$22T...you can't make this up

Chris0nllyn

So, your implication is that all representatives and senators are not to blame, because - even the ones who say the debt is a problem (and they'll fix it by doing X and Y programs, whether that's tax increases or spending decreases) - are known liars because they pass laws that increase or maintain the debt; but, Trump is more to blame because he said the debt is a problem (he'll fix it by doing X and Y programs), and he's signing budgets far different from what he submitted that increase or maintain the debt.

That is your implication. Is that your intended implication?

Did you glance over "They both certainly share blame"?

LtownTaxpayer

He's not being blamed exclusively. But since you ask, it's easy for the president to be credited or blamed for a situation because, well, he's the "captain" of the ship. I've grown to hate the Dem leadership over their failures through this whole ordeal; however, Trump has been all over the place on this whole stupid thing. It's been kinda hard for the Congress to put a deal together when the goal posts keep moving.

If anyone moves goalposts, it is congress. They are the ones who are in DC for 20, 30, or 40 years. During this administration they oppose something that they voted for in the last administration.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...
Then why else has production gone up but persons emplolyed in manufacturing has gone down? Magic?

Beef and homes are still markets. What do you expect?

Homelessness was a rarity? Where were you living? And what time frame? You're just tossing accusations out without any sort of basis for them. It should be noted that Reagan signed the Homeless Assistance act in the late 80's.

Our manufacturing is not being decimated as previously pointed out. Manufacturing output has increased almost 5-fold (adjusting for inflation) over the last 70 years. Where are you coming up with this stuff?

Yes, we are a service based economy. Out of the three (extractive, good producing, and service), we certainly are a service economy and that's easily found if you look somewhere beyond "AOC's Economics 101" book. I'm sorry that you feel it's ignorant, but based on your previous replies on this subject, it's not surprising. Advances in manufacturing have allowed greater productivity and efficiency with less workers. This means lower prices for consumers. Why is that a bad thing?

Also, know that service sector employment includes retail, financial services, digital services, real estate, hospitality, education, health, social work, computer services, recreation, media, communications, and electricity, gas and water supply, etc. and you don't think any of that is exportable? You're smoking crack. It's also a simple fact that the three types of economies are not independent of each other and there are services that rely on manufacturing. There wouldn't be mechnics if no ione built cars, right? On the flip side, there wouldn't be stadium construction jobs if there wasn't football, baseball, etc.

Wages have continaully, and evenly, increased over time so I'm not sure where you get the idea that Americans aren't or won't get paid. The idea they won't get paid enough because we don't manufacture is ridiculous. The entire reason we import more than we export (i.e. trade deficit) is solely because we have more expendable money. To put it simply, we have extra money, they have extra goods we choose to pay for. Everyone wins.

Let's assume what you say is true and Americans don't make enough money because we don't manufacture (ignoring the fact that manufacturing is a tiny portion of overall employment sectors), you're advocating moving manufacturing back here which means increased cost of manufacturing, thus increased cost of goods. Now, you're broke Americans are even more broke because they are buying the most expensive American made goods because some yahoo assumes that building things here equals global might.

You know why 80% of those tools say China? Because Americans want to spend less on tools so they buy the cheaper ones from China. Is this really that difficult for you? Fact is, we have a trade deficit, but that's not a bad thing. We give extra money for goods. It's akin to you being pissed off at the local Giant or Safeway because you bought more from they than they buy form you.

Your inability to grasp the decline of this Nation is profoundly vexatious. Just since 2001, over 78,000 manufacturing plants, have been shuttered, (aka decimation), across America costing over 7 million people their livelihood. If robotics and automation are so prevalent, why is it that China hasn't replaced their over 120 million manufacturing plant workers with them? Of course the media heads will deflect the loss of our manufacturing due to automation, or other misleading reasons. In addition, many, that are put on financial shows to tout that claim, have misread the statical data, or just plain lie.

Now why would countries import service jobs that their own citizens can do themselves? Do you even think? All these service jobs here, "retail, financial services, digital services, real estate, hospitality, education, health, social work, computer services, recreation, media, communications, and electricity, gas and water supply, etc." Anyone can do them. When there are more people that can do, (especially when there are no more skilled manufacturing jobs), relative to positions available, kinda makes that work cheaper, don't it? Companies can pay less because of the over supply, right?

Wages have not increased relative to monetary inflation. While the numbers have gone up, they have not kept up with the dollar's loss of purchasing power. That is why people can not get ahead, and in fact are losing ground. As an example, it took 27 years for the median wage to go from $20,172 in 1990 to $48,251 in 2017. While new home prices went from $118,000 to $335,0000. A three fold increase compared to two for wages. Nearly half of US workers, 48%, earn less than $31,561 annually.

"To put it simply, we have extra money, they have extra goods..." No we don't. No they don't. The majority of money spent is borrowed to purchase these things. Credit cards, etc.. No business is just going to make, "extra goods" in hopes of them selling. Are you insane?

Overall, you are seriously and demonstrably ignorant. Or, just plain stupid.

Chris0nllyn

If I may ...

Your inability to grasp the decline of this Nation is profoundly vexatious. Just since 2001, over 78,000 manufacturing plants, have been shuttered, (aka decimation), across America costing over 7 million people their livelihood. If robotics and automation are so prevalent, why is it that China hasn't replaced their over 120 million manufacturing plant workers with them? Of course the media heads will deflect the loss of our manufacturing due to automation, or other misleading reasons. In addition, many, that are put on financial shows to tout that claim, have misread the statical data, or just plain lie.

China is actively dumping money into upgrading manufacturing plants, including robots to offset human labor and has since 2014.
In 2014 Chinese President Xi Jinping called for a "robot revolution" in manufacturing. It's now under way and boosting productivity, but there are adverse consequences.
One example is massive iPhone producer Foxconn, officially known as Hon Hai Precision Industry. Between 2012 and 2016, Foxconn's operating revenues increased slightly, but its headcount declined by almost one-third. More than 400,000 jobs were eliminated as tens of thousands of "Foxbots," factory robots, were deployed. Foxconn is targeting 30 percent automation by 2020.
Chinese companies not only adopt robots, they also manufacture them. A national campaign, Made in China 2025, encourages automated processes and intelligent manufacturing. Last summer Premier Li Keqiang called on domestic companies to make more robots. With local and national government funding and policy support, approximately 3,000 robot makers or solutions providers launched between 2014 and 2016.

Now why would countries import service jobs that their own citizens can do themselves? Do you even think? All these service jobs here, "retail, financial services, digital services, real estate, hospitality, education, health, social work, computer services, recreation, media, communications, and electricity, gas and water supply, etc." Anyone can do them. When there are more people that can do, (especially when there are no more skilled manufacturing jobs), relative to positions available, kinda makes that work cheaper, don't it? Companies can pay less because of the over supply, right?

Services are the United States' largest export and service industries account for about 70% of all American jobs (and 80% of all private-sector jobs). Had you been bothered to do a sliver of searching, you'd see that the largest service exports are travel and transportation, finance and insurance, and intellecutal property sales (software, movies, TV, etc.). In some cases, the services exported directly relate to the goods we export also. We're pretty good at building planes, so it makes sense we're pretty good at transportation services.

If other peopel can do them, they must be really bad at it.

Wages have not increased relative to monetary inflation. While the numbers have gone up, they have not kept up with the dollar's loss of purchasing power. That is why people can not get ahead, and in fact are losing ground. As an example, it took 27 years for the median wage to go from $20,172 in 1990 to $48,251 in 2017. While new home prices went from $118,000 to $335,0000. A three fold increase compared to two for wages. Nearly half of US workers, 48%, earn less than $31,561 annually.

In the 1960's a fridge cost about $3,700. Today, that's about $1,000. Almost a 73% decrease in cost.
A 23" TV in the 60's cost about $2,500 in today's dollars. A 24" smart TV can be had for about $150. 94% decrease in cost.
A 5000BTU AC unit cost $800 in today's dollars. You can find one for about $130. Almost 84% drop.
A microwave would be $3,800 in today's dollars. You can find one for $75. 98% drop.
The TI-2500 calculator would be about $900 in today's dollars. Ignoring the major functionality differences, you can get a TI-30X from Wal-Mart for less than $10.

Home prices are increasing more than wages because, even after losing 1/3 of their value fduring the recession, the labor market is raging, fueling economic activity and home buying, leading to a shortage. That's basic market economics.

One thing not pointed out, is the mortgage interest rates. 30 year fixed mortgage rates were around 15% in the 80's. So, the home price may have been seemingly affordable, the interest rates were not. They're around 4% right now.

Acording to the Census, the median home price in 1990 was $122,900 (or $236,690.17 in today's dollars) with about a 10% mortgage interest rate. Assuming a $236,000 loan with a 10% fixed rate for 30 years, that's $745,585.

Again, according to the Census, the median home price in 2017 was $323,100 ($331,789.11 in today's dollars) with a 4% interest rate. Assuming a $323,000 loan and the same math as above, the total price of the home purchase is $555,139.

"To put it simply, we have extra money, they have extra goods..." No we don't. No they don't. The majority of money spent is borrowed to purchase these things. Credit cards, etc.. No business is just going to make, "extra goods" in hopes of them selling. Are you insane?

What on earth do you think a trade deficit is? If they use borrowed money, so what? It keeps someone in a service sector in a job. And I didn;t say that a business is making "extra goods". I'm saying that businesses make things that people will buy. And we want to buy things from China. Cheap.

Overall, you are seriously and demonstrably ignorant. Or, just plain stupid.

But hey, what do I know. I'm just stupid and ignorant.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...
But hey, what do I know. I'm just stupid and ignorant.
Its good to see you've made it to the fifth stage -- Acceptance. Self-awareness can give you a sense of who you are and a vision of the person you want to become, and a plan for professional or personal development. Good for you.

We do not manufacture the hard goods that we Americans use everyday anymore. This is the major problem. The manufacturing you refer to, and automation, is attributed to farming,(food and feed), chemicals, beverages, oil, natural gas, etc..

Btw, a TV of the 60's cannot be compared to a TV of today. Cathode ray tubes and vacuum tubes vs LCD's, transistors and integrated chips.

It's obvious you are still in the Matrix and cannot see what is right in front of you. Most people understand that a Nation that is losing, and lost, its manufacturing, is a Nation in decline. You on the other hand see at as healthy while being spoon fed bogus economic data and contrived opinion.

Last edited:

Chris0nllyn

If I may ...

Its good to see you've made it to the fifth stage -- Acceptance. Self-awareness can give you a sense of who you are and a vision of the person you want to become, and a plan for professional or personal development. Good for you.

We do not manufacture the hard goods that we Americans use everyday anymore. This is the major problem. The manufacturing you refer to, and automation, is attributed to farming,(food and feed), chemicals, beverages, oil, natural gas, etc..

Btw, a TV of the 60's cannot be compared to a TV of today. Cathode ray tubes and vacuum tubes vs LCD's, transistors and integrated chips.

It's obvious you are still in the Matrix and cannot see what is right in front of you. Most people understand that a Nation that is losing, and lost, its manufacturing, is a Nation in decline. You on the other hand see at as healthy while being spoon fed bogus economic data and contrived opinion.

We don't have to manufacture hard goods anymore.
Why is that hard to comprehend? People are paying much much less for their goods and Americans aren't building it. Why do you want Americans to pay more for things? Because you fail to recognize the basic economic principals of this nation as it stands today?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...
We don't have to manufacture hard goods anymore. Why is that hard to comprehend? People are paying much much less for their goods and Americans aren't building it. Why do you want Americans to pay more for things? Because you fail to recognize the basic economic principals of this nation as it stands today?
This is where you show your true ignorance and your complete inability to comprehend. Instead of looking at value, all you see is price.

Trade used to mean acquiring something that you did not have or produce yourself. Today, trade's new meaning, is who can make it the cheapest using the cheapest possible materials at the highest profit. We have become a banana republic by exporting our raw materials, and then importing the finished product. Take a gander at new electric hand saws, Craftsman, Black & Decker, etc.. Total crap, cheaply made junk. When made in America, They were built for endurance, and lasting materials, along with pride being built into each one.

To help with your lack of knowledge in the arena, here are some links to help explain the dire consequences of losing our manufacturing base.
Hope Is Not a Plan: The Myth of American Manufacturing
Worse than the Great Depression: America’s manufacturing jobs implosion
Manufacturing Job Loss: Trade, Not Productivity, Is the Culprit

Chris0nllyn

If I may ...

This is where you show your true ignorance and your complete inability to comprehend. Instead of looking at value, all you see is price.

Trade used to mean acquiring something that you did not have or produce yourself. Today, trade's new meaning, is who can make it the cheapest using the cheapest possible materials at the highest profit. We have become a banana republic by exporting our raw materials, and then importing the finished product. Take a gander at new electric hand saws, Craftsman, Black & Decker, etc.. Total crap, cheaply made junk. When made in America, They were built for endurance, and lasting materials, along with pride being built into each one.

To help with your lack of knowledge in the arena, here are some links to help explain the dire consequences of losing our manufacturing base.
Hope Is Not a Plan: The Myth of American Manufacturing
Worse than the Great Depression: America’s manufacturing jobs implosion
Manufacturing Job Loss: Trade, Not Productivity, Is the Culprit

I comprehend just fine and no amount of repeating yourself about how dumb I am is going to change that. You ignore the information I've provided because in your mind American's manufacturing is based solely on cheap hand tools. You ignore the fact that the US is second in the world in exports (second to China) and leads the world in manufacturing planes, weapons, semiconductors, and a host of other things other countries apparently want.

US manufacturing output, adjusted for inflation, has moved at about the same pace since the 1940s. We are making more stuff with less people. That's value, not price.

In absolute terms, the value of U.S. manufacturing has been growing continuously, with brief hiccups experienced during recessions over the past several decades. As a percentage of our total economy, the value of manufacturing peaked in 1953 and has been declining since, but that is the product of rapid growth in the services sectors and not — as evidenced by manufacturing’s absolute growth — an indication of manufacturing decline.

We're at record highs for real output from the manufacturing sector and has been growing pretty consistently (outside of recessions) for decades.

The Institute for Industrial Supply Management publishes an index on manufacturing output. They survey executives on hiring, inventories, supply orders, and production levels. They combine this survey with stock prices to determine a final score. Anything over 50 means manufacturing is on the rise. It was 56.6% last month.

Feel free to read the report and the table showing growing orders, production, and employment.

There's a reason Foxconn didn't build the plant in Wisconsin (even after $3 billion in tax breaks). American labor is too expensive for them to complete in the global marketplace.
The story in short: the economics of the factory never made sense, and economics was always going to win over the hopes and dreams of politicians like Wisconsin governor Scott Walker, who championed the deal. Despite bells and whistles, televisions are a commodity product (unlike, say, airfoils), and thus the cost structure is much more compatible with efficient Asian supply chains than with American expensive labor.

Nothing you've said remotely answers point you replied to. Why should Americans be forced to pay more for goods? Why is capitalism so bad to you?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...
"Look at me. I can post bits and pieces of stuff that twists the narrative to what I am talking about. Even though I can't critically think enough to see through it, or see what is the diminishment of my own Nation in front of my very own eyes."

Yeah. Keep your head in the sand at your own peril, and unfortunately that of your fellow countrymen. You are a lost cause.

Btw. When was the last time you purchased an aeroplane? Or war munitions? Or a truck load of semiconductors? If you cant see the difference between what we export to what we import, to what we manufacture now to what we used to manufacture, to what countries(manufacturers) use, to what people use, to what we used to make here and buy here and use here that we longer make, well, I suggest you ask for a refund of all schooling you attended because you are incapable of critical thinking. Or just plain stupid. Or are a communist. Or are invested in those companies that sell out this Nation and chase nothing but profit at the expense of their countrymen.