PSA serious one

limblips

PREMO Member
I came home last nite from work and picking up dinner, dropped the bags on the stove since counters were full. Stove top was off. Went in to bedroom to say hi to my beloved and we chatted for a while. I smelled something and asked if she had lit a candle. She said no. I ran to the kitchen to double check and found a fire on the stove top. When I had put down the bags, the acorn squash hit and turned on a burner! I know stupid place to put stuff, but kitchen is being remodeled and counter space is limited. Smoke detector went off just as I was leaving the bedroom. A million to one but it could have been a real disaster. Lesson: never put anything on the stove unless you intend to cook it.

kalmd

Wow, glad it turned out ok. I put groceries on the stove and counters all the time, when I come home from the grocery store. Did it today in fact. Never thought about it causing a fire. I'll keep that in mind in the future.

Good PSA to pass along... sometimes we just don't give things like this a second thought unless someone makes us stop and think about it...:yay:

I came home last nite from work and picking up dinner, dropped the bags on the stove since counters were full. Stove top was off. Went in to bedroom to say hi to my beloved and we chatted for a while. I smelled something and asked if she had lit a candle. She said no. I ran to the kitchen to double check and found a fire on the stove top. When I had put down the bags, the acorn squash hit and turned on a burner! I know stupid place to put stuff, but kitchen is being remodeled and counter space is limited. Smoke detector went off just as I was leaving the bedroom. A million to one but it could have been a real disaster. Lesson: never put anything on the stove unless you intend to cook it.

That is a big duh. Nothing goes on the stove but pots and pans. Same as leaving stuff in the oven.

limblips

PREMO Member
That is a big duh. Nothing goes on the stove but pots and pans. Same as leaving stuff in the oven.

I said it was stupid but everybody does some stupid thing now and then. I just wanted to make people aware of the danger. From now on I will keep my stupidity to myself. :howdy:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Moral(s) of the story:

Never point a loaded stove at an acorn squash

Always treat a stove as if it's loaded

Stoves don't burn people, people do

Sweet 16

^^8^^
I set a bag of shredded cheese on our stove today not realizing the burner was still warm and part of it melted. :ohwell:

Glad you caught it in time!

frequentflier

happy to be living
I said it was stupid but everybody does some stupid thing now and then. I just wanted to make people aware of the danger. From now on I will keep my stupidity to myself. :howdy:

This reminds me of a guy I knew many years ago that rented an apartment and started moving stuff in before the electric was turned on. Previous tenant (or whoever) left the stove turned on, the guy had placed stuff on top of it not thinking to check. Everything he owned burned up. Everyone where I worked at the time chipped in to help him out.

FED_UP

This reminds me of a guy I knew many years ago that rented an apartment and started moving stuff in before the electric was turned on. Previous tenant (or whoever) left the stove turned on, the guy had placed stuff on top of it not thinking to check. Everything he owned burned up. Everyone where I worked at the time chipped in to help him out.

I new a dude that would not even leave his apartment if the heated dryer was running.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I new a dude that would not even leave his apartment if the heated dryer was running.

I don't either. :shrug: I don't leave any appliances running when I leave the house. You never know what kind of malfunction might occur when you leave, so I just think it's better to be safe, than sorry.

Besides, I doubt homeowner's insurance would cover something happening these days if you leave appliances unattended and they malfunction.

toppick08

I don't either. :shrug: I don't leave any appliances running when I leave the house. You never know what kind of malfunction might occur when you leave, so I just think it's better to be safe, than sorry.

Besides, I doubt homeowner's insurance would cover something happening these days if you leave appliances unattended and they malfunction.

:yay:

BernieP

Resident PIA
pet peeve

I don't like it when people leave things on the cook top, things that can melt or catch on fire. But it seems to be the place where microwave users like to sit the "stuff' that's in the mircowave.