Route 5-301 gauntlet to DC

Has anyone else noticed the massive increase in traffic going north on 301 to 5-301 split and continuing north on 5. I get onto 5-301 at Cedarville Road and it is backed up as far south as I can see. It used to take me about 15 minutes to get past the TB intersection, now 45 minutes seems the norm. Only thing that I can see which causes problem is the light going north on 5 at TB intersection. The light used to be about 3 1/2 minutes which would allow quite a few cars to get thru. The light now is less than a minute and it is stopped by second light which is permitting left turning traffic both directions. By the time it turns green very few cars make it thru and that of course backs things onto 301 northbound. I don't know who to call to complain as I think it is a county controlled light. My normal time going thru there is 6:30-7:00.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Is it possible to not notice the massive increase in traffic there? :shrug:

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
A lot more lights and traffic since they opened the P.G. Brandywine "Let's get some of that Chuck Co money" shopping center went in. The "increasing capacity" work at 5-6-7-8 corners is a PITA too.

Iv4girlz

Don't Know If Anybody Remembers Or Not, But There Use To Be Stop Lights All The Way To Allentown Rd. Before They Put The Overpasses In. Maybe That Is What They Need In Theses Congested Areas. Just A Thought

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Don't Know If Anybody Remembers Or Not, But There Use To Be Stop Lights All The Way To Allentown Rd. Before They Put The Overpasses In. Maybe That Is What They Need In Theses Congested Areas. Just A Thought
I remember. :howdy:

All they need to do is widen rte. 5 to 3 lanes after the lights at TB in Brandywine all the way to Clinton. That's the bottle neck.

I remember. :howdy:

All they need to do is widen rte. 5 to 3 lanes after the lights at TB in Brandywine all the way to Clinton. That's the bottle neck.

Nope. Overpass the lights at TB and THEN make it 3 lanes all the way to Clinton.

Or, even better,
3 lanes from the split, then an overpass at TB and continue the 3 lanes all the way to clinton.

And even betterer,
get rid of the northern most light at the "Let's get some of that Chuck Co money shopping center", close the cross over there, make a frontage road on the west side of 301 connecting the development to the commercial shopping area (liquor store/auto zone/ etc.) and add an overpass there.

And even bettererer,
Turn the hill at Cedarville Rd. into an overpass, lower the grade of Cedarville Rd. into a tunnel under Rt. 5 and do all of the above.

Know where I can get one of those smart keyboards that capitalize every word for you?

jrt_ms1995

Take a look at this site. It gives you an idea of what they are planning for the future.

I'm sure whatever the state of Maryland decides on will have the effect of just making everything worse. Probably end up with fourteen six-lane roundabouts, fed by and exiting onto 2-lanes.

slowlane

Something else that's always been crazy, is how 301 southbound, narrows to just ONE LANE for a short while, where it swoops down to merge into Route 5 in Brandywine. (Like if you're coming from Upper Marlboro toward Waldorf).

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Too bad I'm fixed ... or I'd be wanting to have your baby LOL (private joke).... :whistle:

You should prop up a package of Jell-O in your window so he would know it's you. That would also be a signal for "Come on over sometime. :wink:"

OldHillcrestGuy

Has anyone else noticed the massive increase in traffic going north on 301 to 5-301 split and continuing north on 5. I get onto 5-301 at Cedarville Road and it is backed up as far south as I can see. It used to take me about 15 minutes to get past the TB intersection, now 45 minutes seems the norm. Only thing that I can see which causes problem is the light going north on 5 at TB intersection. The light used to be about 3 1/2 minutes which would allow quite a few cars to get thru. The light now is less than a minute and it is stopped by second light which is permitting left turning traffic both directions. By the time it turns green very few cars make it thru and that of course backs things onto 301 northbound. I don't know who to call to complain as I think it is a county controlled light. My normal time going thru there is 6:30-7:00.

Has this been just the past 2 days thats its been backed up so bad. Today I came through there at about 730am, I was backed up to Pinefield on 205. It took me 20 minutes to get to the Safeway gas station this morning. I was behind a 18 wheeler that was full of lumber from before Cedarville Rd. till I turned off at the Costco entrance to the shopping center and cut through to the gas station, several other cars did that too, but they went back out onto 301. I went in paid for my gas came back out and pumped $30 into the tank and pulled back out on 301 right behind the same 18 wheeler, he only had made it one stoplight. I went to Safeway for gas this morning cause it was like $3.29 the day before, today it was $3.36 with Safeway card, hell I could have gotten gas at WaWa Charlotte Hall when I got my coffee (which is also going up on Monday 6 cents), I only saved 24 cents by going to Safeway but it took me 55 minutes and a traffic jam, to get to Upper Marlboro, normal trip about 35 minutes.

The merge from over Rt. 5 to southbound 301 use to be 2 lanes years ago back when traffic wasnt so bad, now it would be a disaster having 2 lanes merging into all that traffic.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
The Brandywine stretch from Cedarville to the split of 5/301 (after Short Cut Road) has been a backed up area anytime after 5am ... been there, done that. I agree that as time wears on in the morning, that area gets MORE congested.

What ticks me off is the people who stay far right to get ahead of traffic then merge left at the last minute and block others from continuing on 301 N - yeah those of you merging left at the last minute hear the horns BLOW don't ya? Ouch!

Has this been just the past 2 days thats its been backed up so bad. Today I came through there at about 730am, I was backed up to Pinefield on 205. It took me 20 minutes to get to the Safeway gas station this morning. I was behind a 18 wheeler that was full of lumber from before Cedarville Rd. till I turned off at the Costco entrance to the shopping center and cut through to the gas station, several other cars did that too, but they went back out onto 301. I went in paid for my gas came back out and pumped $30 into the tank and pulled back out on 301 right behind the same 18 wheeler, he only had made it one stoplight. I went to Safeway for gas this morning cause it was like $3.29 the day before, today it was $3.36 with Safeway card, hell I could have gotten gas at WaWa Charlotte Hall when I got my coffee (which is also going up on Monday 6 cents), I only saved 24 cents by going to Safeway but it took me 55 minutes and a traffic jam, to get to Upper Marlboro, normal trip about 35 minutes.

The merge from over Rt. 5 to southbound 301 use to be 2 lanes years ago back when traffic wasnt so bad, now it would be a disaster having 2 lanes merging into all that traffic.