Suggestions needed ASAP, please

kwa592

I'm moving out of town to start a new job and the wife is staying here to get the house ready for sale. The problem is our little terrier(?) mix dog - we were never able to get him house broken, I can't take him with me and I'm not sure the wife will keep her sanity if she has the stress of worrying about the dog on top of everything else. He's sweet and lovable, but he's also about 15 years old which means he's deaf, stubborn, and occasionally acts like a grumpy old man. She wants to take him to the shelter, but I’m wondering if there are any other short-notice options out there?

Thanks!

TurboK9

I'm moving out of town to start a new job and the wife is staying here to get the house ready for sale. The problem is our little terrier(?) mix dog - we were never able to get him house broken, I can't take him with me and I'm not sure the wife will keep her sanity if she has the stress of worrying about the dog on top of everything else. He's sweet and lovable, but he's also about 15 years old which means he's deaf, stubborn, and occasionally acts like a grumpy old man. She wants to take him to the shelter, but I’m wondering if there are any other short-notice options out there?

Thanks!

He's 15. The chance of a shelter rehoming him successfully is not good.

My honest opinion? Sounds cold, but your best quick-fix option at this point, IMHO, is euthanasia, particularly if you have been sole owners. Dumping him at this point will cause him more pain and confusion than you will suffer by having him euthanized.

JMHO.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
He's 15. The chance of a shelter rehoming him successfully is not good.

My honest opinion? Sounds cold, but your best quick-fix option at this point, IMHO, is euthanasia, particularly if you have been sole owners. Dumping him at this point will cause him more pain and confusion than you will suffer by having him euthanized.

JMHO.

Thanks, that was my suggestion..doubt they have the balls.

Cowgirl

Wow. I can't believe anyone would even consider bringing a 15 year old dog to the shelter. The poor thing would be incredibly stressed out. You owe it to your dog to be responsible for him, even if that means euthanizing him. At least then you can ensure he won't be scared and left at the shelter, to be possibly euthanized by strangers in a scary place.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Turbo's back yard, perhaps? :shrug:

:evil:

Fact; up here, at the livestock auctions, it is advised you keep your trailer locked while you are inside because desperate people will put their animals in your trailer. Things are bad all over.

Toxick

Splat
I'm picturing myself as an old man.

I'm picturing my kids coming on here asking for advice on nursing homes.

I'm picturing you people suggesting to my kids that they just Kevorkian my ass.

Nice.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Wow. I can't believe anyone would even consider bringing a 15 year old dog to the shelter. The poor thing would be incredibly stressed out. You owe it to your dog to be responsible for him, even if that means euthanizing him. At least then you can ensure he won't be scared and left at the shelter, to be possibly euthanized by strangers in a scary place.

:yeahthat:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy

Nice.

It's sad that we can't euthanize adults, actually.

Rehoming a very, very old dog is a fine idea..dropping him at a shelter is not. A shelter is not comparable to a nursing home on any level.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
wow....

I do wonder.... was it just him that took care of the dog? do they want the dog after the home sells and she moves out...(even if she was able to take care of him - or get rid of the house and dog at the same time?)

if they wanted to really keep the dog.... kennel/crate him while she is doing stuff to the house and let him out to go potty :shrug:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Devastating. I can't even imagine. I have sacrificed tons of times to make sure my animals were always loved and taken care of by me. I had T for years and lived in some crummy places because they were the only places that allowed pets, ate rice for months in order to pay for medical bills, etc. And when his time came I bawled like a baby for days. I can't imagine, ever throwing away an animal. 15 years is a long time to just abandon. I just can't imagine this. I'm going home and giving my dogs extra treats tonight.

If you are tossing your dog like yesterday's leftovers, you at least owe him to be there with him when they euthanize him. A shelter at this time in his life is intensely cruel and unforgivable.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Nice.

I'll be selling a "Death Panel" kit for this Christmas, home edition, with a little gavel, black robes and a 'bleed out' kit. With an environmentally safe, biodegradable waste bag, of course.

We will also offer a discount package where you simply call a cab and give him directions to Turbo's back yard. Also a green friendly solution. :buddies:

:evil:

KDENISE977

My suggestion would be to seek therapy. That's heartless, cold and irresponsible pet ownership at it's finest. Shame on you.:boo:

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Put him down. It is far nicer than having him sit in a ####ing shelter for days until they decide to do it. And I sincerely hope you are some kind of internet troll or MPD because the thought that people can be so cruel and selfish really makes me depressed.

Toxick

Splat
A shelter is not comparable to a nursing home on any level.

Nonetheless, if a dog were to have the capacity to speak, and you were to ask the dog: "Would you like to stay in this shelter for a while, or would you like us to inject this Drano into your jugular right now", what do you think his answer might be?

Confusing & scary or not, I submit that euthanizing a dog is several orders of magnitude more disgusting than giving it a chance at a shelter.

TurboK9

Nice.

How about:

Picture yourself as an old dog.

Picture yourself only ever knowing one family, one home, one connected familial scent.

Picture yourself blind.

Picture yourself suddenly being in a small enclosed area surrounded by barking dogs and unfamiliar scents with nothing that you know.

Picture living in fear and confusion with and boredom for fourteen (dog) years or so before passing away alone in a cage, no family, nobody you know nearby, after living the last seven years smeared in your own pee and poo daily because your bowels and bladder control failed.

I'm picturing goofy people who think there are nursing homes for dogs.

JMHO, my wife is a GNA, and I've had relatives in nursing homes. Please, if I ever need that level of care, just let me die with dignity. :shrug:

Last edited:

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
Oh for crying out load. Get a big dog kennel, put puppy paper on the bottom, let the old fart pizz and poop to his hearts content in a heated basement, closet, whatever......

Just make sure he's (and the kennel) not in the house when you show it.

He'll die soon enough on his own.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Nonetheless, if a dog were to have the capacity to speak, and you were to ask the dog: "Would you like to stay in this shelter for a while, or would you like us to inject this Drano into your jugular right now", what do you think his answer might be?

Confusing & scary or not, I submit that euthanizing a dog is several orders of magnitude more disgusting than giving it a chance at a shelter.

How often you get to a nursing home to see a loved one? Most of them would probably choose to have Drano injected into their jugular...they just don't know how to ask.

And you're assuming a dog thinks like a human.

kwa592

Soooo.... basically, no one knows of any one or any place that adopts older pets and my only choices are the shelter or killing him? Thanks.