Another question for a LEO

limblips

PREMO Member
Again, not complaining just curious. Why do I see so many vehicles with covered license plates, broken windshields, plates in the rear window, crap hanging off the rearview mirror, excessive tint, and general hooptymobiles that obviously are not road worthy cruising around? Is it because the judges throw the offense out if they show they got it fixed? Is the offense not worth a LEO's time? Many of these vehicles are a safety hazard. TIA

Clem_Shady

Again, not complaining just curious. Why do I see so many vehicles with covered license plates, broken windshields, plates in the rear window, crap hanging off the rearview mirror, excessive tint, and general hooptymobiles that obviously are not road worthy cruising around? Is it because the judges throw the offense out if they show they got it fixed? Is the offense not worth a LEO's time? Many of these vehicles are a safety hazard. TIA

Don't fix it.

Fritz it!

:popcorn:

BernieP

Resident PIA

Trust me, the MSP will stop vehciles that appear to be in violation, but mostly so they can ask to "search" said vehicle for a more serious offense. You are correct, most of the violations you cited are things the owner / operator is given the opportunity to correct (i.e. they recieve a warning).
So unless the offcier wants an excuse to stop a vehicle, is it really worth their time to make those offenses a primary reason to pull the vehicle over?

foodcritic

Things on the RV are not always a violation. It would need to obstruct your view. Handicap placards are always a violation BTW.

IF super trooper were to enforce EVERY violation in the Maryland Transportation Code they would never get a mile from the station before the end of the shift. :killingme

Just because an issue bothers you does not mean it bothers everyone else EVEN if it's a violation. Have you taken a look at state criminal code, federal criminal code.....or event the "rules/regulations" agencies? Who in the world has time to enforce EVERYTHING? You have to pick and choose.

dan0623_2000

Response

Things on the RV are not always a violation. It would need to obstruct your view. Handicap placards are always a violation BTW.

IF super trooper were to enforce EVERY violation in the Maryland Transportation Code they would never get a mile from the station before the end of the shift. :killingme

Just because an issue bothers you does not mean it bothers everyone else EVEN if it's a violation. Have you taken a look at state criminal code, federal criminal code.....or event the "rules/regulations" agencies? Who in the world has time to enforce EVERYTHING? You have to pick and choose.

That is the best response to a sensible question as I have ever heard.

slowlane

Dark-tinted license plate covers are statutorily illegal everywhere except in dealer showrooms -- and yet they are commonly seen. I have even seen a few on cars belong to policemen. The old-style yellow tinted ones were very brittle, and I would occasionally break them off when I would see them parked, when I was sure the owner wasn't around. The more common, gray and bluish covers, however, are made of sturdier plastic. Not only that, some dealer frames also cover up the name of the State on the edge of the tag, so it's illegible.

Remember the "track lights" fad of the 1990s ? (Rows of little lights all around the sides of vehicles). They were illegal too, as they were distracting.

There is also a kind of spray you can order by mail, that you can spray on, which makes your tags so bright and shiny that they can't be read by red-light cameras.

Last edited:

limblips

PREMO Member

Reread my post, no where does it say anything about bothering me. But since you brought it up, the obvious safety violations do bother me since they can impact innocent people.

Last edited:

foodcritic

Reread my post, no where does it say anything about bothering me. But since you brought it up, the obvious safety violations do bother me since they can impact innocent people.

The fact that you posted it indicates it bothers you. You just stated it bothers you.....sorry I jumped to conclusion.

Those violations don't seem to me to be impacting any innocent people. Missing the correlation....

thurley42

HY;FR
Dark-tinted license plate covers are statutorily illegal everywhere except in dealer showrooms -- and yet they are commonly seen. I have even seen a few on cars belong to policemen. The old-style yellow tinted ones were very brittle, and I would occasionally break them off when I would see them parked, when I was sure the owner wasn't around. The more common, gray and bluish covers, however, are made of sturdier plastic. Not only that, some dealer frames also cover up the name of the State on the edge of the tag, so it's illegible.

Remember the "track lights" fad of the 1990s ? (Rows of little lights all around the sides of vehicles). They were illegal too, as they were distracting.

There is also a kind of spray you can order by mail, that you can spray on, which makes your tags so bright and shiny that they can't be read by red-light cameras.

So you are a vandal is what you are saying?

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
You know what bothers me? People that see a cop and slam on their brakes. Even if the cop is in the opposite lane of traffic and has someone already pulled over, some people do this. These people need to be beat senseless.

limblips

PREMO Member
The fact that you posted it indicates it bothers you. You just stated it bothers you.....sorry I jumped to conclusion.

Those violations don't seem to me to be impacting any innocent people. Missing the correlation....

Please read and try to comprehend. I did not say the violations WERE impacting people, I said they CAN impact innocent people. For example, bald tires in the rain can (and have) cause vehicles to hydroplane in rain and veer into the oncoming lane resulting in bad collisions. Do you need more examples or are you beginning to grasp the concept that the laws were enacted for reasons! My original question was asking why some obvious violations are essentially ignored. I got my answer (it is a matter of priority and severity). Now, to really pi$$ you and many other Maryland drivers off, if the LEO's cannot take the time to stop every violation (I do understand that.) then the state needs to enact annual vehicle safety inspections to help with road safety. The idea that all people are going to keep their vehicle road safe for as long as they own it, is ridiculous. Just cruise the Wally World parking lot!

PrepH4U

Please read and try to comprehend. I did not say the violations WERE impacting people, I said they CAN impact innocent people. For example, bald tires in the rain can (and have) cause vehicles to hydroplane in rain and veer into the oncoming lane resulting in bad collisions. Do you need more examples or are you beginning to grasp the concept that the laws were enacted for reasons! My original question was asking why some obvious violations are essentially ignored. I got my answer (it is a matter of priority and severity). Now, to really pi$$ you and many other Maryland drivers off, if the LEO's cannot take the time to stop every violation (I do understand that.) then the state needs to enact annual vehicle safety inspections to help with road safety. The idea that all people are going to keep their vehicle road safe for as long as they own it, is ridiculous. Just cruise the Wally World parking lot!
:rolleyes:
Oh yeah good idea, don't forget to charge the people for that inspection also!
I say block off 235 during lunch hour rush and conduct the inspection then. :sarcasm:

foodcritic

Thanks! I do read and comprehend BTW...usually. Def in your case. Your OP said nothing about "bald tires". Quite honestly I have no idea what your talking about now. Do you have a bald tire study you cant cite to help us with some statistics about what you perceive as danger at every turn.

The dangers of distracted/drunk driving far out weigh the dangers of "bald tires" IMO.

limblips

PREMO Member
Thanks! I do read and comprehend BTW...usually. Def in your case. Your OP said nothing about "bald tires". Quite honestly I have no idea what you're talking about now. Do you have a bald tire study you cant cite to help us with some statistics about what you perceive as danger at every turn.

The dangers of distracted/drunk driving far out weigh the dangers of "bald tires" IMO.

Bald Tires | Tire Law

Google bald tires and rain. Lots of hits!

BernieP

Resident PIA
You know what bothers me? People that see a cop and slam on their brakes. Even if the cop is in the opposite lane of traffic and has someone already pulled over, some people do this. These people need to be beat senseless.

:killingme

I'll go you one better, say the speed limit is 35 and a cop is doing 25, people will slow down so as not to pass, the slower he goes, they will pace him.

I saw this in action the other night on Cedar Point Rd. I swear the officer was just seeing how dumb these clowns were. He wa sin the right lane, them in the left and they would not pass.

BernieP

Resident PIA
:yay:
If they passed him it might have been construed as suspicious activity by the officer which could lead to a stop, and a request by said officer for permission to perform a search of their body, and vehicle. or on the other hand he(the officer) may have just laughed inwardly as they meekly passed by wondering what action he might take for them observing the posted speed limit.:killingme

right, if only he were going as fast as the posted limit. Like I said, he was under the limit and seemed to be slowing down.