Private or Public

somdwatch

Ryken

Having had 4 kids go to the public school system and taught/worked at Ryken, I would rather I could have convinced them (kids) they would have been better off at Ryken. There is a sense of community and acceptance that you just don't get in the politically correct atmosphere of public schools.

foodcritic

Home school. It's really private. You can pick what curriculum you use and what is taught to your daughter.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Having had 4 kids go to the public school system and taught/worked at Ryken, I would rather I could have convinced them (kids) they would have been better off at Ryken. There is a sense of community and acceptance that you just don't get in the politically correct atmosphere of public schools.

It's been a while but you are right. Another thing that you notice, as a parent, is how the administration (and teachers) respond. They listen to you because you are the "customer".
In the public schools the customer is the board of education, the school system administration. Parents are not at the top of the list.
True, you get back what you put into it. But at times, with the public schools, you are fighting the system.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Very happy with Leonard Hall JNA. Very close-knit 'community' of parents, teacher and administrators, all working only toward one goal: Educating our kids and instilling a sense of honor and good ethics.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
You may think this odd, as your child is preK, but decide between public or private high school now. I liked private elementary but disliked private middle and we are at public high school. My first two did private elem/mid, public hs and the adjustment was difficult. Third went to public for middle and will have no issues adjusting at all.

School is what your child makes it. A child that wants to learn will do well anywhere. One that has problems may actually do better in public school where there are resources to help them.

My boys did public hs honors classes and are doing better material wise than their friends in private hs (have friends at Ryken, Kings, and Grace).

In the end its a deeply personal decision made on family faith and finances.

terbear1225

You may think this odd, as your child is preK, but decide between public or private high school now. I liked private elementary but disliked private middle and we are at public high school. My first two did private elem/mid, public hs and the adjustment was difficult. Third went to public for middle and will have no issues adjusting at all.

School is what your child makes it. A child that wants to learn will do well anywhere. One that has problems may actually do better in public school where there are resources to help them.

My boys did public hs honors classes and are doing better material wise than their friends in private hs (have friends at Ryken, Kings, and Grace).

i am a product of public schools but work in a private one now. Having seen both sides of the discussion first hand, I agree wholeheartedly with bresamil. School is what you and your child make of it. Public schools being larger can sometimes offer more choices but private school being smaller offers more of a community feel. it all depends on what you are looking for. decide what is more important, having a possibly wider range of classes to choose from or having teachers and staff that know your child personally.

4ps

private school for us!

Our children attended a Christian Preschool where they received a wonderful education at their advanced pace (which was what they needed at the time, and even now).However with the smaller class size, our son could adapt to his peers at his own slower pace. He was shy. Our children thrived and learned how to treat others, respect their teachers and their world, as well as a great understanding of academic subjects with a theme each day or week. Preschool is generally about letters, numbers, following directions, and learning to get along, but a Christian Preschool provides a foundation of Faith. It's gradually introduced and thus they are not just going through the motions when a child is brought to Mass. Children /students are taught on a child's level about the Mass, and thus behave well during Sunday services where they are comfortable with what is happening. the lessons are at their level of understanding. They ask questions and receive answers. GREAT values are taught. Some of the things our children did included collecting food for the hungry, being thankful for their own snack and saying a lunch prayer, having a classroom "job", and making cards for family members. They learned songs to teach the values and read books.

Our children currently attend a Catholic Private school, which we LOVE. The small class size is great for getting extra attention, however it's also great for TEACHING the individual just as much as the class. A Teacher can take notice of the child as a person, teach faith oriented values, and give a child a "gift" which lasts a lifetime no matter where they go next. Our school is K-8th grade and so we know they will be well taken care of in middle school and be challenged accordingly. Lastly, just the idea that they CAN talk about Christmas, say the Pledge, and Pray for the sick, is comforting. It's not a strong PUSH for faith, rather it's faith directed education. Not all of our students are Catholic. They all fit in and share belief of God. First Communion is individual, not as a class. Parents support each other and the school. In rough times, you have each other. You pray for sick family members. It's community.

Parents can tell you why they chose our school and yes, it is a personal choice that takes time like any other important decision...visit schools and ask lots of questions. Don't judge a book by it's cover either. Bells and whistles do not make a school. We learned that twice.

Visit Our Lady Star of the Sea School sometime, and see what we are all about.

Best to you..

4ps

I am a product of public school, however chose two smaller colleges for grad and under grad. I liked the smaller class size myself. My husband attended a very large university. We want the best for our children and are advocating to help our school become even stronger. Many people just don't understand private school until they ask questions and experience it for themselves.there are lots of stereotypes out there. We know a few who "switched" and the transition was simple. I also don't want to teach our children that if something is giving them difficulty that the best thing is to avoid it.We embrace a challenge and they are challenged academically. They are great students and well rounded. My concern is people might jump around to different schools and not try to make the one they attend the best for their child.We are in a society where choices are abundant now. Teachers at our school listen and we are customers. They have our child's best interest at heart, and from personal experience on both sides of the fence (I used to teach) it's a tough job. All teachers public or private deserve respect and appreciation IF they are doing their best. Sometimes, it's not the teacher, it might be the student reacting to a personality type. We all need to adjust...

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I would expect that transitions are different in every case, but in mine, my son's transition from public to private school was even better than 'easy' for him; he was immensely relieved and happy to get out of the middle school's officially sanctioned 'junior gangster training program'.

I actually felt bad for not offering him the option much sooner than I did. I overestimated how much he wanted to stay with his friends and underestimated how badly he wanted out of the environment overall.

4ps

Middle school age is a rough time. For some children, there is a lot of uncertainty.Our public school went to 6th grade. I still feel that 6th graders belong in elementary school. For us, it's a small enough school where grade k-5 is downstairs, and 6-8 are upstairs. The 8th graders are "buddies" to the Kindergarten class. It's sweet.

I'm glad it worked out for the best for your son.. Friends do matter, but the influence they have on your child is priceless.

I just know that personally, if my children can learn both at home and at school to have RESPECT, strong VALUES, and to grow their Faith without being told they can't talk about "anything" religion related or use the word God", I'm happy :)

There will never ever be a perfect teacher and we never paint the picture for them that there should be. We LOVE our school, and teach our children to assert themselves as needed, yet welcome all challenges. Stick with things that are a "healthy" challenge, yet if it's not healthy, and it's harming your character development, re- evaluate. They should always feel like they can turn to adults for help, and teachers and parents are on their TEAM.