Everything is far away!!!

steppinthrax

So I just moved to Owings, MD (2 days ago). I love the area and the peacefulness. However, everything is far away. I’m from Baltimore county and am used to being within a mile or so of Home Depot, (2) Malls, Several different grocery stores etc… So I notice we have an ACE hardware real close to me that I can go and check out. My neighbors visited us and said the closest stores are Annapolis!!!!!! Where are the mom and pop shops? Also besides taking your trash to the convenience center what companies do curbside pickup, what’s the cheapest?

dave1959

So I just moved to Owings, MD (2 days ago). I love the area and the peacefulness. However, everything is far away. I’m from Baltimore county and am used to being within a mile or so of Home Depot, (2) Malls, Several different grocery stores etc… So I notice we have an ACE hardware real close to me that I can go and check out. My neighbors visited us and said the closest stores are Annapolis!!!!!! Where are the mom and pop shops? Also besides taking your trash to the convenience center what companies do curbside pickup, what’s the cheapest?

You answered your own question. You can't have both ways.

TGB

Welcome. It will take you sometime to get adjusted. You'll just have to get used to the drive. From Owings you're a stone throw away to Annapolis, Bowie/Crofton, and Waldorf. About 30 minutes to either area.

woogie

You also have many name-brand stores in Prince Frederick
(which is MUCH closer than Annapolis) such as Wal-Mart,
many restaurants, many name-brand food stores, etc.
Prince Frederick is about 10 miles from you.
Not quite a "mall" but still closer than Annapolis.

Also try the shopping center in Dunkirk. (Even closer than
Prince Frederick) About 5 to 6 miles from you.

Both locations are on MD Rte 4 to the south of you.

PS...Stay FAR AWAY from PG! DANGEROUS!

Hope this helps.

Katelin

one day the dark will end

Been here 2 days and you are all ready complaining?
Either give out wonderful county a chance or take your spoiled butt back Baltimore County,,,which is nice and peaceful in many areas.:coffee:

FED_UP

Paying Goodies 79 bucks ever three months for once a week for trash pick up. They do twice a week pick up also for more money. I guess they are in your area, not sure.

Sweet 16

^^8^^

Seriously?? You didn't check this all out BEFORE you moved there? :confused:

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
:lol: It's all relative, of course. For some folks, a drive of more than five minutes is too far; for others, twenty minutes is normal. You should fit right in in your new spot because a lot of people want it both ways. :lol:

Sparx

Check Bobs Trash Service too. I switched to them a while back and get good service and saved money compared to Calvert Trash. I find that Sneads hardware, (the one near you), is competitive on most thigs as well.

slowlane

Only a few minutes from Owings, is

LOWE's (home improvement superstore) in Upper Marlboro near the Routes 301 & 4 interchange

the WAL MART in Dunkirk on Route 4

There are also some attractive new shopping centers in BOWIE.

Last edited:

Im_Me

Welcome to Calvert County!

It does take some getting used to when there isn't a mall within 30 minutes.

You will like the peace and quiet. I found that I saved several hundred dollars a month when I move here and "the Mall" was no longer the go to place for a boring week night.

Unfortunately, then came the internet which allows you to just sit home and spend money! :coffee:

StrawberryGal

Sweet and Innocent
Oh really? Why is everything so close by? Oh look, there's Starbuck on every block in the city! Why do they need 100 Starbuck in one city?

MarieB

Some people aren't able to visit an area before moving there. We weren't. I checked some stats and such, and off we were. If you want the job then you move.

It does take some time getting used to being far away from conveniences (I'm still really not used to it), but you'll adjust somehow. Don't be afraid to venture out and get lost, or to take a long trip once a month or so for those favorite items that you just can't find in your area. That's how you find things and find your way around. This forum is great too.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I only have to travel 10 miles to buy fuel, bait or ammo. Beer I can get a mere 3 miles away.

I always thought that was plenty convenient enough. :shrug: