Ten Myths About Gun Violence.....

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
The group's name says it all. :rolleyes:

To learn more about U.S. gun laws, see LCAV's new publication Gun Laws Matter, which analyzes and compares firearm laws and statistics in all 50 states. Notably, LCAV ranks Arizona's gun laws as the weakest in the nation.
I wonder if their great new publication also clued them in to the fact that the state of Vermont has even weaker gun laws (i.e., there are no gun laws), yet VT has a murder rate that is a piddly fraction compared to that of P.G. Co., where there are, coincidentally, a ton of gun laws. :tap:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
The Legal Community Against Violence has published Ten Myths About Gun Violence

Read more here here. (PDF)

Legal Community Against Violence

Then there's Chicago, DC, Philadelphia, Kosovo, Yugoslavia. All places with the strictest gun laws and the most deaths, injuries and crimes involving guns. I find it interesting they "forgot" to mention any of those connections.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Vapid point; #1; We should be the safest nation in the world if guns make us safe. And we're not.

Rational response; Given the most violent places in America don't allow people to carry a weapon, point one is like saying seat belts don't make us safer...when you don't use them.

Vapid point #2; We should just enforce the laws we have...

...and then talk about the laws we DON'T have.

This isn't worth comment any more than saying apples aren't oranges.

#3 good point but, pointless; guns don't just affect urban areas. Gun violence rates are the worst in areas with the most restrictive guns laws.

#4 I agree; there is no constitutional reasoning against some restrictions on guns anymore than absolutes on speech. I don't think Westerboro has any right at a funeral they clearly intend to disrupt and I don't think I have any right to a nuclear bomb. However, the argument is over what 'common sense' means. As we've seen so far, much of the anti 2nd amendment agenda is not about common sense restrictions but prohibitions and, certainly, as we see, not logic.

#5; agree, gun laws can work to the public good. Again, the debate would be over 'common sense'. When LA erupted into riots, I would have wanted my daughters to be free to swing by the gun store on the way home if they decided they needed a weapon. In this computer age, there is no reason to not have a system in place that would allow a law abiding citizen to buy a gun at their pleasure or desire. And no reason to not be able to see a Jared Loughner's record showing death threats and other negative interaction with law enforcement.

#6 I agree with also. Yes, gun laws punish the law abiding, by design. However, criminals do worry as well about gun laws. To the extent they are enforced. Which brings us back to #2. Gun charges get dropped all the time because they are insanely punitive which keeps the law abiding fearful of over stepping but also leads to judges and lawyers throwing them out against people with laundry lists of other crimes.

#7 What is 'normal'? Is it 'normal' to have high rates of gun violence in areas with very prohibitive gun laws and then argue we need more gun laws? Criminal use is THE problem.

#8 Maryland is the poster child for why it is true that government abuses gun laws. Joe Curran, when as AG, pushed gun law interpretation where for minor domestic or civil crimes that COULD have had felony charges applied, but did not, that the defendant would lose his already limited gun rights.

Saying government won't abuse power is like saying sugar won't give you cavities.

#9 Political suicide? Why wouldn't a politician just vote for what they believe in and show some character and principle? Maybe it's not fear of voting for restrictions but, fear of voting for yet another dumb gun law that doesn't address the problems?

#10. The granddaddy of them all is a myth? Guns actually just up and kill people? Like pencils? Garden shears? Butter knives? Baseball bats?

I wonder if it would lead to more productive governance and a more perfect union if those who were against guns, period, would just say so, and leave the actual legislation to adults intent on actual common sense regulation and just stop with trying to cloud the right to keep and bear arms by delegitimizing the pro second amendment folks as myth makers by creative us of...myths?

:buddies:

hvp05

Vapid point; #1...
Leave it to you to actually read that. :lol:

But since you went through them, that made me curious. I like the "personal quotes", as they encapsulate the idiocy nicely. Would any of those scenarios have changed with tighter gun laws?

Specifically, the little girl on the cover who said, "You shouldn't mess with guns. You might not know what it does, you might not know how it works and you might pull the trigger." A shooting occurring under those circumstances would have to be an accident and born of ignorance, not willful violence. The conclusion to be drawn is that we will become more knowledgable by never touching a gun or otherwise being exposed to them. :crazy:

Similar to the kid who got shot by his father's hunting rifle. Are there going to be laws mandating auto-engaging safeties? Auto-locking cabinets? Do we blame the couch for being there to set the gun off? If those are ridiculous, what is the solution - a government gun overseer in every household to make sure ACCIDENTS don't happen? :crazy:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Specifically, the little girl on the cover who said, "You shouldn't mess with guns. You might not know what it does, you might not know how it works and you might pull the trigger."

Modern liberals fears guns because, at core, it represents the power of the individual to resist, specifically, resist the force of government to impose upon that individual and to, frankly, take. Criminals don't like armed people either. Nor do dictators and kings and other purveyors of tyranny.

So, appeal to a child and ask them about someone being hurt BY A gun. Ask a child about being hurt with a knife. Or a baseball bat and you'll likely get the same response.

Now, ask a kid about fairness and whether or not they would like to buy their friend an ice cream because they have the money and their friend doesn't. Then, after they've said they'd like to buy for their friend, ask them how they feel about having to do it.

Libs only like what kids have to say when it serves their purpose.

hvp05

Libs only like what kids have to say when it serves their purpose.
As I began reading this, I started to ponder what our laws might be like if we allowed four-year olds (as that girl was when she made the statement) to craft our laws instead of the crop of Leftists now in their respective offices. We might be better off, or we could be a lot better off. :lol:

I liked how many times they employed automobiles and driver licensing as parallel to gun ownership and registration. Can someone refresh my memory where the right to possess/drive a vehicle is listed in the Constitution? Or where states have been so kind to allow the people the privilege of gun ownership? :shrug:

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
As I began reading this, I started to ponder what our laws might be like if we allowed four-year olds (as that girl was when she made the statement) to craft our laws instead of the crop of Leftists now in their respective offices. We might be better off, or we could be a lot better off. :lol:

I liked how many times they employed automobiles and driver licensing as parallel to gun ownership and registration. Can someone refresh my memory where the right to possess/drive a vehicle is listed in the Constitution? Or where states have been so kind to allow the people the privilege of gun ownership? :shrug:

Well, you make a good point. However, we don't want 4 year olds making laws, guns or tax. We're supposed to be the adults.

As I say, I have no problem with common sense gun regulation any more than I have a problem with automobile registration and safety regs.

In fact, if we play their game, consider; OK, we treat guns like cars; you walk down to the DMV, answer 20 questions, take a rudimentary performance safety test and, viola, you can go buy a gun anytime the dealer is open. You buy a gun insurance policy which is based on your age and what gun you're buying, your safety record, etc and, all of a sudden, I can have that SUV I always wanted...with a chain gun. :yahoo:

Of course, the premiums are probably gonna suck. And, I go around drunk, shooting stuff up, I might have my chain gun license suspended.

:evil:

Let's ask the left of they actually wanna treat guns like cars.

:popcorn:

exnodak

Then there's Chicago, DC, Philadelphia, Kosovo, Yugoslavia. All places with the strictest gun laws and the most deaths, injuries and crimes involving guns. I find it interesting they "forgot" to mention any of those connections.

You left out Mexico which has the strictest gun laws in North America, if not the Western Hemisphere.

hvp05

Let's ask the left of they actually wanna treat guns like cars.
:lmao:

I say, that is a jolly good idea!

Mailing Address
268 Bush Street, # 555
San Francisco, CA 94104
Phone (415) 433-2062
Fax (415) 433-3357

Let us know what they say. :snacks: