Beware of Carolina Barn Painters!

oldbuffalo

A note of caution to anyone who has a barn, shed or other building with a metal or tin roof. Each spring a group of guys in shiny new trucks comes up from South Carolina. They drive onto people's property and blow their horns until someone comes out. They start dropping names of old SoMd families for whom they've worked. They are lying. Their workmanship is sloppy and their paint is cheap. I saw what they did to an old farmer friend and it is a disgrace. They took advantage of him. This group of con artist gypsies has just arrived in SoMd again this year. Tell your friends with barns not to fall for their BS. The police told me they want to talk to these guys. Get tag numbers if you can. (They only have a rear tag.) If you need work done, let's hire someone who lives in SoMd and who needs the money.

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
Had a guy come up my driveway today and blow his horn....He wanted to seal my driveway....Didn't want to take no for an answer...He was dropping all these names of people he had done in the area....I have a guy that is going to do it for me that I know and trust...He won't touch it until it gets up to 70 degrees and will stay there for a couple days...

sm8

When the people like that show up at my house I just let my dog out in the yard and go inside. I figure if they are willing to brave past a 200 lb dog to come talk to me they might be worth talking to :)

glhs837

Power with Control
Did some reading, and the whitewash is on, so to speak:) Saw one article that mentions its not PC to call them gypsies or Travelers. And repeated mentions that only say %10 of them are crooked. Yeah, right.

shilo

They came to our farm last year. They did the name dropping thing but what tipped us off was that we knew those people had not had any recent work done as these folks were saying. They were not cheap either.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I can't believe that the barn painting scam still lives....when I was a kid growing up on a farm almost 50 years ago, those scam artists would come around every couple of years to get chased off. The ole 'seal yr blacktop' scammers have been around probably just as long.

Goes to show that old saying is still quite true: There is a sucker born every minute.

puggymom

I can't believe that the barn painting scam still lives....when I was a kid growing up on a farm almost 50 years ago, those scam artists would come around every couple of years to get chased off. The ole 'seal yr blacktop' scammers have been around probably just as long.

Goes to show that old saying is still quite true: There is a sucker born every minute.

Yep...just like me :stupid:

Have the driveway resealed last spring from one of these, paid way too much, and now I have a HUGE pot hole at the end of my driveway anyway.
Hubby would have known better but he was not home. Of course now I know better than to buy anything from anyone who knocks on my door.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Yep...just like me :stupid:

Have the driveway resealed last spring from one of these, paid way too much, and now I have a HUGE pot hole at the end of my driveway anyway.
Hubby would have known better but he was not home. Of course now I know better than to buy anything from anyone who knocks on my door.

Sorry about that. Yeah...barn siding paint..barn roof coating..or asphalt sealer..all three used by the roaming applicator scammers are basically water-thin 'dyes' that makes their application job go really fast and look half decent for just long enough to 'get away' from the area they are working at the time.

Having painted plenty of barn sides and coated more than my share of barn tin roofs with the 'real stuff', I can tell ya it's a big slow miserable job to do properly.

I've never coated a driveway with anything but used motor oil though..since we never had one that was paved.

woogie

I sent them to Annoying Boys' house! Told them he needed
a complete paint job, new roof and flooring! They will be
there shortly! Bwaaa Haaa Haaa! :yahoo: :dye:

We should send ALL of these types over to him! He will be SO
grateful! LOL! :evil:

Last edited:

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
I sent them to Annoying Boys' house! Told them he needed a complete paint job, new roof and flooring!
He definitely fits the "sucker born every minute" line. He's enough of a sucker to fill a whole day. Only thing you left out was the new appliances he wants; I'm sure the hired help could find something suitable for Clementine at the dump. :lol: