out on one of the decks on the main drag when a police officer went screaming by with lights and sirens. All in our party looked at each other like it was a bit fast for that area. Granted - not nearly as many people on the streets as you saw earlier in the day, but I do agree with you! Does 30 seconds make that much of a difference?

awpitt

Main Streeter
I was at Solomons yesterday just before sunset eating out on one of the decks on the main drag when a police officer went screaming by with lights and sirens. All in our party looked at each other like it was a bit fast for that area. Granted - not nearly as many people on the streets as you saw earlier in the day, but I do agree with you! Does 30 seconds make that much of a difference?

In some cases, yes. Of course, we have no idea where the VFD truck or the police officer was heading.

mamacourt

I was also at PRAD yesterday. The road had been closed off for some time prior to the fire truck incident. Yes, there were a lot of people. However, they were on the sides of the road. Not in the road. Parents DO need to take responsibility for the safety of their children, and allow our professionals to do their job.

Otter

Nothing to see here
In some cases, yes. Of course, we have no idea where the VFD truck or the police officer was heading.

Doesn't matter, if the VFD truck or PO doesn't exercise caution going through a crowded area(people on street or sidewalk) and happens to hit someone, they won't get where they were heading anyway. Accidents are made up of people not paying attention, funny that some of you think this is a perfect world.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Doesn't matter, if the VFD truck or PO doesn't exercise caution going through a crowded area(people on street or sidewalk) and happens to hit someone, they won't get where they were heading anyway. Accidents are made up of people not paying attention, funny that some of you think this is a perfect world.

That's your opinion.

...and no, I don't think this is a perfect world.

dan0623_2000

Emergency Response

I think it is time for all the leaders of first responders(both paid and volunteer) to re-educate their people that the first priority in any emergency situation is to arrive on the scene safely and to get there in a manner that does not endanger the public. I have observed some first responders who should not even be allowed to operate a tricycle without adult supervision and I have also seen many first responders who operated their vehicles in a very safe manner. My compliments go out to them and I hope they can instill on their other members that lights and sirens are not a free ticket to drive however they want to where people need their help.

sdm

Not that I am defending them, but would you feel differently if it was your home on fire that they were heading to?

I have a feeling that if there was an actual emergency at your home, you'd care little about how EMS got there. Just that they get there fast.

It's easy to second guess how police and/or EMS do there jobs until you're the one in need.

That Solomons was responding to a call is a miracle in itself. More often than not, they scratch on calls do to lack of manpower.

However, if there is an event going on in Solomons, they are out in full force. Too bad they don't share the same enthusiasm when the equipment is needed for an emergency.

keepsmiling

That Solomons was responding to a call is a miracle in itself. More often than not, they scratch on calls do to lack of manpower.

However, if there is an event going on in Solomons, they are out in full force. Too bad they don't share the same enthusiasm when the equipment is needed for an emergency.

Due to lack of manpower could be many reasons one being one, maybe even two of the ambulances are on calls and their "manpower" is already committed to those calls. Solomon's has one of the busiest areas for ambulance calls that I can think of, correct me if I am wrong and I'm sure you will, but not only do they have the Nursing Home, they have Asburry and they have the Urgent Care. But if you have a concern with the department scratching, call and speak with the Chief, doing so here only causes rumors and fears within the community. And that goes for concerns with speeding equipment, call to speak with the Chief directly and nip the concerns in the butt.

Last edited:

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
There's a reason the Federal on fire trucks are about 120db.

And on that note, if so many of you have issues with the way first responders drive, why don't you call a chief officer (or desk sgt if it's a police officer) and complain, THEN come here to post? Posting here does virtually nothing without actually talking to a chief officer...

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Posting here does virtually nothing ...

Don't know about that..

Brought the less than intelligent into the light..

Had this same discussion over New Years did we not? People walking to and from the Fireworks, picnics.. Crowded street, and the police cruisers flying down the road to stop a fight??

Sound familiar?

First responders first and foremost need to use a little common sense.

Some child got away from a parent and ran out into the street (maybe chasing a lost balloon, ESPECIALLY since they were waiting for a PARADE) no way in hell that truck could have stopped in time.. and a dead child is a dead child no matter who's fault it was, or who's house it was on fire.

But of course that would be the PARENT's fault, not the speeding fire truck..

itsbob

I bowl overhand
There's a reason the Federal on fire trucks are about 120db.

Don't firetrucks use their "Federal" in Parades?

Imagine a kid hears the siren thinks the parade is getting ready to start and bolts out into the road to see ..