Craft fair info ?

Rane

Lookin for Margaritaville
Hi everyone ! Happy Hump Day !! :howdy:

I was just wondering if anyone could give me some info and/or advice on craft fairs and if we would need a license in the MD/VA/DC area to sell our crafts at them ? I did a search and couldn't find anything specific ??? Thanks in advance for any info ;-) Hope everyone has a great day !

Rane

Rane

Do you mean a business license?

I've done a craft fair in MD and did not need one.

Yes, I am wondering if a business license is required if we want to sell our crafts at numerous craft fairs on a regular basis ?

Rane

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Yes, I am wondering if a business license is required if we want to sell our crafts at numerous craft fairs on a regular basis ?

Rane

You may want to eventually, just because it would make sense to claim any loss or expenses for tax purposes. It also would make it easier to take credit cards etc. However, to my knowledge, the state of Maryland does not require you to have one to be a participant in craft fairs...at this time, at least.

libby

You may want to eventually, just because it would make sense to claim any loss or expenses for tax purposes. It also would make it easier to take credit cards etc. However, to my knowledge, the state of Maryland does not require you to have one to be a participant in craft fairs...at this time, at least.

Are food products, i.e. chocolates/candies, okay at craft fairs?

Rane

Credit cards at craft fairs ?

How do we go about accepting and processing credit cards at a craft fair ?

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Are food products, i.e. chocolates/candies, okay at craft fairs?

I think it depends. I've seen them at fairs before, but I've also seen fairs where the fair venue itself provided the food goods. You might have to check with that particular venue.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I heard that the monthly costs associated with accepting credit cards was so high that it deters small business folks. I think I recall someone saying it was minimally $300 + month (the + being a % of the sale).

You need to set up an account with a merchant account company as a business, which goes back to you getting a business license. Nowadays you can swipe a card from your cell phone or through a wireless handheld processing unit.

Accepting Debit and Credit Cards | Business.gov
Credit Card Processing – Merchant Account

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I heard that the monthly costs associated with accepting credit cards was so high that it deters small business folks. I think I recall someone saying it was minimally $300 + month (the + being a % of the sale).

Depends on what you are selling and how much you are selling, and what type of account you set up and with which merchant acount, as to whether or not it's worth it to you. :shrug: It's an option.

For a wireless account or cell phone account with Merchant Express it averages $10 a month, with a transaction fee. Of course, there is an out of pocket expense for chosing to purchase equipment such as the handheld unit. I'm not a salesperson. So there may be other things to consider as well for each individual business.
Wireless Merchant Account Rates
Cellphone account rates
Phone processing is currently only available with iphones, but they are supposed to be getting the droid app and then the out of pocket/set-up fee is only $25.

Last edited:

red_explorer

Pm

PM Spinner. She is looking into the whole credit card thing. She is at tons of Craft Fairs and at the Makers Mart at Annmarie Gardens, as well as Arts Fest.