Nobody Should Need A Driver's License

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Georgia Republican: Nobody Should Need A Driver's License | TPMMuckraker

"Republican Georgia state legislator Bobby Franklin thinks that driver's licenses impose undue restrictions on the right of citizens to travel. So he's proposed legislation to stop the state from issuing them.

"Free people have a common law and constitutional right to travel on the roads and highways that are provided by their government for that purpose," Franklin's legislation states. "Licensing of drivers cannot be required of free people, because taking on the restrictions of a license requires the surrender of an inalienable right."

In an interview with CBS Atlanta News, Franklin claimed driver's licenses are a throw back to oppressive times.

"Agents of the state demanding your papers," he said. "We're getting that way here."

He misunderstands the reason for a license: To prove you've had at least some basic training in the operation of a motor vehicle.

oldman

Lobster Land
Listening to the scanner as much as I do there are plenty of people that agree with Bobby. Most have had them but lost them for various reasons.

MadDogMarine

The guy in Georgia is correct. I have multiple legal briefs in my possession
that stipulates you CANNOT take a fundamental right(right to travel) and turn it into a state(govt) granted privilege and license it. The Constitution is a restriction on the acts(power) of govt., NOT a source of our rights. Our rights are Creator given, not some bureaucrat given.
That is what makes out country unique from all others.
Drivers' licenses are now used to force child support, national ID card(papers please), debt collection , IRS tracking, etc,ad nauseum. Since they are all put into a national data base,it would make Hitler proud.

He misunderstands the reason for a license: To prove you've had at least some basic training in the operation of a motor vehicle.

That was the lie given to implement the licensing scheme. For so called "safety qualifications" ,all you need is a Certificate of Competency" like CPR. Why is it I can get a certificate that says I am qualified to save a life but I need a LICENSE to use my private property on a public right of way payed for by our tax dollars. Those whose licenses are revoked or suspended are caught everyday on the roads so there is certainly no improved safety for me and my family, that is for sure. But it is an excellent revenue generator and control scheme for govt. bureaucrats.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Why do they suspend it for not paying child support then?

Why do they suspend it for not paying child support then?

I assume, as was pointed out, because it's not being used as originally intended.

And the cert vs. license argument makes some sense, although I see a very fine line between the two.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
you CANNOT take a fundamental right(right to travel) and turn it into a state(govt) granted privilege and license it.

Oh horse####. Nobody is taking away anyone's right to travel. They can travel all they want. They just can't drive a car.

Walk, ride a bike, hitchhike, take the bus - the possibilities for travel are endless.

Oh horse####. Nobody is taking away anyone's right to travel. They can travel all they want. They just can't drive a car.

Walk, ride a bike, hitchhike, take the bus - the possibilities for travel are endless.

They also will take it away for driving off without paying for your gas. Should the same logic be used for any "shoplifting" theft?

That's just silly. Everyone knows shoplifters should be executed.

On the spot! Now that would get me to go to WalMart more often!:lol:

Actually that may be too harsh, maybe just lop off one hand for the first offense.

"Cleanup in the store penalty section!"

Code H. "Manager we need a hand here."

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Actually anyone can drive without a license, a drivers license only allows you to get stopped for infractions of driving laws and regulations.

You don't need a license to start a car or put it into drive, but if you get stopped for speeding you WILL need it to continue your journey in your car.

Don't speed, don't get caught, you don't need a license.

Very simple concept when you don't think about it.

Actually anyone can drive without a license, a drivers license only allows you to get stopped for infractions of driving laws and regulations.

You don't need a license to start a car or put it into drive, but if you get stopped for speeding you WILL need it to continue your journey in your car.

Don't speed, don't get caught, you don't need a license.

Very simple concept when you don't think about it.

Plus what are they going to do? Take away your license?

MadDogMarine

You forgot crawling on our hands and knees!!
I have heard your argument many times. One can't walk and you can't ride a horse without endangering yourself. etc since there are no walk paths or horse paths from my home to a bus or other public transportation.
If that is the way they wanted us to exercise our right to travel, then why aren't footpaths,bicycle paths etc, built along all the public roads?
My daughter wanted to walk to work a while ago. She put on a back pack and left. I got a call 30 minutes later from the Sheriff's Office. They stopped and illegally searched her for drugs etc. and I had to come pick her up.
Not only was her "right to travel" infringed as well as her right to be free from unreasonable searches, her respect for the police went way down from that point on.
So your argument is the real horse****.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Not only was her "right to travel" infringed as well as her right to be free from unreasonable searches,

Okay, obviously one of those has nothing to do with the other. People walk all the time and I'm assuming cops don't stop and search all of them or we'd see them lined up all down Chancellor's Run Rd.

So YOUR argument is horse####. NYAH! :razz:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
They stopped and illegally searched her for drugs etc. and I had to come pick her up.
Not only was her "right to travel" infringed as well as her right to be free from unreasonable searches, her respect for the police went way down from that point on.
So your argument is the real horse****.

Your example is total horse****. As in 'did not happen' ..that kind. :howdy:

If it did..you would have a news article about the incident to link to. :coffee:

MadDogMarine

If it did..you would have a news article about the incident to link to. :coffee:

What an unbelievable comment. If she was arrested and found with drugs there would have been an article in the paper. She was just one more innocent victim of an unlawful "stop and search". But, according to you, those things just don't happen!! Your utopia only exists between your ears.

TurboK9

Sorry Gilligan, I believe him.

I've been pulled over on a mountainbike for failing to signal a right turn, while the car that was in front of me made a left with no blinker, LOL.

I was also walking home from work one night in St Paul when I lived there, and reached into my jacket for my phone... and had a squad car dump out two cops who ordered me to the ground and searched me... they said they saw me go for a gun!! :lol: The effing cell phone was in my hand as they searched me :lmao:
So yeah. That sort of crap does happen.

:shrug: