Personal Security

BernieP

Resident PIA
With all due respect I have a question to the parents of or any party that is or has served in the armed forces of the US.

WHY do you put a decal, bumper sticker or license plate on your car that identifies you as such?

With so many people in the world out to make a point, don't you think this makes you a target or more of a target?

I'm not suggesting you should not be proud of your service and sacrifice, just quesitoning the wisdom of advertising in such a public manner with all the nsaties out there.

Carry on.

PS It's something that's been on my mind for a while and a question in another thread asking, "Are you military" just reminded me.

Be safe and have a great weekend

tom88

With all due respect I have a question to the parents of or any party that is or has served in the armed forces of the US.

WHY do you put a decal, bumper sticker or license plate on your car that identifies you as such?

With so many people in the world out to make a point, don't you think this makes you a target or more of a target?

I'm not suggesting you should not be proud of your service and sacrifice, just quesitoning the wisdom of advertising in such a public manner with all the nsaties out there.

Carry on.

PS It's something that's been on my mind for a while and a question in another thread asking, "Are you military" just reminded me.

Maybe we should all take down our American Flags too...we know people don't like Americans. Maybe we should all just go and hide and be afraid of our own shadow. That would show those nasty terrorist! :sarcasm:

Carry on.

Nah, they would rather attack innocent civilians by letter bombs or bringing down planes.

Littlebit

I guess you are not a parent of anyone in the military or have never been in the military so I see no reason for your wondering why we do it. Most of us are proud of it and want everyone to know we have served or have someone who has. I do not see having them displayed on our vehicles puts us in harms way anymore than just being out in public. If some sicko wants to do harm they will do it know matter what.

Vince

Carry on.

(1) I served my country proudly for over 20 years. (2) If they want me, let em come. Bring the cowards face to face, but they won't. They'll bomb something and kill inocent people. (3) I'm getting too old to give a sh!t.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
Lets the idiot terrorist know there is strength in numbers, come get some! NOT SCARED!!! :patriot:

Also your chances of getting killed driving on Rt 235 are much higher than by terrorist! :jameo:

Last edited:

lisa8439

If you are American, you are a target to these people. I don't think it really matters whether or not you are affiliated in some way with the military.

Like others have said - strength in numbers. I think it shows that we won't back down - we are proud of our sacrifice, whether it be personally or through someone close to us that has served, and nothing they do will change that or scare us.

Like that Toby Keith song says - they need to know that we'll put a boot up their ass, it's the American way :patriot:

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Dang, and they say I am rough on people...:lmao:
I don't think Bernie was being condescending. He had an honest question.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Nah, they would rather attack innocent civilians by letter bombs or bringing down planes.

:love:

I say they should say it loud and say it proud if they have a military family member!! I am very proud to say I have military family and ancestors (direct line on my father's side) going all the way back to the Revolutionary War.

:patriot: Our colors don't run. And neither do we.

lisa8439

Dang, and they say I am rough on people...:lmao:
I don't think Bernie was being condescending. He had an honest question.

I didn't interpret his question as condescending - I have honestly thought the same thing about different things that the military puts out there as public knowledge, or things that people 'advertise' - but I eventually learned that there are holes everywhere, and that if terrorists really want to 'get' the military in any way, shape, or form, they could do it. Security can be lax sometimes - if there is a will there is a way, and we can't live our lives in fear.

"If fear is cultivated, it will become stronger..."
- John Paul Jones

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I didn't interpret his question as condescending - I have honestly thought the same thing about different things that the military puts out there as public knowledge, or things that people 'advertise' - but I eventually learned that there are holes everywhere, and that if terrorists really want to 'get' the military in any way, shape, or form, they could do it. Security can be lax sometimes - if there is a will there is a way, and we can't live our lives in fear.

"If fear is cultivated, it will become stronger..."
- John Paul Jones
Some of the replies were a lil harsh. :lol:

tom88

Some of the replies were a lil harsh. :lol:

I didn't think his question was condescending, I thought my answer was a bit. I actually thought his question, if this is the way he would respond if he were a military parent or veteran was somewhat cowardly. If you are afraid to show who you are because someone might do something to you, then it's not being responsible, it's being afraid.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Do you have something against DoD base decals also?

Yes, actually I do. It was long recommended that they be done away with. The decal thing was started by the Air Force as a way of tracking vehicles on their bases because at that time there was no sharing of DMV records.
The recommendation to stop was made for the same reason I asked the question, it identifies the car (and the occupant as either military or DoD employees.

Thanks for not reading, I said there was no disrespect, just a question of security, personal security.
Yes, I understand pride, but you aren't as much of a target if your child or you went to Va Tech as you are a member of the military.
You all may not remember, but I do, the people who were gunned down sitting in their cars waiting to turn into CIA headquarters. They were killed because of where they worked.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I didn't think his question was condescending, I thought my answer was a bit. I actually thought his question, if this is the way he would respond if he were a military parent or veteran was somewhat cowardly. If you are afraid to show who you are because someone might do something to you, then it's not being responsible, it's being afraid.

Sorry if it came off as judgmental or condescending, the question was asked if to see if people think about it.

glhs837

Power with Control
I see where Bernie is coming from. And you should know that most places have done away with vehicle decals, sort a waste in this age of %100 ID checks. Basic military stuff, meh, I dont think its too big a risk. High rank identifiers, say Captain and above, or things that identify you as having access to stuff that might draw attention, say Presidential helo, those, I might minimize.

I'm not looking at it from a POV that you might be attacked in a suicide vest sort of way, but that you could be a target of being forced to allow someone access to a place where they could cause greater damage.

frequentflier

happy to be living
When I lived in southern California, there were articles in the newspapers telling women to not put their name on a custom license plate. It made them a target.
Also it was suggested not to use those stick figure family decals if you have young kids because of pedophiles. I got behind a lady a few days ago that had a stick figure of an adult woman and two girls; one in a yoga type pose and the other with pom poms. Single mom with 2 teens? I remember thinking she probably doesn't have a clue how much of a target that could make her.
I also thought she should have 3 dog stick figures, too!

A little off the subject but our vehicles do tell a lot about us and the lives we lead.

glhs837

Power with Control
Those stick figures sort of bug me, some of them even list names of the young kids, and show interests. Young Bobby like skateboarding, thats nice. And Dad like kayaking, and Mom is a scrapbooker. :doh:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Well shoot.. I break all the rules.

I have a lot of pride in what I've done in my life, and I don't care what people think of me, and I don't hide behind some silly name on the internet.

If I piss you off and you want to see me face to face, I'm not hard to find, but I also don't say things to just piss people off, or if I do it's to make a point.

Name on my vanity plate?? Yep.. "ITSBOB"

My military background.. YEP.. ARMOR CAVALRY on the back window..

With that every college I've been/ graduated from except the current one. Clarion U (PA) JHU.. and now I need to find one for GWU..

Yep.. I'm proud of me, and I'm not too worried about someone confronting me about being me, or being pissed off at me for something I said or did in here.