Thank you Obama

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
For pulling your head out your a$$ and actually giving a speech that did not require a Teleprompter and giving a great NON partisan, NON political speech on the tragedy in Arizona. You said many great things I respect, 180 degrees off the partisan bullsh!t your handlers have fed you. BRAVO! :buddies:

The_Twisted_Ear

A proud Conservative!
Based on his past history - I still don't trust him. He plays "the game" better then any politician I ever known. Everything he does is for a specific reason and outcome. This might be the beginning of his "turn around" to get re-elected. IF he is re-elected - he will go right back to his political agenda. Such a shame...

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Based on his past history - I still don't trust him. He plays "the game" better then any politician I ever known. Everything he does is for a specific reason and outcome. This might be the beginning of his "turn around" to get re-elected. IF he is re-elected - he will go right back to his political agenda. Such a shame...

Funny (funny strange, not funny ha-ha), my impression was "campaign speech"...

SamSpade

I had two feelings about it. My first was it struck me as trite and a little late coming from someone who plays the stick in your eye partisan game more than any President or politician I've ever seen, including Clinton.

But the other was that - I need to find the transcript - it's as though it was saying "ok, enough with the harsh language stuff because we all know what THAT leads to". It was putting a smiley face over the charge that his critics caused the tragedy and asking us to get along, but not acknowledging that the idea itself is preposterous.

With Obama you always need to see if he still means it even as briefly as a week later.

High-Def

I had two feelings about it. My first was it struck me as trite and a little late coming from someone who plays the stick in your eye partisan game more than any President or politician I've ever seen, including Clinton.

But the other was that - I need to find the transcript - it's as though it was saying "ok, enough with the harsh language stuff because we all know what THAT leads to". It was putting a smiley face over the charge that his critics caused the tragedy and asking us to get along, but not acknowledging that the idea itself is preposterous.

With Obama you always need to see if he still means it even as briefly as a week later.

I thought the same thing about the clapping...it was a memorial for those who died....weird :confused:

laynpipe

the news was playing interviews from folks that were at the event as well as residents of az. the feeling from people in az was overwelmingly good towards obama for the message in his speech. in fact, i was speaking to a very right leaning friend of mine who told me he gained a new respect for him after he listened to his speech.

Mongo53

:yeahthat:

All that clapping was somewhat odd.
Yes, It was getting to have a touch of the flavor of a pep rally. No where close to the disgrace that was the Paul Wellstone memorial, no even close.

Obama's comments on political discourse, I wished he hadn't made it, BUT, he did NOT go over the line, for the most part his speech was appropraite.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!

Oh trust me, doesn't mean I'm turning over my house keys to him anytime soon, I just thought it was an appropriate speech with some pretty good thought put into it. I did however wish the freaking Obama college groupies should have kept some of the screaming down.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
. I did however wish the freaking Obama college groupies should have kept some of the screaming down.

x10. The behavior of some of the students in the audience was entirely inappropriate, IMO. It sounded throughout like they thought they were at a political event or a pep rally.

The indian chief didn't do much for me either....

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
the news was playing interviews from folks that were at the event as well as residents of az. the feeling from people in az was overwelmingly good towards obama for the message in his speech. in fact, i was speaking to a very right leaning friend of mine who told me he gained a new respect for him after he listened to his speech.

Why? Because he saw an opportunity to be center stage?

ginwoman

:yeahthat:

PsyOps

Pixelated
Speech good - Venue bad. I could tell Obama was uncomfortable with the whole scene. Mistake #1 was inviting a bunch of hyperactive college students that thought they were coming to a party or concert. I felt like I was watching a Backstreet Boys concert. I don't think this was Obama's fault at all and he handled it with as much dignity as he could.

:yay: to Obama

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
Speech good - Venue bad. I could tell Obama was uncomfortable with the whole scene. Mistake #1 was inviting a bunch of hyperactive college students that thought they were coming to a party or concert. I felt like I was watching a Backstreet Boys concert. I don't think this was Obama's fault at all and he handled it with as much dignity as he could.

:yay: to Obama

All these swooning girls and college students still vote. Venue and audience selection was intentional. Don't believe otherwise.

Baz

This. ------------------>
I have to admit, I'm slightly surprised by most of your reactions to his speech. I expected it to be pulled apart and twisted into some pretzeled criticism, but that has not been the case. :cheers:

I agree that it seemed a little off having so much applause at this sort of thing. But as others have pointed out, the size of the venue inevitably led to that.

Applause is the audience's way of letting the speaker know they agree with what he's saying, and of acknowledging the people he mentioned in the speech. (Obviously.) So I have no problem with that, it's just that we're not used to so many people being at this type of event. At least I'm not.

Last edited:

Toxick

Splat
Does anyone happen to have a link to the transcript handy? I missed the speech, and streaming video is not an option at the moment.