Moving to the area

madison32776

My husband has a job opportunity in Calvert County and we are considering moving to the area. I have a couple of questions. We are thinking of buying a home in either St. Mary's or Calvert County. We do have a 3 year old daughter on the autism spectrum and was wondering if anyone out there has had experience with getting autism support services. Which county provides better services? Which county has better school disricts?
Thanks in advance!

dan0623_2000

I think Calvert has the better school system. As for the austism I would have to defer to others. My aunt sufferent from it and got great treatment in St. Marys.
Shopping is better in St. Mary's but I believe the quality of life is better in Calvert than St. Mary's.
As for Parks and Recreation, Calvert beats St. Mary's big time.
I would advisse to rent for 6 months and see how things are and then make your decision

party301

i'll think of one.....
i would honestly say that if your husband has a job oppurtunity in Calvert then you would probably be best off living in Calvert if for nothing else then avoiding the traffic that plauges the Thomas Johnson Bridge and Rt4/Rt235 intersections every morning and evening. other than that i think both counties would be great places to live but i would be able to comment on the services for Autism since i have no experience with that. but good luck and i hope everything works out for the best.

sdm

Calvert County Schools are far more advanced than St. Mary's County Schools. Shopping? Yes St. Mary's actually has more stores that you would find centered near a more suburban area.

Housing Preference? Depends on what area you are looking for or what location in Calvert hubby will be working. Some very nice areas throughout Calvert. St. Mary's has some nice areas too. As with anything, there are troublesome areas in both counties.

Traffic? Rt. 235/Rt4 St. Mary's: Best to avoid between 3:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.

Calvert? Same thing. Backups in the Prince Frederick area through rush hour.

Hospitals? Calvert and St. Mary's are pretty much tit for tat. Okay for routine illnesses. Don't worry.. have a more serious medical condition: You have some of the country's finest hospitals within 1 - 2 hour drive, depending on where you set up camp. Washington Hospital Center, George Washington University Hospital, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Mercy Medical Center, etc.

idiganthro

We live in St. Mary's, but I work in Calvert. Like them both. Can't speak to the Calvert schools, but I hear they are good. We had good experiences with Leonardtown HS and I hear good things about the feeder schools. We moved from a busy suburb into a very rural location and have loved it.

Welcome to the area. Hope you find what you are looking for. I have a good friend who is a real estate agent if you need one. Just PM if interested.

RPMDAD

My husband has a job opportunity in Calvert County and we are considering moving to the area. I have a couple of questions. We are thinking of buying a home in either St. Mary's or Calvert County. We do have a 3 year old daughter on the autism spectrum and was wondering if anyone out there has had experience with getting autism support services. Which county provides better services? Which county has better school disricts?
Thanks in advance!

Madison, being from Calvert i can state they have great schools. Here are some links concerning autism support services.

Autism Asperger Association of Calvert County

http://www.pathfindersforautism.org/upload/Calvert-Resource-flier.pdf

slowlane

"As with anything, there are troublesome areas in both counties."

True - specifically, the Great Mills Road area of St. Mary's County,
and the White Sands community of southern Calvert County both. come to mind as places to avoid.ca

Last edited:

Vince

As far as the bridge goes, no big deal. I drive it everyday. Calvert has some great schools and Special Ed teachers. My son went all the way through the school system and today he is very high functioning thanks to those teachers. Yes, he's autistic. Started him in Calvert Country School. Now he's grown and been out of the school system for awhile, and they've built some new schools, but still a good system. Don't let them talk you into mainstreaming unless your child is very high functioning. They tried to do that when my son was 7 or 8 and it was a failure. Got him back into Calvert Country and he was talking, reading, etc. Patuxent High School also has an excellent program and they will keep the Special Ed kids until they are 20 years of age if I remember correctly. Through the Health Dept resource coodinators and the school you'll get a lot of help. PM me if you want more information.