Skull Mexican Restaurant - PF

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Meh.

We went there tonight for Thing2's birthday. I was really sick on his birthday, and couldn't even really taste food until today, so we didn't go out to dinner that day.

This restaurant opened up after Saffron moved to a new location. We really like La Tolteca, as it's close and we've always had very good service & excellent food. SO many choices and you get a LOT of food for the prices on the menu, too.

But since this place was new, we figured we'd give it a try. We were the first to arrive when we went at about 5:30. The name is a little off-putting, but the restaurant inside was very nice. Neat, clean looking and tables set very nicely. Service was really good, but unfortunately, the food was mediocre, nothing to really rave about.

The Things got the beef nachos as their meal - that's what they like. Those were okay, but nothing special. For $7.95 they got a good portion, but Outback's nachos are huge compared to these. Thing2 said he didn't think there was enough cheese & they were bland. No jalapenos on it, even.

I had the chimichanga dinner, which was supposed to be a chimichanga with beans & meat, along with rice and a salad for $9.95. I thought it odd that it came with salad, but I was sure I'd have enough food & I like salad, so I kept that as a side. I asked for guacamole on the side with it. The dinner arrived and had a huge chimichanga, but it was filled mostly with rice, along with some shredded beef & refried beans spread on the tortilla inside. It was very bland. I could taste the spiciness of the salsa, and the guacamole we had - so I know it wasn't my taste that was off. (Thing2 agreed that the taste was plain).

There was a large side portion of rice, which was wasn't spicy AT ALL and it was actually too much, because there was all that rice (as a filler) in the chimichanga. There was nothing in the rice to give it much flavor - it tasted like plain rice with some enchilada sauce mixed in. (or something like that)

The "salad" was sad! It on the plate as a side, not in a bowl on the side. It was just a little bit of iceberg lettuce, strips of red & green pepper & I think I spotted a small piece of cucumber. Of course, I guess I should have asked about it before I got the meal - but live and learn. Needless to say, I was disappointed in the "salad", as well. :ohwell: I did like the guacamole, and used it to help liven up the taste of chimichanga. But all of a sudden I came to a big hunk of something in the bottom of the ramekin. :cds: It was lettuce! The entire bottom of the ramekin was lined with lettuce. I could see if you put the guac on a bed of lettuce on a plate - but in the ramekin - it was used as filler and I felt cheated of a spoonful or 2 of the guacamole!

Overall, we were underwhelmed & disappointed by the food. I think they are cutting corners by using those fillers, too. I'm not impressed by that. We probably won't go back, as there are other places with better Mexican food to choose from.

Katelin

one day the dark will end
Thank you for the great review.... I too, am a fan of LaTolteca.. :buddies: Wonderful food , well prepared, a lot of it, and very reasonable prices!! Looks like I'll stay with them.
Sorry for your less than stellar dining experience.

Happy Birthday to your son!! :howdy:

loriv

I have to second the review posted. We went in the week after they opened. I was immediately put off by the mish-mash of decor but attributed that to the fact that they were probably still working on their appearance. The food was just as confused. My gut tells me maybe they're trying to go in the direction of Jalapeno's in Annapolis, but if so, they're missed the mark by 6 miles. We got Queso Fundido as an app. It was made with cheddar cheese, which anyone can tell you seizes up like a brick once it cools down. It's supposed to be a creamy dipping type cheese with the Chorizo mixed in. The stuff I make at home is better (and I'm no cook). I got grilled shrimp which was served with rice and salad. The shrimp was over cooked and coated with Season All. The rice and salad were edible but nothing special and nothing I'd expect at a Mexican place. Service was ok but the thing that made me crazy... the typos in the menu. Again, I attributed it to the fact they were new and still working things out.

Now, it's only fair to say that DH is of Mexican decent, so there are certain expectations within our food senses. But even my purely caucasian I'll-eat-almost-anything senses were offended by this place. When the kitchen door opened DH proclaimed that he'd found the reason for the bizarre menu options and the mediocre food... there were no Mexicans in the kitchen, only caucasians...it's become a running joke in our house (and only meant in the best sense of fun).

While we try hard to support our community businesses and try hard to give extra attention to the smaller places, this is just one we won't be going back to.

If anyone's had a great meal there, I'd love to hear about it.

Bann

PREMO Member
I've heard Mexico is great, but is it a family oriented restaurant, or more of a pub/bar restaurant? I usually go with my kids, is the reason I ask. How are their prices? The prices at La Toleteca are hard to beat and you get authentic tasting mexican food, and you get a lot of it.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I've heard Mexico is great, but is it a family oriented restaurant, or more of a pub/bar restaurant? I usually go with my kids, is the reason I ask. How are their prices? The prices at La Toleteca are hard to beat and you get authentic tasting mexican food, and you get a lot of it.

:lol: Lots of families eat there. It has a small bar but in the back area of the restaurant. Prices are extremely reasonable, staff is great and the food is excellent but it gets packed.

Typical family style, separate area for a bar from the dining area. Pretty decent, prices not bad, but I still prefer Salsas in l'town. Tried to go there tonight, couldn't get near the place. Also didn't get into Laughing Buddha, same thing. I keep forgetting that Friday evening is NOT the time to go out for dinner. After driving around I finally wound up at 5-Guys. Not my idea of a great evening dinner.... :lol:

Dye Tied

Garden Variety Gnome
Typical family style, separate area for a bar from the dining area. Pretty decent, prices not bad, but I still prefer Salsas in l'town. Tried to go there tonight, couldn't get near the place. Also didn't get into Laughing Buddha, same thing. I keep forgetting that Friday evening is NOT the time to go out for dinner. After driving around I finally wound up at 5-Guys. Not my idea of a great evening dinner.... :lol:

I've never had 5 Guys..well at one time .

Bann

PREMO Member
:lol: Lots of families eat there. It has a small bar but in the back area of the restaurant. Prices are extremely reasonable, staff is great and the food is excellent but it gets packed.

This is why I typically try to choose places nearby so we can go EARLY & beat the crowds. Kind of a holdover from when Thing1 was younger and had less of a tolerance level for lots of activity and noise in crowded places. But you do beat the crowds when you go earlier, and since waiting/patience is a virtue he has less of ... :biggrin: (although he does take his iPod now and that is good for taking up his attention when we have to wait!)

We'll have to try Mexico sometime.

Bann

PREMO Member
I've never had 5 Guys..well at one time .

:jet:

The 5 Guys over here love me! :dance:

There are a few guys who've been there a long time (for a burger joint - that's good!) They know they embarrass me when they call my name out loud when I arrive. So they always say it REALLY LOUD: "Bann's in the house!!!" when I get there. :rolleyes: :lol:

We got burgers there tonight since it's just me & Thing1. Long week, & even longer day since Thing2 left on a weekend trip at 4:45am!! I didn't feel like cooking tonight!

Khurley

We went there last night and it was horrible. The margaritas were the worst I have ever had and when we told the waiter he sent the bartender over. The bartender said he would fix it and proceeded to bring 4 bottles of tequila to our table and poured them into our glasses straight from the bottle. Needless to say they were still awful. We asked if we could get 2 beers instead and the bartender came back and told us according to the ABC liquor laws he could not take the charge off of our bill, but would give us our beers in trade. At the end of the meal we wound up paying 12 bucks for 2 beers. The food was tasteless and mediocre at best. It was a total comedy of errors that we unfortunately had to pay for in the end. If they are trying to be like Jalapenos in Annapolis as the previous post said then they totally missed the mark because that place is great. If staying in the county then La Tolteca would be a better bet.

Toxick

Splat

I've taken my family to the one in Lusby (R.I.P.) many times. The bar is separate from the restaurant, even moreso than Applebees or Outback. Quite a good family environment, and I've always enjoyed the food (especially the ixtapa fajitas!) and the prices are reasonable.

Anyone know what happened to the Mexico in Lusby? I took the fam there a few months back, and it was just gone like a freight train, gone like yesterday. Kind of disappointing.

Where is there a La Toleteca around here? I am a La Toleteca fan, but I didn't know there was one anywhere around these parts.

molly_21

Anyone know what happened to the Mexico in Lusby? I took the fam there a few months back, and it was just gone like a freight train, gone like yesterday. Kind of disappointing.

They closed down because they had issues with parking between Walgreens and the bank. Plus when Montery's opened they really had issues. Alot of people still did not know they were there, which is a shame as I like them alot better than Montery's. Now I have to go to Huntingtown (or Waldorf) if I want Mexico. But I did go to the one in Huntingtown yesterday and they said they will be opening up a Mexico in Annapolis also.

elgskye

They closed down because they had issues with parking between Walgreens and the bank. Plus when Montery's opened they really had issues. Alot of people still did not know they were there, which is a shame as I like them alot better than Montery's. Now I have to go to Huntingtown (or Waldorf) if I want Mexico. But I did go to the one in Huntingtown yesterday and they said they will be opening up a Mexico in Annapolis also.

Or run over to Salsa's Restaurant in Leonardtown. Great food and very good service! Best Mexican food in St. Mary's.

thrash

For the record, all the people in the kitchen are of hispanic origin. The white people you saw may have been the wait staff. Just thought I'd clear that up. :p