OH crap, he's back!

CrashTest

Will be curious to see what lefty at MSNBC his show will go up against. Not much lefty viewership to spread around.

DipStick

Keep Calm and Don't Care!
Current is owned or controlled by Al Gore. Obie's a perfect fit.

If you had ever watched Current, you would never know Gore owned it.

I don't like this move. It's all about ratings and money -- Olbermann doesn't bring anything to Current except ratings... this is going to transform a non-partisan and basically open source network and turn it in to what everyone who's never watched it thinks it is.

ImnoMensa

If you had ever watched Current, you would never know Gore owned it.

I don't like this move. It's all about ratings and money -- Olbermann doesn't bring anything to Current except ratings... this is going to transform a non-partisan and basically open source network and turn it in to what everyone who's never watched it thinks it is.

Never head of it.

Must be some sort of underground network where ostrich's with their heads in the sand can watch.

DipStick

Never head of it.

Must be some sort of underground network where ostrich's with their heads in the sand can watch.

It's not on the basic package. Not a lot of people watch it -- I would say the people who have heard of Current are few and far between and finding someone who's actually watched it is probably harder than finding a Jacksonville Jaguars fan in Lower Manhattan. Hence, bringing Keith Olbermann on board.

Current is basically an open source public affairs network. It's PBS meets YouTube. Most of the programming is user generated -- mini-documentaries or reports about one particular subject. But they're very good reports and they're a very different aspect...

I haven't seen how they're handling Egypt but I'll try anyways using their coverage in the past.

Msnbc and CNN are on location showing you video of the protests and the violence, talking about what it means for Egypt's future and analyzing the situation. FOX News Primetime (I'm trying to sepreate FNC Primetime from FNC Dayside) is very much politically charged. With the exception of Shep Smith's excellent reports and Greta's coverage, their coverage has been aimed more at the Muslim Brotherhood and how the protesters are extremists.

Al-Jazeera is basically "the FOX News of the Middle East". Every other channel is state owned TV (see NPR, PBS). Everything that is reported is 100% controlled by the regimes... you see only what the government wants you to see. Al-Jazeera shows the other side, they show the videos of violence against the demonstrators and etc. That's why Egypt and Iran both had them shut down and have their reporters arrested.

Now, Current... if you were watching a report on Current, it would likely be from an American college student or an English speaking Egyptian student. They would talk about living conditions in Egypt, take you around Egypt and film every day life. That's the background you've heard about on the news but have not seen first hand.

Simply put, Current is educational while MSNBC/CNN/FOX are entertaining while sometimes being informative.

If you watch a report about Sudan or Egypt or some other international story on Current, you walk away with much more knowledge about the situation than if you watched on MSNBC or FOX.

DipStick

Funny how common that trait is.

Yep, seems to be a common attitude in American politics (especially from those who profit in the free market from anti-capitalism commentary:killingme).

"I want wealth, but don't give anyone else the freedom to achieve wealth!"

"It's wrong for a business to make a profit, but it's okay for me to make a profit #####ing about that business making a profit" (this is Ed Schultz and Dylan Ratigan in a nutshell).

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" :killingme

Pushrod

Patriot
Yep, seems to be a common attitude in American politics (especially from those who profit in the free market from anti-capitalism commentary:killingme).

"I want wealth, but don't give anyone else the freedom to achieve wealth!"

"It's wrong for a business to make a profit, but it's okay for me to make a profit #####ing about that business making a profit" (this is Ed Schultz and Dylan Ratigan in a nutshell).

God bless you, your growing up! :buddies:

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I have current..I was excited to see that it was another channel that has documentaries..(I love them :nerd: ) but found the content on the channel to be realllllly boring. I like Logo the gay channel a lot better..at least they are entertaining.

DipStick

I have current..I was excited to see that it was another channel that has documentaries..(I love them :nerd: ) but found the content on the channel to be realllllly boring. I like Logo the gay channel a lot better..at least they are entertaining.

I wonder if this move, bringing Olbermann in, is a shift for Current. Maybe they're aiming to become the newschannel a lot of people wish they had? It'll be interesting to see who Olbermann attracts to his news division.