TV Repair Person

justlikeme

I have a RCA 36" MODEL 36V430T TV and a Sylvania 32" model SRT2432S. They both turn on but no picture. Looking for TV repair person who is can look at them and give a price on them if they can be fixed.

limblips

PREMO Member
It will cost you more than they are worth. You can get decent flat screen for a few hundred. Just to look at them at a repair place is $75-$100. And since they turn on but no picture, that usually is related to the high voltage (25-35K volts). Horizontal output or transformer is often the cause. Transformer will be $75 if you can get it, install labor another $50. Bite the bullet and go to Wally World for a new flatty.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I have a RCA 36" MODEL 36V430T TV and a Sylvania 32" model SRT2432S. They both turn on but no picture. Looking for TV repair person who is can look at them and give a price on them if they can be fixed.

I wish I could remember the name of the guy who did our TV - it was a large flat screen tube - heavy mofo. He came out, pulled out the circuit tray, took it to his shop, diagnosed and fixed it there. Reasonable price to fix a HD TV that was otherwise in great shape (only a few years young).
I want to say ATS but there was another company that did appliance repair that absolutely sucked and ...
For appliances, call AA Dependable. multi thumbs up for the techs that have come out and done work on our major appliances.
Check ATS, I think they were in Waldorf. If they do electronics then that's who fixed out tv (the other place was in Clinton and the repair person was an idiot [long story])

SoccerFan

Mark's Electronics

The last reply may be correct. It may not be worth the cost of repair which will almost definitely run at least $75-$100. On the other hand, a new TV of about the same size will probably run you at least $200 if not more. You'll have to decide what works better for your financial situation. That being said, I had a TV repaired several months ago at Mark's Electroinics in California and have been very happy with their work. You can check them out at: Mark's Electronics Inc..

officeguy

I've had a couple of TVs fixed over the years, in all cases it was a part worth pennies usually a bad transistor. It's well worth it, the tube TVs last decades not like the LCD crap that starts to dim after a couple of years.

garyt27

INAFJ
By the way, to have both tv's doing the same thing is suspicious. maybe someone set the dark controls on you. do you have sound?

It will cost you more than they are worth. You can get decent flat screen for a few hundred. Just to look at them at a repair place is $75-$100. And since they turn on but no picture, that usually is related to the high voltage (25-35K volts). Horizontal output or transformer is often the cause. Transformer will be $75 if you can get it, install labor another $50. Bite the bullet and go to Wally World for a new flatty.

Why did you bother to respond to post. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. You need to work at a TV shop as you you can diagnose problem and cost with just the words "no picture"

limblips

PREMO Member
Why did you bother to respond to post. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. You need to work at a TV shop as you you can diagnose problem and cost with just the words "no picture"

I have probably repaired more TV's than you have watched! I stated the problem often is related to HV. I did not give a definitive diagnosis. The fact is, it is cheaper to replace a 5 year or older TV than to fix it and still have a 5year old TV. Oh, and your qualifications are?

officeguy

The fact is, it is cheaper to replace a 5 year or older TV than to fix it and still have a 5year old TV.

It's not.

The three repairs I had in the last couple of years were between $65 and $67 each. One was caused by a bad solder joint that required a magic touch with the solder iron, the other two had penny components that failed. In both of those cases it was the $65 diagnostic fee + a buck or so for the Transistor. All three TVs are still going strong 3 and 5 years later. They are not the main TVs in my home, but for the kids to watch a DVD I dont need a LCD or LED (also, CRTs are a lot sturdier when it comes to the stuff kids will do to a TV).

It all depends on whether you can find an old fashioned TV repair guy who has the experience to isolate problems to the actual component or whether you are dealing with someone who just throws new boards at an issue and hopes that one of them does the trick. Same in car repair.

limblips

PREMO Member
It's not.

The three repairs I had in the last couple of years were between $65 and $67 each. One was caused by a bad solder joint that required a magic touch with the solder iron, the other two had penny components that failed. In both of those cases it was the $65 diagnostic fee + a buck or so for the Transistor. All three TVs are still going strong 3 and 5 years later. They are not the main TVs in my home, but for the kids to watch a DVD I dont need a LCD or LED (also, CRTs are a lot sturdier when it comes to the stuff kids will do to a TV).

It all depends on whether you can find an old fashioned TV repair guy who has the experience to isolate problems to the actual component or whether you are dealing with someone who just throws new boards at an issue and hopes that one of them does the trick. Same in car repair.

Agreed! And excellent response. Not all repairs are huge $'s but many are. Your point about "parts throwers" is spot on. When I did it, I would troubleshoot to the component, not the (expensive) board. Sadly, the cost of repairs of many home electronics and appliances, is tough to eat when replacement is equal or not much more.

I have probably repaired more TV's than you have watched! I stated the problem often is related to HV. I did not give a definitive diagnosis. The fact is, it is cheaper to replace a 5 year or older TV than to fix it and still have a 5year old TV. Oh, and your qualifications are?

I was in the service business for 35 years and owned my own repair facilty for 27 of those years and still do some part time for a friend of mine that is still in business. And your qualifications are............?

limblips

PREMO Member
I was in the service business for 35 years and owned my own repair facilty for 27 of those years and still do some part time for a friend of mine that is still in business. And your qualifications are............?

So now I see. You are upset that I may have taken business away from you!
30+ years.