Pellet Stove Advice?

After searching the forums for info on Pellet Stoves, I'm headed to Waldorf to talk to the guys at Tri County about installing an insert (currently have a fireplace). I can't spend another $3000 for oil this winter.

Any advice? Anything you know now that you wish you knew then?

Vince

Since you already have a fireplace, obviously you're going to get a fireplace insert. Just make sure the hopper is big enough to get at least a full bag of pellets into it. That way it will run all day and into the night. And if you have the storage space, order a ton of pellets at a time. At the end of the burning season, put in an order for another ton for next year. That way if cost goes up, you've at least got a start on the winter or if they are hard to get for some reason. I put a Breckwell in and I'm very happy with it. Only had one problem in the last 6 or 7 years, and that was the auger motor needed to be replaced. Not very expensive. Have you pellet stove cleaned at the end of the season. Get a good vacuum, with a good filter on it. Recommend a Rigid. Vacuum it out about once every 3 days, empty the cup and clean the windows. About a 10 min job.

Last edited:
Do you have a back-up plan in case you lose power?

Me? From what I've read, some come with battery back ups and that's what I'm hoping to go with. Are there only certain brands/models that use battery back ups or can I pretty much put a back up on any of them?

I'm really new to all of this so any and all info is helpful and appreciated.

Vince

Only thing I wish I would have done....when I bought my new stove, I should have gone with gas. :banghead: But the generator will run a microwave.

Since you already have a fireplace, obviously you're going to get a fireplace insert. Just make sure the hopper is big enough to get at least a full bag of pellets into it. That way it will run all day and into the night. And if you have the storage space, order a ton of pellets at a time. At the end of the burning season, put in an order for another ton for next year. That way if cost goes up, you've at least got a start on the winter or if they are hard to get for some reason. I put a Breckwell in and I'm very happy with it. Only had one problem in the last 6 or 7 years, and that was the auger motor needed to be replaced. Not very expensive. Have you pellet stove cleaned at the end of the season. Get a good vacuum, with a good filter on it. Recommend a Rigid. Vacuum it out about once every 3 days, empty the cup and clean the windows. About a 10 min job.

A whole ton, huh? How many bags is that? Can I store the pellets on a covered porch? I also have a basement and can probably make room down there.

Me? From what I've read, some come with battery back ups and that's what I'm hoping to go with. Are there only certain brands/models that use battery back ups or can I pretty much put a back up on any of them?

I'm really new to all of this so any and all info is helpful and appreciated.

A battery backup will add significant cost to the stove, and has a limited life during an outage. If you get an extended outage in a storm, a battery backup will not be sufficient. Batteries are good for about 3, maybe 4 years then need to be replaced. Consider a small generator.

A battery backup will add significant cost to the stove, and has a limited life during an outage. If you get an extended outage in a storm, a battery backup will not be sufficient. Batteries are good for about 3, maybe 4 years then need to be replaced. Consider a small generator.

I have a generator at the house now but have never used it. Can whomever does the installation wire it to the generator?

Vince

A whole ton, huh? How many bags is that? Can I store the pellets on a covered porch? I also have a basement and can probably make room down there.
A ton is 50 bags. I go through about 2 1/2 to 3 ton a winter. Got a 4 bedroom Cape Cod and my heat pump rarely kicks on. Safe to let it run when you're not home. Works on a vacuum type system. You open the door while it's running, it shuts down. Power goes out, it shuts down.

:yeahthat:

spinner

If you are going to the place on Old Washington Rd be careful who you get to wait on you. I had a young lady that really made a mess of my wood stove buying experience. I'd like to get to get an insert for my fireplace but I'm pretty hesitant to go back.

I have a generator at the house now but have never used it. Can whomever does the installation wire it to the generator?

You wouldn't wire it that way. If you had a large generator, it would be wired directly into the main breaker panel via a transfer switch.

Small generators you just run an extension cord to the thing you want to power. If you already have a small generator, you're all set. Just get it serviced so you know it works.

If you are going to the place on Old Washington Rd be careful who you get to wait on you. I had a young lady that really made a mess of my wood stove buying experience. I'd like to get to get an insert for my fireplace but I'm pretty hesitant to go back.

Thanks. It looks like Quad-Fire is sold by American Hardware so maybe I'll head there instead.

Anyone in particular I should ask for?

Vince

As far as Pellet brands? I've only used 2 so far. Hammer and Lignetics. Either one burns great, but I've found the Lignetics to produce less dust in the stove.

vince77

I'd discuss the option of a gas insert versus the pellet stove before I made any decision, there's pro's and con's to either system