GOP picks Priebus to head party, replacing Steele

Severa

Common sense ain't common
Dang, beat me by 3 minutes. Will this new guy make a difference? Never even heard of him before tonight, so I can't say.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Will it make a difference?

Define 'difference'; better for the GOP? Worse?

I can't imagine Steel having been less visible during the lead up to last fall. He certainly went about things very differently than Dean did leading up to 2008. It would seem, though, that anyone could have 'lead' the GOP and it was the TEA party, not the GOP, that provided most of the energy and enthusiasm.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Define 'difference'; better for the GOP? Worse?

I can't imagine Steel having been less visible during the lead up to last fall. He certainly went about things very differently than Dean did leading up to 2008. It would seem, though, that anyone could have 'lead' the GOP and it was the TEA party, not the GOP, that provided most of the energy and enthusiasm.
Difference for me would be unseating the incumbent in the White House.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Well, Bayner (Boehner :lol:) made that very, very difficult. He just tied the GOP directly to the mess Obama has extended and added his own signatures to. Independents, who decide our elections, can't help but see the GOP and Obama as joined at the hip by the tax deal, can they?

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Why does the RNC's debt receive so much media attention as part of this story??

RNC, DNC each $15M+ in debt - Andy Barr and Molly Ball - POLITICO.com

Interesting.

The complaint is there was a lot of exorbitant and inappropriate spending, and not a lot of accountability.

I'm not altogether sure Michael Steele was right for the job after all, he seemed to want to be in the spotlight a lot, kind of thrived on it. And he made some dumbass statements. But then again, he *did* raise $108 million!

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Well, Bayner (Boehner :lol:) made that very, very difficult. He just tied the GOP directly to the mess Obama has extended and added his own signatures to. Independents, who decide our elections, can't help but see the GOP and Obama as joined at the hip by the tax deal, can they?
Well, as an unaffiliated person, unless it is a Congressperson that gets the GOP nomination, I don't see that as an issue. I have always felt that regardless of who it is that ends up in Congress it will always be business as usual, spending and redistributing the wealth without a conscience or care. An outsider to that DC machine could excite many to allow for them to obtain the Presidency. And I was wondering if that will be what Priebus will try to do or will it be just more of the same under his reign.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Not looking good.

Priebus has come under fire from conservative activists for his role in seeking federal stimulus funds during his time at the Michael Best & Friedrich law firm in 2009. Priebus was a member of the firm's "Stimulus Legislation Team," which sought to "identify opportunities, prepare appropriate proposals and make targeted contacts to secure [federal] funds.” He has denied association with that team, though numerous documents appear to show his membership.[14]

Reince Priebus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Looks like the GOP is, step by step, marginalizing the TEA party people.

How do you make the case against Obama policies if they were good enough to stick your hand out for?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
So, as you see it, any chance at unseating Obama will come either from his own party or a third party such as the TEA party people.

Heck if I know. I still can't believe what Baynor did. I mean, Obama basically continues Bush policies, the country has had enough, the TEA party comes to life, takes over congress, Baynor gives it back, the economy, fundamentally is still broken and there isn't much hope for things to get much, if any, better to help Obama yet, the GOP is now tied to the mess after shaking free the last 18 months so, why would they win? On what argument? A third party can't win but can guarantee Obama a second term yet, people typically don't win when they are in charge and things are bad so, heck if I know. :lol:

PsyOps

Pixelated

I would much rather they focus on picking up even more seats in the house and taking over the Senate with a super majority. With that, Obama can keep the WH. It would be fun watching him being rendered completely ineffective and the democrats screaming and squirming the entire time.

Last edited:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I'm glad Steele is gone, IMO somewhat of a disappointment... :coffee:

I was all for the guy. Disappointment is an understatement.
Something changed between lt guv, running for senate and then this.

:buddies:

I agree. But he did also raise a lot of money. Which is one thing he's supposed to do.

ANYhoo, I am anxious to see what the new guy is going to be like. I'm not sending money to them unless I see big changes. I'd rather keep my money local - like I did with in our most recent congressional race. Yes, he lost, but my money helped him get further than any other candidate. I'm not going to put my money into the RNC if they keep on like they were the last few years.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Why does the RNC's debt receive so much media attention as part of this story??
As Larry has said of Rs vs. Ds, the Rs campaign on [fiscal] responsibility and they are supposed to be conservative, whereas Ds are pretty up front about their desire to burn every dollar they take in and then some. So when the bills are tabulated, the Rs look like liars and fools for going outside their own boundaries, but everyone knew the Ds would blow away the bank because that is what they do best. :lol:

As to the OP: Probably more of the same. I am not familiar with this new guy, but as has already been indicated, I have a feeling he will 'forget' everything the TEA Party did for the Rs and end up playing a leaky defense and worse offense. :shrug:

itsbob

I bowl overhand

If Boehner lasts longer than 4 hours you may be suffering from Priebus and you should go see a doctor.