Chris Mathews is just dumb...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...nothing special like uber dumb. Just run of the mill, boring old dumb.

He's taking Romney to task for being against the tax deal and being 'all over the place' in terms of positions and not wanting Obama to get a victory with this tax deal yet, Howard Fineman is on there correcting him that what Romney is for, what Romney is FOR, in his OWN words in his editorial today is...making existing rates...

...permanent.

And on goes Chris, oblivious.

I used to think, when Chris wrote his book, Hardball, that he was really smart. It's been sad to watch him, over the years, just reduce himself to this simpering dolt. Maybe he always was?

It never ceases to amaze me, people in pretty big places that are just...dumb.

:shrug:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It was your book. Didn't you say you enjoyed it, too? Or no?

I enjoyed it for what it was. But I've always thought Chris was an idiot and I shut him off for good when he ripped that SBV guy to shreds, screamed at him and wouldn't allow him to respond.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I enjoyed it for what it was. But I've always thought Chris was an idiot and I shut him off for good when he ripped that SBV guy to shreds, screamed at him and wouldn't allow him to respond.

K.. I couldn't remember if you enjoyed the book as much as I did.

philibusters

He's taking Romney to task for being against the tax deal and being 'all over the place' in terms of positions and not wanting Obama to get a victory with this tax deal yet, Howard Fineman is on there correcting him that what Romney is for, what Romney is FOR, in his OWN words in his editorial today is...making existing rates...

...permanent.

I used to think, when Chris wrote his book, Hardball, that he was really smart. It's been sad to watch him, over the years, just reduce himself to this simpering dolt. Maybe he always was?

Chris was always Chris, but he wasn't as partisan 11 years ago as he is now.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Being in a constant state of amazement at our current situation, as you surely must be, it is a wonder how you manage to maintain a regular life.

:lol:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Being in a constant state of amazement at our current situation, as you surely must be, it is a wonder how you manage to maintain a regular life.

Define 'regular' life.

I absolutely love the internet because facts and figures and entertainment are a few clicks away. I enjoy knowing what is going on. And, obviously, my job allows me opportunity to keep up with stuff frequently and, thanks to the forums, to comment regularly as well. It's way more fun than yelling at the TV or radio! :lol:

The flip side is that I have much opportunity for...amazement.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Chris was always Chris, but he wasn't as partisan 11 years ago as he is now.

I disagree with that. He has always been partisan. I would argue that he used to make more sense.

Or, maybe it is just that 11 years ago it was not as easy for the public to know when the commentariate is spinning? Or how bad they are doing it?

philibusters

I disagree with that. He has always been partisan. I would argue that he used to make more sense.

Or, maybe it is just that 11 years ago it was not as easy for the public to know when the commentariate is spinning? Or how bad they are doing it?

I used to watch circa 1999/2000 . That was the day before cable news became so partisan, but he was careful not to be a liberal partisan. Now MSNBC encourages because that is what their viewers want and means higher ratings. With an economic incentive to be partisan he has changed a lot.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The 2000 election was the turning point for Chris and a lot of other Lefties. And now that I think about it, the Clinton impeachment hearings was an eye-opener. Prior to that, I don't recall journalists being so overwhelmingly and obviously partisan.

After Clinton, it seemed to level out, then came back bigger and better than ever with Bush/Gore. Then the Bush years were an out and out bias-fest, leading into the joke that is Barack Obama.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Define 'regular' life.
You have a stable family, friend network, career, activities you enjoy doing. Given the current political and media crops, you could easily never move off the couch from being in that aforementioned state of amazement. Self-control becomes highly valuable at times like this. :lol:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The 2000 election was the turning point for Chris and a lot of other Lefties. And now that I think about it, the Clinton impeachment hearings was an eye-opener. Prior to that, I don't recall journalists being so overwhelmingly and obviously partisan.

After Clinton, it seemed to level out, then came back bigger and better than ever with Bush/Gore. Then the Bush years were an out and out bias-fest, leading into the joke that is Barack Obama.

I'd have to agree that Florida 2000 did the trick. Prior, there was PLENTY of partisanship but, it was more disagreement as opposed to the 'stolen' election, 'lied, people died', 'waterboarding is torture', 'the unemployed create jobs', whackery.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!

...permanent.

So the book didn't send a thrill up your leg? :coffee:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
So the book didn't send a thrill up your leg? :coffee:

No.

I enjoyed, as I recall, the wholesale vs. retail politics stuff he covered. The getting people invested in your success art of politics.

He just struck me then as a rather analytical, intelligent and clear thinking person.

Now, he's just a freaking kook. He said several years ago, chastising a left wing guest who was accusing Bush or Cheney or whomever of being of evil intent and Chris stopped him and said "I never, and on this show we don't allow, the questioning of people's motives. We make the assumption that anyone in public life is operating from the best intentions and from there, we can agree and disagree on the substance, on the policy..."

That's long gone.

exnodak

Chris Mathews was a product of Tip O'Neil. He grew up in his shadow and tried to become his image.

Since Tip passed away, Chris has slowly emerged as his own person and is now throwing off the shroud of T.O. revealing his own personal agenda.

As long as Tip was alive, and for a while after his death, Chris had some diplomatic political compass. With the compass gone and memory fading, Chris has lost his moral and diplomatic compass and joined the ranks of the likes of Ed.

He's a lost, scared little boy.