Southern Maryland Hospital

Goofy20

I'm having a baby and I am due to deliver at Southern Maryland Hospital. Anyone ever delivered here? Just wanted to know how to place is, nurses, doctors, etc. Also, if the rooms are private or separated by a curtain. Thanks! :0)

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I delivered at Southern Maryland almost 14 years ago. I had a separate room, but there are rooms that are shared. I have no complaints about the hospital or staff.

thebird

I'm having a baby and I am due to deliver at Southern Maryland Hospital. Anyone ever delivered here? Just wanted to know how to place is, nurses, doctors, etc. Also, if the rooms are private or separated by a curtain. Thanks! :0)

I had both of my sons there. The first went great, the nurses were amazing and the doctors knew their stuff. The second was about 2 years ago and it was a terrible experience. It may have just been my unique case or a bad week for the nurses but I will NEVER go back there.

mmesser0

C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS!
I've never delivered there, but have had several friends who did and all had terrible experiences. I avoid Southern Maryland Hospital at all costs. That hospital is a mess. I delivered both my babies at St. Mary's with Dr. Polko and had the best experience/nurses ever. Hopefully your delivery goes smooth and you have no problems with the nurses and such.

Anyone ever delivered here? Just wanted to know how to place is, nurses, doctors, etc. Also, if the rooms are private or separated by a curtain. Thanks! :0)

I delivered some stuff there once. Didn't see any rooms while I was there so can't help you on that, but I did see lots of doctors and nurses so you're good on that one!

keepsmiling

My sister delivered there two years ago, and I must say I was quite impressed. Her husband works at Andrews and this is the hospital that her Dr. performed deliveries. She was a high risk pregnancy, so she was there for one month. They treated her wonderfully!!!! The baby was given the best care and attention too. She's thinking about having a second child, and she will return to the same Dr. and Southern Maryland Hospital.

And CONGRATULATIONS!!!!:yahoo:

RPMDAD

Can't say anything recent, my son was born there ( he just turned 18 last month), but everything there was good. The facility was nice, nurses were good and friendly, staff was fine. Treated my wife and son wonderfully, can't say anything bad about the experience and neither did my wife.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Can't say anything recent, my son was born there ( he just turned 18 last month), but everything there was good. .

I'm in same boat..my youngest daughter was born there..24 years ago...so I'm guessing I'm not any help either.

LandingInLondon

I delivered my baby girl there six months ago. I thought it was an okay experience. Some of the nurses are better than others. A few of my friends have delivered there within the past 5 months and they didnt have any complaints.

poster

I delivered my baby girl there six months ago. I thought it was an okay experience. Some of the nurses are better than others. A few of my friends have delivered there within the past 5 months and they didnt have any complaints.

I delivered there 10yrs ago, no complaints.
Private delivery room but not the room after.
Worked out well for us because there were minor complications.
Had I delivered at Calvert (which was my preference) my daughter would have been sent to another hosp while I stayed behind.
Had one nurse with bad attitude but all others were great, overall experience was fine. Today, I'd still want to go to Calvert but wouldn't freak out if they told me I had to go to SOMDHosp.

Roman

Hospital

I did my Clinical's there a few years back. I thought the Hospital was perfect. In the Maternity Section, the security was outstanding, and if I can remember correctly..the rooms were separate. Very clean, and very professional & Caring. I'd rather go there for anything, than I would to Calvert Memorial, and I'm in the Medical Field.

EASTERBUNNY77

I had my 3rd daughter 3 yrs ago there and I had a horrible experience..The nurses, doctors were wonderful, but I had a c-section which means I should have had a private room(more risk of infection) but my roomate was the most ghetto, lowlife piece of trash.. she was barely 19 yrs old, on her 3RD child and she called at least 4 guys telling them to come down to see the baby they were the father. Which is none of my business,but it was strange. But the worst part about her was the fact that she had 3 of her loudmouth friends in the room ALLL day!!! It got so bad that I was on the phone with my husband while he was at work and I could not hear him. Thats when I lost it and yelled at them to STHU!! I complained again and again to the nursing staff about them but nothing changed.

I told the girls this a maturnity ward, not a social club. And this was only the tip of the iceberg, while there I heard a woman screaming and kicking the walls while security took her away, CPS took her baby away. Sadly the baby tested positive for drugs. And if that wasnt enough, one of the mother patients PUNCHED a CSM student nurse in the face. I swear I felt like I was in the hospital ward of a jail. It made my whole exp. of having my daughter HORRIBLE. But I did have my 1st and 2nd child there with no issues, but then again I had a private room. Sorry to ramble on, but you should know exactly what you are walking into!! Congrats and good luck.

queenpwb

My first child was born there in 06 , had a great experience . The nurses were very nice and always helpful and I even had my own room with a second bed for my husband to sleep in. My second child was born in 09 there also. This time around I had a c-section and they put me in a room with another mother. Thank god my nurse realize that I needed my own room the second day and move me . So its not terrible but be prepare to share a room. Oh and CONGRATS!!!!

vegmom

Bookseller Lady
I had Veggirl there almost 14 years ago. Much depends on what nurse you have at what hour. My girl was stubborn and I was in the labor-delivery room for 12 hours. First nurse was an older, more experienced nurse and very straightforward and reassuring (esp breaking the news I was having back labor). Second nurse kept trying to have me push while lying flat (really???) and I could not convince her for the life of me that the epidural had worn off (I had been able to do a can-can the whole time, so no, I was not numb). I had to do my best Linda Blair impression to get more anesthetic.

Care after Veggirl was born was great.