Development on Joy Chapel

SamSpade

I drove through the newly paved roads there the other day, and it was clear enough that these were going to be fairly large houses in tiny, tiny lots. As near as I can make out, the houses are anywhere from 2000-3500 sq ft but they're sitting on top of lots about a third of an acre, if that.

First thing I thought was, so what. Then something occurred to me.

Haven't we had build-out limits, requiring new housing to be on lots no smaller than - I don't know - an acre, 3 acres? Aren't there already restrictions in place to keep50-60 new houses to be squeezed into an area the size of a football field?

How did this happen? I think I've heard there are plans to build on all of that former farmland. I thought we already had serious controls to prevent this.

afjess1989

Amount of F##Ks given, 0
I drove through the newly paved roads there the other day, and it was clear enough that these were going to be fairly large houses in tiny, tiny lots. As near as I can make out, the houses are anywhere from 2000-3500 sq ft but they're sitting on top of lots about a third of an acre, if that.

Haven't we had build-out limits, requiring new housing to be on lots no smaller than - I don't know - an acre, 3 acres? Aren't there already restrictions in place to keep50-60 new houses to be squeezed into an area the size of a football field?

How did this happen? I think I've heard there are plans to build on all of that former farmland. I thought we already had serious controls to prevent this.

i really wish they would stop building in general i used to love it here, now its little waldorf, i happen to like farmland and its a lot better looking then a store.

i really wish they would stop building in general i used to love it here, now its little waldorf, i happen to like farmland and its a lot better looking then a store.

If you don't want them to build on a farm, then you need to buy the farm for what the developer would pay for it. Blame Glendenning. He banned the farmers from growing tobacco, nothing else legal brings in the money that it did.

dan0623_2000

To build a home outside of a subdivision you will need 3+ acres of land. Subdivisions can be around a quarter of an acre depending weather they have individual sptic systems and wells or they have public water and sewer. Just another group of MacMansions going up for people who can't really afford them to buy and then default and leave the tax payers with the bill.

They can take the property that is zoned for 20 houses and instead of building 20 houses on 1 acre lots, build them on 1/2 acre lots (read less $ for infrastructure) and then put the rest of the property in "preservation".

party301

i'll think of one.....

it all depends on Transferrable Development Rights (TDR's). if you have land that you want to develop, lets say 20 acres. by law you can build 6 houses, however if you buy TDR's from another piece of land you can then increase the amount of houses you can put on your land. however the land that sold the TDR's will then not be able to build anything else.

Take us for example, we have 14 acres which gave us 4 TDRs. we built our house and then sold the other 3 TDR's. this means that we can no longer subdivide our property or build another house (unless we want to go and buy another TDR). but the person who purchased our TDR can now increase the amount of houses he can build on a properity by 3.

pointfarm

This activity is called clustering - it is intended to preserve open space, larger tracts of land unencumbered by developers...

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I'm really glad there was a nice, new house that was in our budget when we decided to buy. Otherwise we'd be broke trying to make the available hovels livable.