New light at Old Great Mills Road?

glhs837

Power with Control
So, I read about this new light in the paper, and I wonder to myself, "WTH is this going to do to improve the situation?". Fro those who dont know,heres the deal, please look at the map link first.

Old Great Mills Road, Callaway, MD - Google Maps

So, two lanes from GMR onto Rt 5 north have to squeeze into one lane there where OGMR enters it. Many folks use OGMR as a shortcut, so now its three lanes trying to merge at one point.

So, to alleviate this, they are adding a red light to replace the current stop sign. Of course, folks car still turn right on red, so in no way will this change what happens there. They say they cannot close off that end of the road due to emergency vehicles needing access to the homes and businesses.

Seems to me, either making a right on red illegal there, or closing off that end with a barrier that can be easily driven over would have made much more sense. Like the ones linked below. What say you all?

Safe-Hit

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
So, I read about this new light in the paper, and I wonder to myself, "WTH is this going to do to improve the situation?". Fro those who dont know,heres the deal, please look at the map link first.

So, two lanes from GMR onto Rt 5 north have to squeeze into one lane there where OGMR enters it. Many folks use OGMR as a shortcut, so now its three lanes trying to merge at one point.

So, to alleviate this, they are adding a red light to replace the current stop sign. Of course, folks car still turn right on red, so in no way will this change what happens there. They say they cannot close off that end of the road due to emergency vehicles needing access to the homes and businesses.

Seems to me, either making a right on red illegal there, or closing off that end with a barrier that can be easily driven over would have made much more sense. Like the ones linked below. What say you all?

Safe-Hit

I stop at Sheetz every once in awhile on my way home from work to get gas, and when leaving to get on 5 North, I hold up my sign " I just got gas, I am not one of the other M@#! F##kers taking the shortcut".

I've always thought that allowing that cut-though back onto 5 was a royal mistake in the first place. It does nothing but worsen the merge as noted, and raise blood pressure and frustration levels. I would have closed it off at the Rt 5 side. It would not be any different than Thomson Court on Buck Hewitt road that was blocked off to prevent entry to buck Hewitt. You just have to go around the block a bit.

Buck Hewitt Road, Great Mills, MD - Google Maps

Safe-Hit

I read that article in the Enterprise this morning and wondered the same thing.. I don't see at all how a light there would improve the traffic situation during the evening rush hour... They must know something I don't... (Of course, I know longer travel that route everyday, so it doesn't impact me.. but I did it long enough to feel for those who still do..)

BernieP

Resident PIA
Our roads are designed by idiots

For idiots

:killingme to both, unfortunately the good they try to do is undone by idiot drivers who, well don't understand the concept of say - right lane must turn right. Or how to actually use a "turn lane". They assume a lot of uses not intended by the designer.

But that intersection is all on the SHA. The light at Indian Bridge backs the Rt 5 NB traffic thru the intersection at GM Rd. Can't blame people for trying to get thru what little green light is left.

For years I have heard talk of extending Pegg Rd out to Rt 5 in Callaway. That would take pressure off that intersection. But eventually they are going to have to address it. Cutting off an exit from Sheetz isn't gong to help

CAVEAT: FWIW, the timeframe in which this problem occurs is limited so it may not get funded, it just might not be a priority because it's pretty much limited to the evening rush hour (Monday thru Friday). While an upgrade might be nice for those stuck in traffic everynight, there isn't nearly that much volume the rest of the time.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
I read that article in the Enterprise this morning and wondered the same thing.. I don't see at all how a light there would improve the traffic situation during the evening rush hour... They must know something I don't... (Of course, I know longer travel that route everyday, so it doesn't impact me.. but I did it long enough to feel for those who still do..)

See, I used to be a believer in this too, but after 10 years of working NAVAIR projects have cured of this. I am also no longer a believer in the "There must be someone whose job it is to take care of this stuff." Seems every damn time I dig into a thing, turns out that no, there isnt a thing they know that you dont, in fact, they would have benefited from knowing what you do, and that there is in fact nobody whose job it is, its just being done by someone who really has no clue and is winging it.

glhs837

Power with Control
:. Cutting off an exit from Sheetz isn't gong to help

Lets be honest, Bernie, its not the folks leaving Sheetz who are the problem, its the "Oh, I can cut 5 cars off of my position going north if I cut through on OGMR, since I am, of course much more important than any schmuck who does this intersection the right way." Stop them from coming all the way through from GMR on OGMR, and a ton of the issue goes away.

Of course, thise same selfish fools would then try and cut through Seetz, but one officer sitting in Sheeztz one random day a week handing out tickets for that would stop most of them. Same for the folks who use the right turn only lane on 235 as a pasing lane. Give me one umarked CVPI on that road twice a week from 4-6, only running loops from Gate 1 to Rt 4, whose only assigned task is to pop folks who jump over, then jump back, and that would dry up also.

H2ogirl

Safe-Hit

I really think this is overkill. Additional lights that is. I drive through every evening, I take "the shortcut"(why its called that is beyond me.) I am not committing a crime by cutting through a parking lot to avoid a light. I feel as though I am doing a service by taking away from the bottle necking that happens at the bottom of GM road. I am not in that 500 yd stretch of road for more then 30 seconds to 1 minute at most thus taking myself out of the line up of cars who prefer not to take OGMR or are making the left. This is because most of my fellow drivers allow me to merge right into traffic, takes them all of a second or so, a mere second, to allow another car to merge in front of them not by stopping but by slowing down just a bit and if we all would just let one car merge instead of hitting the gas to avoid the other car from sharing the road then that stretch of road would be a breeze. But just my thoughts.

FED_UP

Safe-Hit

Make perfect sense to me, create more of a mess so they can keep their job to straighten it up again later. Stupid, dumb, asinine and insane, I am sure there are a few other words to describe this light project wtf. Spend money to add a second lane that runs at least up to that food line above the hill to alleviate that bottele neck. I am a genious :howdy: vote for me on the next street planning committee so I can rip your tax dollars off too.

See, I used to be a believer in this too, but after 10 years of working NAVAIR projects have cured of this. I am also no longer a believer in the "There must be someone whose job it is to take care of this stuff." Seems every damn time I dig into a thing, turns out that no, there isnt a thing they know that you dont, in fact, they would have benefited from knowing what you do, and that there is in fact nobody whose job it is, its just being done by someone who really has no clue and is winging it.

I agree with you... I forgot my sarcasm icon...

Normally, I would work later hours to try to avoid the delays there, but often would still have to sit through the light (Great Mills/5 and heading north on Route 5) for 15 or 20 minutes... Sometimes there would be no backup on Great Mills Road... all the traffic coming down Great Mills Road getting through their light and only two or three Route 5 northbound vehicles able to move through each light change. On those occasions, I felt the timing on the light at Indian Bridge wasn't in sync with the light at Great Mills or that the light at Indian Bridge needed to stay green longer for those heading north on 5...

FED_UP

I really think this is overkill. Additional lights that is. I drive through every evening, I take "the shortcut"(why its called that is beyond me.) I am not committing a crime by cutting through a parking lot to avoid a light. I feel as though I am doing a service by taking away from the bottle necking that happens at the bottom of GM road. I am not in that 500 yd stretch of road for more then 30 seconds to 1 minute at most thus taking myself out of the line up of cars who prefer not to take OGMR or are making the left. This is because most of my fellow drivers allow me to merge right into traffic, takes them all of a second or so, a mere second, to allow another car to merge in front of them not by stopping but by slowing down just a bit and if we all would just let one car merge instead of hitting the gas to avoid the other car from sharing the road then that stretch of road would be a breeze. But just my thoughts.

So let every other car coming through that right turn lane and back the traffic up even further down Great Mills, good goin.

fredsaid2

The people who've waited through 2-3 light changes on NB 5 appreciate the fact that you take "the shortcut". :whistle:

Graymatter

Lets be honest, Bernie, its not the folks leaving Sheetz who are the problem, its the "Oh, I can cut 5 cars off of my position going north if I cut through on OGMR, since I am, of course much more important than any schmuck who does this intersection the right way." Stop them from coming all the way through from GMR on OGMR, and a ton of the issue goes away.

Of course, thise same selfish fools would then try and cut through Seetz, but one officer sitting in Sheeztz one random day a week handing out tickets for that would stop most of them. Same for the folks who use the right turn only lane on 235 as a pasing lane. Give me one umarked CVPI on that road twice a week from 4-6, only running loops from Gate 1 to Rt 4, whose only assigned task is to pop folks who jump over, then jump back, and that would dry up also.

I'm not sure if they're breaking the law, but what about the people coming north on Rte. 5, they get into right turn lane and pass ~ 1/2 mile of traffic to turn right on GMR. Then they make left onto to OGMR and voila = ten minutes cut off commute.

glhs837

Power with Control

Justify it as you wish. Its not illegal to wait for the last second to get out of a closing lane. Nor to stop at the end of an entrance ramp. That does not make doing the right thing. And thinking you are helping the problem by doing that is wrong. You folks add a lot to the congestion there. Three lanes merging into one is not as fast as two

H2ogirl

The people who've waited through 2-3 light changes on NB 5 appreciate the fact that you take "the shortcut". :whistle:

That sounds a bit petty. I see no signs posted "residents only" or "for Patrons use" I have seen this before. And I'm just saying people take it to seriously and there is no such thing as being a courteous driver any longer and that road rage is the way to go. Just don't let it raise your BP. The short cut is there and just be thankful you only have to put up with me for just a short time in YOUR way every evening!!

H2ogirl

That sounds a bit petty. I see no signs posted "residents only" or "for Patrons use" I have seen this before. And I'm just saying people take it to seriously and there is no such thing as being a courteous driver any longer and that road rage is the way to go. Just don't let it raise your BP. The short cut is there and just be thankful you only have to put up with me for just a short time in YOUR way every evening!!

Try it you'll like it....

fredsaid2

Perhaps petty is right. Still, I won't be the one putting up with you for even a scant second, maybe the guy behind me will. I wait patiently, you can too.

NTNG

Amen. The short cut folks try and kreep out onto 5, and look surprised when those of us who did not cut through wont let them into traffic...