$8,000 for a 2-ton heat pump?

danjuandemarco

AKA Captain Awesome
Is that normal? I feel like I'm getting ripped off here. I haven't agreed to the estimate yet, and plan on getting at least one more estimate, if not two, before agreeing. That just sounds like it's over two grand more than I expected to pay, like they might be lining their OWN pockets with my IRS and SMECO rebates($1500 and $400, respectively), instead of passing the savings to the customer. It's to have the Carrier 2-ton 19 SEER Infinity system installed in one of the older Wildewood condos.

Any recommendations as to contractors I should call? Any thoughts on Besche Oil, T.N. Bowes, Jiffy Plumbing and Heating, or Winters?

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Is that normal? I feel like I'm getting ripped off here. I haven't agreed to the estimate yet, and plan on getting at least one more estimate, if not two, before agreeing. That just sounds like it's over two grand more than I expected to pay, like they might be lining their OWN pockets with my IRS and SMECO rebates($1500 and $400, respectively), instead of passing the savings to the customer. It's to have the Carrier 2-ton 19 SEER Infinity system installed in one of the older Wildewood condos.

Any recommendations as to contractors I should call? Any thoughts on Besche Oil, T.N. Bowes, Jiffy Plumbing and Heating, or Winters?
I had a Rheem, 3 ton, 16 SEER system (AHU & heat pump) installed about 2 years ago for a little over $5K.

19 SEER is pretty good.

glhs837

Power with Control

TN Bowes did right a few years back. New outside unit, new ducting.

foosballpaul

With new unit, new air handler, new line set, new thermostat, and no new duct work, that estimate sounds about 3K too high.

stew77

recommend for heat pump

We used Booth Heating and Airconditioning in Hollywood, Wayne Booth 240-538-1480. tell then Stew sent you! They did an outstanding job for my 3.5 ton unit! Good people! Quick work, and I thought reasonable!

1badsilverado

1badsilverado
I just paid $6500 for a 2 1/2 ton 15 seer "American Standard" system for my downstairs. inside and outside units and new lines. Hooked up to the existing ductwork. I got back $1500 IRS, 400 smeco, and 500 manufacturer rebates after. So total out of pocket will be $4100.

danjuandemarco

AKA Captain Awesome
Thanks guys, I thought that sounded pretty high.

Although I guess with the mentioning of a 2.5 ton 15 SEER unit for $6500, I should add that one of the offers on the estimate was for a 15 SEER for about that same price point, so that kinda makes me feel better.

1badsilverado

1badsilverado
Forgot to tell ya. Mine was with Wayne Boothe also. Very paticular about his work, which is a plus for the owner. He's a fellow southern Marylander to. So it keeps the money in the county.

dorothydot

Avoid Jiffy like the plague! They did install a heat pump - haier, never heard of it! - and were slow, lazy and would not honor their guarantee.

It would not hold coolant. They came out monthly and toyed with it, added the refridgerant and all - then next month, failed again.

Soon as the guarantee was up, Bam! Gee, shucks - there's a great big old hole in one of the major lines. Unit was defective.

So we got a second unit from Winters - it's done pretty well.

NO MORE JIFFY!!!!!
Dot

danjuandemarco

AKA Captain Awesome
Avoid Jiffy like the plague!

Haha! Yea, I had one of their guys come out the other day for an estimate. He was a pretty nice guy, who seemed pretty helpful. Unfortunately, they wanted $7,500 for a 13-SEER Ruud. I asked about a 15 or 16-SEER so I would be eligible for the IRS and SMECO rebates, and he said that the cost increase wouldn't make it worth it unless I was sticking around for 10-15 years. :shocking:

After he filled out the on-site estimate, he said that they could be back as early as tomorrow to do the install. Everyone else is backed up at least a week. I wonder why people aren't lined up to have their HVAC installed by Jiffy...:sarcasm:

I'm going with Besche. The guy that did my estimate was outstanding. Very professional and honest. I'll be getting a 16-SEER Trane unit with almost all of the bells and whistles (he didn't talk those up, I inqured about most of them myself) for a price much closer to what I expected to pay.

onelove6366

Jiffy is a rip off - don't use them!!!! I've been burned with a plumbing issue and I have a little more inside knowledge that I won't divulge but suffice it to say they are a waste of your money. I did force them to give me money back on the contract though since they screwed it up so bad and I HAD TO FIGURE OUT THE PROBLEM AND THEN MAKE THEM CORRECT THEIR BAD WORK!

I am a Trane fan all they way and would never have Carrier installed in my home - personal preference I suppose.

Carrier used to be called AES Carrier and was family owned. Some years ago the family sold out and now the company is run by a bunch of corporate geeks and the quality of their equipment has gone down significantly - that is my experience on the commercial side of things at least.

I can't wait to replace the system in the house we bought 2 years ago and hope that within say 5 years we can do it but it will include ductwork and all since the current system STINKS and was installed by a Sears contractor under the previous owner. I plan on going for Trane equipment and in my mind shouldn't spend more then $10,000 including ductwork.

Maybe I'm delusional but I feel that what you are being quoted is high and so are the other prices people are reporting!

Haha! Yea, I had one of their guys come out the other day for an estimate. He was a pretty nice guy, who seemed pretty helpful. Unfortunately, they wanted $7,500 for a 13-SEER Ruud. I asked about a 15 or 16-SEER so I would be eligible for the IRS and SMECO rebates, and he said that the cost increase wouldn't make it worth it unless I was sticking around for 10-15 years. :shocking:

After he filled out the on-site estimate, he said that they could be back as early as tomorrow to do the install. Everyone else is backed up at least a week. I wonder why people aren't lined up to have their HVAC installed by Jiffy...:sarcasm:

I'm going with Besche. The guy that did my estimate was outstanding. Very professional and honest. I'll be getting a 16-SEER Trane unit with almost all of the bells and whistles (he didn't talk those up, I inqured about most of them myself) for a price much closer to what I expected to pay.

JoeMac

For 19 seer it sounds about right. Did you ask if that's the best they could do or a cash discount if you're paying cash?

danjuandemarco

AKA Captain Awesome
Yea, as I was shopping and taking in other estimates, I found that the high price of the first estimate was part SEER rating, and part Carrier brand-markup. Probably would have gone with that company if they offered Trane or American Standard units. Carrier doesn't have anything less than 1.5 ton, which is slightly overkill since I'm in a 960 sq foot mid-level condo. I have a 1.5-ton right now, and it cycles way too often. Since the neighbors insulate me on five sides, I rarely use much heat until winter kicks in full force. Trane has a dual-speed 1.25/2 ton unit which would work better for me.

NBF

Jiffy is a rip off - don't use them!!!! I've been burned with a plumbing issue and I have a little more inside knowledge that I won't divulge but suffice it to say they are a waste of your money. I did force them to give me money back on the contract though since they screwed it up so bad and I HAD TO FIGURE OUT THE PROBLEM AND THEN MAKE THEM CORRECT THEIR BAD WORK!

I am a Trane fan all they way and would never have Carrier installed in my home - personal preference I suppose.

Ok onelove6366, it's been five years now. Did you ever replace that unit that came with your house? Looking for a follow-up.
Carrier used to be called AES Carrier and was family owned. Some years ago the family sold out and now the company is run by a bunch of corporate geeks and the quality of their equipment has gone down significantly - that is my experience on the commercial side of things at least.

I can't wait to replace the system in the house we bought 2 years ago and hope that within say 5 years we can do it but it will include ductwork and all since the current system STINKS and was installed by a Sears contractor under the previous owner. I plan on going for Trane equipment and in my mind shouldn't spend more then $10,000 including ductwork.

Maybe I'm delusional but I feel that what you are being quoted is high and so are the other prices people are reporting!

Ok onelove6366, did you ever replace the unit that came with your home in 2008? It's been five years since this post. Looking for an update LOL...

BigBlue

I just paid $6500 for a 2 1/2 ton 15 seer "American Standard" system for my downstairs. inside and outside units and new lines. Hooked up to the existing ductwork. I got back $1500 IRS, 400 smeco, and 500 manufacturer rebates after. So total out of pocket will be $4100.

I went through Olympic Air and can't complain ,mine is all so an "American Standard" all I did was upgrade my blower an added a Talking T(thermostat) inside they all so cleaned and blew out all existing duct work .$4000 (in 2010)