Huge Brush Fires

OldHillcrestGuy

Really hard to believe, unless I just cant find the thread, several really big fires today and not one mention on here. Eagle Harbor, Chalk Point fire took over 8 hours to contain, and fire depts from 4 counties. Smoked out the Calvert side of the Patuxent. Fire in Bryantown started as working barn fire and then got into the woods, took over 4 hours to contain.
Several other fires all over Charles and Prince Georges's, seems that Calvert and St Marys for the most part avoided the really big fires.

daisy

Big one at the end of our road today too. (in Lusby) Trucks from 3 different fire depts. there to put it out! It spread unbelievably fast, my husband and neighbors tried so hard to just contain it or slow the spread until the FD got there...to no avail. Wind was picking up leaves that were on fire and blowing them to other areas where they would then start other small fires....Crazy!

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I guess its the ding-dongs throwing their cigarettes out the window. :cussing:

:yay: Quite possibly could be one reason. When I lived in FL, state law made it illegal to throw cigarette butts out the window - due to the danger of fires.

You wouldn't believe how clean it looks on the ground/medians near traffic signals without cigarette butts strewn about.

OldHillcrestGuy

15 fires in St. Mary's County today.

It also appeared that EMS units were running their butts off with numerous calls, with all kinds injuries and illnesses thoughout SoMd. The scanner was almost constant chatter during the early afternoon hours. My pager that has both St Marys and Charles was continously going, dispatchers telling all units standby for another call. Hasnt been a day like this in a long time. Very fortunate that it was a weekend and not during the week when manpower levels would have been very low.

Lots of people around here burning leaves yesterday. With this kind of wind they never really go out. I did see one woman complete douse her fire with a hose when she was done.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
This was the same kind of wind that caused the Lighthouse Restaurant / Bowens Inn in Solomon’s to burn!!! What year was that ?

When I drove through Barstow yesterday (down near 7-11) there was a lot of smoke all the way to the park, but I didn't see a fire or fire trucks. Where was it coming from?

Also, my parents didn't mention the one on Eagle Harbor.

Skyline Drive was also on fire last night. Really bad.

ginwoman

When I drove through Barstow yesterday (down near 7-11) there was a lot of smoke all the way to the park, but I didn't see a fire or fire trucks. Where was it coming from?

Oh no, I have some friends who were headed to skyline drive this weekend to ride their motorcycle.

tomtom

Really hard to believe, unless I just cant find the thread, several really big fires today and not one mention on here. Eagle Harbor, Chalk Point fire took over 8 hours to contain, and fire depts from 4 counties. Smoked out the Calvert side of the Patuxent. Fire in Bryantown started as working barn fire and then got into the woods, took over 4 hours to contain.
Several other fires all over Charles and Prince Georges's, seems that Calvert and St Marys for the most part avoided the really big fires.

Mechanicsville, Hollywood, Leonardtown, and Seventh District Fire Depts all sent utility and brush vehicles to the fire at Eagle Harbor/Chaulk Point. When I heard the call for Leonardtown fire dept to go, I knew it had to be a HUGE fire for them to be calling for help from this far away.

OldHillcrestGuy

All that smoke came from the Eagle Harbor/Chalk Point fire I drove through there at 1:30pm and it was really smokey, some units are still there this morning.. Later on the big one in Bryantown near Huckleberry Dr, smoked out downtown Hughesville.

RPMDAD

There were several in Calvert yesterday, around Mt Harmony rd. Owings, Lusby, one just south of PF in median, and one right around the Cal. Co., AA Co. line.

atrusomder

Isaiah 55:8-9
I've been seriously disappointed in the lack of Scanner Activity lately.... There use to be reports daily- now we see one a week :(