cameras on school buses?

meg1974

My son will be going to school next year and I'm wondering if anyone knows whether or not St. Mary's County school buses are equipped with the cameras that record when drivers pass buses picking up and unloading children...Thanks

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
St Mary's school buses have cameras.

Edit -- I read your post incorrectly. The buses have cameras that video the inside of the bus. I'm not sure about the outside.

glhs837

Power with Control
No, none of St Marys do. And I'm pretty sure there are none in the state. In fact, I'm not sure if that system has been deployed anywhere yet. I know a few places have talked about it. But I dont recall any news of it being put in service.

Keep in mind, its not about making your kids safer, its about making money.

sorry, i was out of date. a fe3w places, Montgomery County included, have fielded them. They then send a letter saying "We saw what you did there". But no fines, since thats not legal yet. but it will be, just watch.

Last edited:

Otter

Nothing to see here
... when drivers pass buses picking up and unloading children...Thanks

I'll go out on a limb and say that stopping for school buses is the most observed traffic law out there. I can't remember that the last time I've seen someone blow through the blinking red lights of a school bus stop.

Last edited:

AeroTaken

My son will be going to school next year and I'm wondering if anyone knows whether or not St. Mary's County school buses are equipped with the cameras that record when drivers pass buses picking up and unloading children...Thanks

Or did someone perhaps pass a school bus today when it had its red stop lights flashing and they are wondering if they got recorded doing it?

OldHillcrestGuy

No, none of St Marys do. And I'm pretty sure there are none in the state. In fact, I'm not sure if that system has been deployed anywhere yet. I know a few places have talked about it. But I dont recall any news of it being put in service.

Keep in mind, its not about making your kids safer, its about making money.

sorry, i was out of date. a fe3w places, Montgomery County included, have fielded them. They then send a letter saying "We saw what you did there". But no fines, since thats not legal yet. but it will be, just watch.

Prince Georges has camera's on some buses not all.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo

Why would it matter?

toppick08

In all honesty, I saw a Maryland State Trooper run by a stopped school bus with blinking lights this past week in Calvert County on Mt. Harmony Road. The trooper must not have been paying attention, because he did stop AFTER he was parallel to the bus and well past the stop sign. I was behind the bus and saw the whole thing.

They are special...You get that tag #...?...not that it matters.

party301

i'll think of one.....
I'll go out on a limb and say that stopping for school buses is the most observed traffic law out there. I can't remember that the last time I've seen someone blow through the blinking red lights of a school bus stop.

ummmm a couple of months ago at this point, a car went around my sons bus when it stopped to pick him up. as in passed on a solid double line with the lights on and the stop sign out. so yes it does happen and i would think it probably happens pretty frequently.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad

Since you'll be standing there every day with your son, just carry your camera with you

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
School buses down here drive pretty safe, it's after they drop off the little rug rats things change! :coffee:

Agree also with an above comment, normally everyone stops for school buses down here unless you're on a divided highway! When I stop I even turn on my emergency flashers since I'm stopped on a roadway, then off once traffic moves...

royhobie

hobieflyer

The answer is no. "Not yet". It will happen though. As in the red light cameras and radar cameras, if Maryland can find another way to empty your pocket, they will. The fine is very steep for this violation, as well it should be. However, in order to be in violation, you have to understand the requirements of the bus driver under COMAR and how Maryland Motor Vehicle law reads for this violation. For example, COMAR states that the school bus stops should be a quarter of a mile a part. St. Mary's County took it upon themselves to adjust this to a closer distance. Not saying this is right, or wrong. It is just what they decided to do. However, because of how COMAR is worded, it may create an interesting defense if someone decided to challange this type of violation. I doubt they would win since most courts will decide against the person without physical proof. Again, there are cameras in the bus, but not outside.

BOP

Couple of years ago, leaving the base. Car blows past, gets stopped, cops find dope, idiots taken to jail.

Instant karma's gonna getcha!

:yahoo:

BOP

School buses down here drive pretty safe, it's after they drop off the little rug rats things change! :coffee:

Agree also with an above comment, normally everyone stops for school buses down here unless you're on a divided highway! When I stop I even turn on my emergency flashers since I'm stopped on a roadway, then off once traffic moves...

You're old...admit it: you drive with your 4-ways on most of the time, don't you?