Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Don't like them because I've had too many issues

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Hate them, never been and never will close them all

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Compa

I'm interested in peoples views on dog parks. I hear lots of positive and negative from different people; vets, trainers, etc.

JoeR

I'm interested in peoples views on dog parks. I hear lots of positive and negative from different people; vets, trainers, etc.

I used to take our two to the Turkey Hill Rd. dog park. Pretty much quit when I had more problems with owners not being more responsible for their dogs. I had a dog start to get real aggressive with one of mine and I pulled them apart and pushed the dog away from mine. The lady got upset with me. So we pretty much don't go anymore. Though I do think they can be a good place to allow your dogs to get some socialization around other dogs. Unfortunatly I think that's one of the problems I'm now having with one of mine. He's fine around our other dog and with people, but tends to get a little agressive when he's around dogs he doesn't know. This pretty much started after we stopped going to the park a few times during the week.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
We like the dog park. :lol: We have a small backyard and a big dog. Taking him for walks isn't the same as letting him run around and play, and he loves the interaction with other dogs and people. I can see how there could be bad experiences, but the days that I've gone the owners seem to be attentive and the dogs are friendly.

JoeR

We like the dog park. :lol: We have a small backyard and a big dog. Taking him for walks isn't the same as letting him run around and play, and he loves the interaction with other dogs and people. I can see how there could be bad experiences, but the days that I've gone the owners seem to be attentive and the dogs are friendly.

Which dog park do you go to?

tipsymcgee

There's good times and bad times, really. Our experiences have been mostly good but there are people who don't watch the rules -- no playing fetch, bringing in unfixed dogs, etc. There are dog breed snobs that think their dog is the only decent breed in the park and everything they do is "cute", there are regulars who want to know too much info, and the majority of others simply want to give their dog exercise. We need one in the mid to north end of St. Mary's.

JoeR

There's good times and bad times, really. Our experiences have been mostly good but there are people who don't watch the rules -- no playing fetch, bringing in unfixed dogs, etc. There are dog breed snobs that think their dog is the only decent breed in the park and everything they do is "cute", there are regulars who want to know too much info, and the majority of others simply want to give their dog exercise. We need one in the mid to north end of St. Mary's.

We've had mostly good experiences. My biggest problem is with people who are more interested in talking on their cell phones and not paying attention to what their dogs are doing. And like I said earlier they get upset when someone has to pull their dog off another one because it's getting over agressive. Another reason I don't take them there is we also have a big yard, and the two of them have plenty of room to run and play. I know exactly what you mean about breed snobs. I got two goldendoodles and sometimes hear it from both the poodle people and the golden folks.

TurboK9

Years ago I volenteered with ROMP (Responsible Owners of Mannerly Pets) in Minneapolis / Saint Paul. They advocated for the creation of Dog Parks and for responsible ownership. A lot of their ideas and such laid the groundwork for the modern dog park movement. :yay: I was all for it.

Battle Creek. 22 acres of trails when it was created, with a swimmin' hole etc. No place to sit. No benches. No shelter. No place to cluster up. The idea was to actually walk with the dog(s). You picked up your poop and were expected to control your beasties.

Then they put in benches. And along came the Latte sippin' socializers. All of a sudden people forgot that dog parks were for people to spend time with their dogs, and they became a place for dogs to spend time with other dogs. Pretty much uncontrolled. While the people sipped lattes and discussed the finer points of their Land Rovers and Lexuseseseses.

I don't go to dog parks when too many people are there. Too chaotic, and 99% can't verbally control their dog. Trouble waiting to happen, dogs packing up, getting territorial, dominance displays, toy aggression.... etc.

However, with a moderate or small 'dog density' ratio it is still a great place to work on practical Obedience under distraction. Put my dog in a down, walk a couple hundred feet away, wait till the strange dogs are tumbling into mine, then recall... It's fun to watch all the human faces go into WTF mode, and hear the "how did you do that" s from som many. Point at van, give card. :lmao:

They used to be great when they were big and had rules that were enforced and people moved around and went to play / train / walk with their dogs. But now, just like kid parks, the owners just cut the dog loose and sit or stand around and typically don't do anything with the dog. Like kid parks, because at kid parks I'm often the only adult actually playing with my kids... They seem to think the dog wants to 'play' with other dogs, when in fact they are missing a great opportunity to bond and build a better 'team' with their dog. Sad, from my perspective, and an accident waiting to happen.

Last edited:

KingMeh

I take mine to the park in Dunkirk. Its good exercise. I prefer when there are fewer dogs, it can get crowded.

Roman

Dog park

I take mine to the one on Gray's Road in Prince Frederick. Meat Ball just LOVES it!