Seriously, help me here

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I really don't understand the attraction toward paying a fortune to watch a movie with a bunch of rude strangers and yammering teenagers. Not to mention that so few movies these days are enhanced by a big screen.

So seriously, tell me what it is you all like about the movie theater that you would pay not only the admission, but the outrageous prices they charge for soda, popcorn and candy? Because I can't imagine anything that would entice me to do that.

SoccerMom2

I really don't understand the attraction toward paying a fortune to watch a movie with a bunch of rude strangers and yammering teenagers. Not to mention that so few movies these days are enhanced by a big screen.

So seriously, tell me what it is you all like about the movie theater that you would pay not only the admission, but the outrageous prices they charge for soda, popcorn and candy? Because I can't imagine anything that would entice me to do that.

I like watching movies at home! It cheaper and plus you don't have people telling you to put your shirt back on.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
I can't even remember the last time I went to the movies. No movie looks so good that I need to see it right away. I like the fact that I can watch it at home, pause it when I need to, etc.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
We rarely go to the movies, but we do sometimes just to have a nice date night when there isn't a whole lot to do around. SO and I have vastly different tastes in activities but we can generally agree on dinner and a movie :shrug:

thurley42

HY;FR
I go to the movies alot on Friday afternoons, there is seldom anyone else in the place....

as far as the prices...i might get a drink but none of that other crap it's not good for me!:buddies:

No argument from me. I fell asleep 10 minutes into a DVD last night. Tonight, or maybe this weekend, I get to try it again, doesn't cost more.

Cowgirl

Our small town movie theater is hardly fancy, but I've never been to a movie there and had to deal with rude teens or other people. Matinees are $5 and a large popcorn and soda are $4 each. We don't often go see movies, but I'll gladly go spend $18 and have a date w/ hubby.

Dukesdad

I saw true grit in LP a couple weeks ago. I go occasionaly and have never had a problem with the people there inside or out. Like everything else the cost has gone up but what hasn't?
I'd like a better theater in town, and can always buy the DVD and watch at home, but some movies I want to see on a big screen so I go and make due. :popcorn:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
We rarely go to the movies, but we do sometimes just to have a nice date night when there isn't a whole lot to do around. SO and I have vastly different tastes in activities but we can generally agree on dinner and a movie :shrug:

I did that too...until the wife found out.

dontknowwhy

the only thing i go to see at the movie theatre is Harry Potter...I take my daughter...It's our daddy/daughter date....I figure if thats all my lil girl wants is that 1 date with me when the movie comes out, i'd better accomodate

party301

i'll think of one.....
you mean people still go to the movies? i haven't been to one in years. i can't see paying $8 per ticket then add on all the other crap when i could wait a couple of months and then just buy it for $15 and watch it on my TV (which granted doesn't have a 40' screen) and my surround sound.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Basically the LP theater is not the cleanest and at times we have experienced "technical difficulties". The theater(s) are small soI don't think of them as "big screen" - only slightly bigger then my tv.

The people, both inside and out, haven't been a real issue.

Not there for a meal, we share a soda and popcorn. (also not interested in having to "excuse" myself during the show because I had to much cola)

Advantage over in home viewing; no dogs, no phones (at least not ours) and no interrupts from people coming in to "ask you" a question.

Advantage at home; with both cable and sat tv you now have movies that are pretty much first run and 2 (or more) can watch for less then the price of one.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Last movie Ott and I saw in a theater was Bird Cage. He did take the grandkids to a move a few years ago.

foosballpaul

I haven't been to a movie since the Drive-In closed. Now that I have a 65" T.V. with surround sound I doubt I will ever go to one again. Back when you could take your date/wife to a Drive-In movie you could maybe expect to get a little more for the price of the ticket.

MMDad

Lem Putt
There is only upside to the theater: the floor is the best way to get cat hair off the bottom of your shoe.

The last movie I saw in the theater was Independence Day. I don't really count taking the kids to see kid movies since it is almost always more painful then getting my wisdom teeth pulled.

The only local theater that I will go to is the base theater. It's the opposite of the ones in LP and PF. Cleaner, reasonable price for tix and snacks, begin the show with everyone standing for the national anthem, and the only people who talk are those who don't know any better, not punks who want to piss everyone off.

FED_UP

I have not been to a movie theater in a long time either, not so much the cost, I would rather be in the comfort of my own home with the flat screen. But yea the prices for the movies are crazy, spend money on one candy bar and you could have brought a bag at the store, ridiculous.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I'm one of those people who loves movies, so I'll go to the theater if there's something out that I've been really looking forward to seeing. The base theater is inexpensive, and the theater where we lived in NC was even cheaper. Every once in awhile we'll go to a theater with stadium seating. As far as rude/talkative people - I've only had one bad experience in my entire life, and that was a few years ago at the theater in Lexington Park (the one and only time I'd ever been there).

Sweet 16

^^8^^
About the only movie I'll see in the theater is when I take my son to the midnight Harry Potter premiere. I usually only buy one bag of popcorn and bring my own water because refreshments end up costing as much or more than two tickets! Now that he's growed-up, I probably won't set foot in a theater anymore.