High School Redistricting

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Any thoughts? My child is only in 6th grade so I don't know if this will affect her or not when's she goes to high school. The only part I'd have a problem with is the fact they expect parents to shuttle their children to one of 3 central locations to catch a bus. I'm sure a lot of working parents will not be able to do this especially if they leave before their child does.

School Redistricting Public Hearing to be Held TONIGHT - Southern Maryland News, Charles County, Calvert County and St. Mary's County News

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
The recommendation to the Board is to implement Plan 1 with grandfathering for current 9th, 10th, and 11th grade students who will be 10th, 11th, and 12th grade students during the 2011-2012 school year, with hub transportation.
Why grandfather any except those that would be seniors so that they could graduate with the class that they have been with since the plan seems to indicate it is for next year only?

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Not sure. Maybe they consider them already established at the high school so why move them when they've already been there 1,2, or 3 years.

RPMDAD

At least in Calvert County when they redistrict schools, they redistrict bus routes.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I believe I heard it effects apprx. 150 kids. The article gives the streets where the redistricting takes place. They seem fairly close together. Would it be that hard to get a bus to do these roads? Even two if possible? I'm sure they'd say it's not in their budget.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Why grandfather any except those that would be seniors so that they could graduate with the class that they have been with since the plan seems to indicate it is for next year only?

Maybe Leonardtown cannot accomadate all the incoming 8th graders next year.

Any thoughts? My child is only in 6th grade so I don't know if this will affect her or not when's she goes to high school. The only part I'd have a problem with is the fact they expect parents to shuttle their children to one of 3 central locations to catch a bus. I'm sure a lot of working parents will not be able to do this especially if they leave before their child does.

School Redistricting Public Hearing to be Held TONIGHT - Southern Maryland News, Charles County, Calvert County and St. Mary's County News

If you don't want to take your kid to the hub, then they go to the redistricted school.

awpitt

Main Streeter
At least in Calvert County when they redistrict schools, they redistrict bus routes.

They do in St. Mary's as well. The bus issue is for those who want to stay at their current school during the "grandfather" period. If a family wants to go ahead and have their kid start going to CHS next year, than they'll have a regular bus stop.

Last edited:

If you don't want to take your kid to the hub, then they go to the redistricted school.

awpitt

Main Streeter

Did you read the article?

Is says this impacts students who live in the areas that are listed and who will be in 10th, 11th, and 12th grades next year. Those are the students who's parents have the option of having their kid remain at LHS and using one of the central bus locations. If they don't want to deal with that, they can choose to have their kid go to CHS which is the district they now live in. Next year's 9th graders will go to CHS.

party301

i'll think of one.....

so they actually expect parents to be involved and help out with transportation. how dare they. i mean i could not imagine having to rearrange my schedule because of something as pointless as a childs education. i mean how much can they possibly expect parents to do?:sarcasm:

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Don't be an ass. Not every parent has the option of rearranging their work schedule to get their kids to the hub if needed. Not everyone has a network of people who are ready and willing to take said child to school.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Did you read the article?

Is says this impacts students who live in the areas that are listed and who will be in 10th, 11th, and 12th grades next year. Those are the students who's parents have the option of having their kid remain at LHS and using one of the central bus locations. If they don't want to deal with that, they can choose to have their kid go to CHS which is the district they now live in. Next year's 9th graders will go to CHS.

Sorry, I misunderstood what it meant when I read it. Thanks.

Don't be an ass. Not every parent has the option of rearranging their work schedule to get their kids to the hub if needed. Not everyone has a network of people who are ready and willing to take said child to school.
The alternative is your child would attend the different school from that point forward. It is the same that would be expected if a new school was built but in the case of a new school it would affect thousands of kids not just a couple hundred.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I am wondering if this is permanent or only for this years 8th graders going into high school next year? My daughter is only in 6 grade but already complaining :lol:

I am wondering if this is permanent or only for this years 8th graders going into high school next year? My daughter is only in 6 grade but already complaining :lol:
It is a "redistricting" which means it would be permenant until the next time they feel a need for redistricting.

This really isn't that different for 8th graders then what has already been in place. I know many LMS middle schoolers that had to go to a Chopticon or Great Mills High because the high schools have different boundaries than the moddle schools. They had to leave their Leonardtown friends behind. It happens every year.

Last edited:

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
That's her big thing is leaving her friends. Of course when 5th grade was over she begged to go to Margarent Brent MS because she was so sure all her friends were going there. She ended up knowing a lot of kids at LMS and I'm sure it'll be the same when she has to go to Chopticon and not LHS.

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
So, getbent, you keep saying Chopticon like it's a bad thing. And is your issue that you don't want to have to plan and get your kid on a bus at a hub or that your kid may have to go to a different school? Who's this really about?

Trust me, some of us here aren't that thrilled about having more kids in Chopticon...