The GOP and the Banks

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link

"America's debt to Wall Street has soared since 1945 - and although the banks were rescued at public expense, the public's been left holding the bag for the recent drop in housing prices: (Chart)

What does this mean? Does it reflect the public's subconscious response to predatory banking? Or is it just some guy having nerdy fun with data sets by juxtaposing two trend lines that have nothing to do with one another? We report, you decide.

Here's what we do know: Like their fictional counterparts, America's banks are revenants, re-animated creatures who were brought back from the dead through the public's generosity. Now they're feasting on the rest of us again, while politicians in Washington work to rob us of the few tools we can use to defend ourselves. With some Democratic complicity, Republicans are fulfilling the promise of Rep. Spencer Bachus, who said that "Washington and the regulators are there to serve the banks."

And what they're serving them is you.

The rap sheet against America's banks grows longer and longer. They keep stringing people along with phony foreclosure negotiations, and then foreclose anyway. And we're hearing more and more stories about bank agents who, as they're invading and padlocking illegally foreclosed homes, also steal the private property inside them. In a recent ghoulish case, they stole a box containing the ashes of the homeowner's husband - ironically enough, from a woman named Ms. Ash. Even vampires don't do that."

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
So everything the democraticlly controlled congress has done in the last 4 years is now the fault of the Republicans?
It's understandable since they've been in charge of half the legeslature for about 6 hours :lol:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Anyone care to reflect on why so many Democrats voted for TARP? Supported the bailout of GSE's Fanny and Freddy? It would not have passed absent broad Democrat support including the junior Senator from Illinois and our recent Speaker of the House.

How many D's were for the Community Reinvestment Act Jim Carter signed into law in 1977 that forced banks to start loaning money to people that were higher risk?

The vast majority of House Democrats voted for the repeal of Glass/Steagal, signed into law by President Clinton (D) that turned banks lose to seek ever riskier business.

To be for sure, The GOP has earned huge scorn for their role in helping create and support the current housing and banking disasters were are suffering. They could have done none of it without their equal, perhaps more equal, partners in crime.

I agree with the premise that the banks have ill served us. We might actually do something positive about it if we spend less time on blame, however inaccurate and uniformed, and more time on making the banks, like their political servants...serve us.

Vince

Anyone care to reflect on why so many Democrats voted for TARP? Supported the bailout of GSE's Fanny and Freddy? It would not have passed absent broad Democrat support including the junior Senator from Illinois and our recent Speaker of the House.

How many D's were for the Community Reinvestment Act Jim Carter signed into law in 1977 that forced banks to start loaning money to people that were higher risk?

The vast majority of House Democrats voted for the repeal of Glass/Steagal, signed into law by President Clinton (D) that turned banks lose to seek ever riskier business.

To be for sure, The GOP has earned huge scorn for their role in helping create and support the current housing and banking disasters were are suffering. They could have done none of it without their equal, perhaps more equal, partners in crime.

I agree with the premise that the banks have ill served us. We might actually do something positive about it if we spend less time on blame, however inaccurate and uniformed, and more time on making the banks, like their political servants...serve us.
:yeahthat: But our political servants as well as the banks don't feel they need to serve us, but that we work for them and they can do as they damn well please. :shrug:

Pushrod

Patriot
Thing is guys and gals, the banks, unlike our elected officials, are not our servants. They are a business whos goal is to make money, that is their bottom line! They are not elected, they are like any other mom and pop business. Like any other m&p business, they should not have gotten any type of 'bailout' and if their business practices were bad, then they should have failed and gone away and there assests been bought by a bank that had conducted business in a more moral and honest way.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Thing is guys and gals, the banks, unlike our elected officials, are not our servants. They are a business whos goal is to make money, that is their bottom line! They are not elected, they are like any other mom and pop business. Like any other m&p business, they should not have gotten any type of 'bailout' and if their business practices were bad, then they should have failed and gone away and there assests been bought by a bank that had conducted business in a more moral and honest way.

Bull effing ####. When I give them several trillion dollars of our money, you gaht damn right they work for me.

This is why TARP was so terribly wrong because, at first glance, you are correct; they are businesses. However, the moment they take my dime to cover their business mistakes, they are MINE.

Or should be. :lol:

Vince

Bull effing ####. When I give them several trillion dollars of our money, you gaht damn right they work for me.

This is why TARP was so terribly wrong because, at first glance, you are correct; they are businesses. However, the moment they take my dime to cover their business mistakes, they are MINE.

Zactly.

Pushrod

Patriot

No, I agree once they are given charity taken by the point of a government sword from our pockets, they are no longer just a business. It just should never have gotten to that point. Any bank that took TARP funds is a zombie bank in my opinion. Same with any other company that gets 'bailed' out.

MMDad

Lem Putt

I see it the opposite way. As soon as We the People mandated who they loan to, where they loan, how much they charge, and how they do business it was our responsibility to save them when the house of cards fell. It's so easy to blame TARP, but it is merely a symptom of the problem.

TARP was hush money to keep the banks from coming after the real problem - Bawney Frank, Fannie, and Freddie.