Neighbors Vs. Pitbull

renegadeslave

Obsidian Salamander
Howdy all,
We recently moved into a small neighborhood in Huntingtown. We like to keep to ourselves but unfortunately could only afford a .68 acre property at this point in our lives. When we moved in, none, and I repeat none, of our neighbors came by and introduced themselves. This includes the neighbors to the right who, as it turns out, know my mother (the curse of living in the county you grew up in).

My husband and I have two pugs, a pitbull, and three cats. My little twist to the story is that the pitbull is a product of a previous relationship, and I have split custody with my ex. We keep him for a few weeks, ex keeps him, and so on. We have a fenced backyard whereas my ex does not, but we have a much easier time finding pet sitters for two pugs than two pugs and a pitbull, which is why the situation works out for us.

Moving on.... the neighbors to the right have been trying to sell their house for several months. Their first complaint was that possible owners would not like cats roaming on their property. Ok, we keep them inside and built an outdoor cage for them to spend some time outside. I can understand that our pets do not belong on other people's property.

Today, my mother forwards me an email from this neighbor saying they have been trying to talk to my husband and myself about the pitbull. The neighbors have a family interested in buying the house but the family does not like pitbulls. Could I possibly keep the pitbull at my ex's house for a few months and then see how it goes from there? They would love to sit down and talk with my husband and I about the situation and see what we can work out.

This, to put it mildly, upset me greatly. One, can you talk to me? Leave a note on the door asking us to call you? Not sell a house next to three dogs to people that hate dogs? Something? What would happen "in a few months" when I brought the pitbull back? They would magically be okay with him? :tantrum: to say the least.

So I think about it. Figure maybe I can talk to them like civil people. Maybe work something out. Then I get home from work.

There's a notice from Animal Control that says someone lodged a complaint, but it does not say what said complaint is. I call the number for the nice officer. Left a voicemail. No response yet.

The notice from Animal Control was left at approximately the exact same time as the nice neighbor emailed my mom asking if we could work this out.

WTF?

So opinions please? Has your neighbor ever asked you to change something so they can sell their house? Remove your children perhaps?

Any one have any idea what charges Animal Control might be able to make? The pitbull is licensed and up to date on shots and not in North or Chesapeake Beach. He does bark at someone if they come near the chain-link fence. He has never viciously attacked anyone that I know of. The worst he will do is hump your leg to death (although he is neutered).

Any pitbull lovers out there that want to protest with us?

Thanks for any input and letting me vent.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
He does bark at someone if they come near the chain-link fence. He has never viciously attacked anyone that I know of. The worst he will do is hump your leg to death (although he is neutered).
Yea right. :duh: That's what you get for owning a killer breed.

renegadeslave

Obsidian Salamander
Thank you for sharing your uneducated opinion.

What if I said it was the pug they wanted us to remove? Or a german shepherd?

If it was me, I would keep the dog there every single day and make sure all the neighbors saw it. Take it out for walks every day past the forsale house.

refugee44

Your neighbors are clearly very childish. Ignore them, ignore their "attempts" to talk to you, and you do your thing. Kindly suggest to your mother than you will not discuss this with her and that she shouldn't allow herself to be put in the middle of this situation. As long as your dog is licensed, healthy, on a leash when it's outdoors or in a fenced area, there is nothing Animal Control or your neighbors can do to you or your dog. Some people think they have the right to inject their thoughts/beliefs on you, but they’d be wrong.

RPMDAD

renegade, if as you say, the dogs are licensed, up to date on their shots, there is no record of the pitbull cruising the neighborhood and wreaking havoc i would not worry about it at all. One question is the pitbull outside all the time or more of an inside dog that goes in to the fenced in backyard to run, walk and do his business. If he's out all day long barking that might possibley be an issue. I would also show them the letter with the proposition the neighbors proposed. I know some of the ACO's and they all seem to be pretty sensible and reasonable, with neighborhood situations. But draw the line very hard with animal abuse cases and dangerous dog cases where the dog is biting people attacking other pets etc. etc.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Your neighbors are clearly very childish. Ignore them, ignore their "attempts" to talk to you, and you do your thing. Kindly suggest to your mother than you will not discuss this with her and that she shouldn't allow herself to be put in the middle of this situation. As long as your dog is licensed, healthy, on a leash when it's outdoors or in a fenced area, there is nothing Animal Control or your neighbors can do to you or your dog. Some people think they have the right to inject their thoughts/beliefs on you, but they’d be wrong.

Best answer :yay:

I hate pitbulls and even I think the neighbors are being shady by wanting you to hide your dog until they can get some unsuspecting sucker to buy their home.

renegadeslave

Obsidian Salamander
renegade, if as you say, the dogs are licensed, up to date on their shots, there is no record of the pitbull cruising the neighborhood and wreaking havoc i would not worry about it at all. One question is the pitbull outside all the time or more of an inside dog that goes in to the fenced in backyard to run, walk and do his business. If he's out all day long barking that might possibley be an issue. I would also show them the letter with the proposition the neighbors proposed. I know some of the ACO's and they all seem to be pretty sensible and reasonable, with neighborhood situations. But draw the line very hard with animal abuse cases and dangerous dog cases where the dog is biting people attacking other pets etc. etc.

He (and the pugs) have a dog door. I know they do bark at the other neighbor's yorkies sometimes.... but dogs will be dogs. And, at least at this point, the complaint that the ACO left didn't have the "excessive barking" box checked.

Thanks for the input!

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
Thanks.

Guess I should have asked about Animal Control's priorities without explaining the story, huh? :cds:

At this point the Animal Control complaint is the one you should be worrying about. They can make you destroy the animal if the complaint is severe (which I doubt) if you don't work with them.

BTW: How old is this dog if it's a left over from a previous lover?

renegadeslave

Obsidian Salamander
At this point the Animal Control complaint is the one you should be worrying about. They can make you destroy the animal if the complaint is severe (which I doubt) if you don't work with them.

BTW: How old is this dog if it's a left over from a previous lover?

Lol. He's seven. And gimpy. Vicious pug attack left one rear leg mostly useless. :smile:

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Thank you for sharing your uneducated opinion.
What if I said it was the pug they wanted us to remove? Or a german shepherd?
My opinion is VERY educated. Do some searches on here. It's a killer breed and I wouldn't buy a house next to one.
You even admit you don't know if it's attacked or not.

Famous last words: "He wouldn't harm a fly."

Attachments

• Erin Dickinson.jpg
    Erin Dickinson.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 135
  • jadyn-1-attack.gif.jpg
    jadyn-1-attack.gif.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 157
  • pit_bull_attack.jpg
    pit_bull_attack.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 130
  • pit-bull-att-image.gif.jpg
    pit-bull-att-image.gif.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 121
  • amd_kamar-reynolds.jpg
    amd_kamar-reynolds.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 98

renegadeslave

Obsidian Salamander
My opinion is VERY educated. Do some searches on here. It's a killer breed and I wouldn't buy a house next to one.

Exactly.... so don't buy the house next to me! Is that so hard?

When I said "not that I know of", I was implying that I am sure the first time he sneezes on someone, I will hear about it.

I bet you could find the same pictures in relation to german shepherds, dobermans, min-pins, chows, cats..... shall the list go on? Any animal can bite.

Last edited:

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I bet you could find the same pictures in relation to german shepherds, dobermans, min-pins, chows, cats..... shall the list go on?
No where near the notoriety of pitts & rotts. For every story/pic you find of another breed, I'll find 10 on pitts.

renegadeslave

Obsidian Salamander
No where near the notoriety of pitts & rotts. For every story/pic you find of another breed, I'll find 10 on pitts.

Because of bias or actual statistic? They are probably the most abused breed by humans as well.

Sorry, I do understand that certain people don't like certain dogs, or any pet for that matter. I do know they were bred to be fighting dogs. And it's fine with me if you don't like them or want to be around one. So don't buy a house next to one.

As Vrai stated.... it's really underhanded of my neighbors to make the potential buyers think there is no pitbull. And I'll be the one who has the problems when they are unhappy with it.

I was asking opinions for what I should do about animal control and the possible future neighbors, not to debate whether my dog is dangerous.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Because of bias or actual statistic? They are probably the most abused breed by humans as well.

Sorry, I do understand that certain people don't like certain dogs, or any pet for that matter. I do know they were bred to be fighting dogs. And it's fine with me if you don't like them or want to be around one. So don't buy a house next to one.

As Vrai stated.... it's really underhanded of my neighbors to make the potential buyers think there is no pitbull. And I'll be the one who has the problems when they are unhappy with it.

I was asking opinions for what I should do about animal control, not to debate whether my dog is dangerous.
Kudos to you for being honest.

And Judge Judy has ruled them to be a bully breed as well. WWJJD. :yay:

refugee44

Best answer :yay:

I hate pitbulls and even I think the neighbors are being shady by wanting you to hide your dog until they can get some unsuspecting sucker to buy their home.

I don't care for pitbulls myself and I would never choose to own one, but some of my neighbors have them. They are all nice dogs, they are all kept on a leash, and there has never been a problem. Some people just like to look for trouble and/or cause trouble when there really is none.

There is nothing on God's green earth that pisses me off more than passive-aggressive behavior, and that's exactly what these neighbors are doing. The only way to solve that issue is to call people on their shiat, and let them know you aren't playing that game.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
renegade, just to throw my two cents out there...I don't care for pit bulls, but your neighbors are being unreasonable. I wonder what this guy would do if there was a meth house next door...ask them to stop making meth for a few weeks?

I know that next time I buy a house, I'll go around knocking on doors asking about the neighborhood. Nothing wrong with where I'm at, but it's just good business to know what you're getting into.

Last edited: