231 in Barstow

calamity jane

Hello all,
A special exception to zoning has been applied for to build a gas station in the Trades Center. It would be located in the open field just next to the building. There is a gas station, garage, deli, at the other end of the building. I live near there and am an interested party to what gets put there.
I would like to hear from anyone else who lives near there, or even on the same road ( 231 ) , and who does not think there needs to be another gas station there.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Where? In the industrial center? Not really many gas stations on 231 from Rte 4 to Rte 5 as I recall. Don's...and the one just before Don's on the right. Then the one on the left before the bridge and I'm not sure that's even open.

I don't live on 231 but I'm close. I don't have a problem with it.

Hessian

I drive it every day...

Rose's deli was in the one warehouse...
If a gas station goes in...it better get a turn lane: Traffic is too heavy on the 231 now.
Wouldn't mind a Sheetz or WAWA to serve some fast sandwiches & snacks.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Re: I drive it every day...

Originally posted by Hessian
Rose's deli was in the one warehouse...

Whatever happened to that? I thought it was a good place?? Now it's Fantasy Entertainment, isn't it?

Hessian

Roses...you could see it but..

Could anyone figure out how to get there?

I enjoyed the Italian Deli that was in the Citgo...all gone now.
Speaking of gas station: why does Calvert have inverse competition for prices? Seem like the "competitors have contests to see who can raise the price the highest before the others do.
I make a weekly trip down to Lex PK for a tankful
I've lived in Calvert for 19 years and still have not pulled into some stations...not even for lawnmower gas!

Otter

Nothing to see here
A friend who owned a gas station in Calvert said he had to buy his gas out of Baltimore, whereas anyone south of the Patuxent had to get their gas from Norfolk where it was cheaper. Still doesn't make sense to me, maybe it's BS, I dunno, but historically(in my 16 yrs in Calvert) gas has always been cheaper in St Marys/Charles than Calvert.

calamity jane

The proposed new gas station would be only about 150-200 yards from the Citgo where the deli is. I know this is in my backyard and not all of yours, but I don't see why we would need another gas station so close to one already there.
I'd still like to hear from someone who lives close to there. And others who have an opinion about the number of cars traveling 231.

Re: Roses...you could see it but..

Originally posted by Hessian
Could anyone figure out how to get there?

I enjoyed the Italian Deli that was in the Citgo...all gone now.
Speaking of gas station: why does Calvert have inverse competition for prices? Seem like the "competitors have contests to see who can raise the price the highest before the others do.
I make a weekly trip down to Lex PK for a tankful
I've lived in Calvert for 19 years and still have not pulled into some stations...not even for lawnmower gas!

I work in Anne Arundel, and believe it or not, I get my gas cheaper up there!

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Re: Re: I drive it every day...

Originally posted by cattitude
Whatever happened to that? I thought it was a good place?? Now it's Fantasy Entertainment, isn't it?
:confused: :biggrin: So now you're into Fantasy Entertainment?
Swinging from the Chandeliers no longer amuses you?

Hessian

Jane...idea

I drove past the weeny little notice next to the plaza regarding the "hearing"...Nobody could possibly read that unless they stop & spend 20 minutes.

since you face the 231, put up a couple of signs like
"Want more congestion?"
"Does Barstow need three Gas Stations?"
"Keep Calvert Green!"
Post the date & time of the hearing...in BIG letters.

That will catch a lot more attention. I hope you can get the attention of your neighbors. That little blind rise in front of the Citgo has killed how many people over the years?

calamity jane

Hessian, thank you for the great idea. I already planned to try to rally my neighbors. None of us want a gas station there. Too many cars coming and going and at late hours, kids sitting in the parking lot with those window rattling speakers going. We know something will eventually go in there, but it would be better for this residential area if it were a doctor's office or something like that.
You are so right about the accidents in front of that trades center. Just in the past 4 years there have been 8 or 9 that I know about. That is a very hard spot to get out of.
If anyone knows how I could get hold of the traffic accident information, please let me know. That would be good to take to the hearing.

Hessian

Yet another thought...

I can see the lights of Hallowing Point park from beyond the hills of Benedict..until late at night. Adding a gas station in that section will mean MORE glaring lights until closing (10 pm?) If I lived near that I'd be hot.
Hit the Dept of Transportation office (PF)and find when they did their traffic studies on the 231. I swear they must have info on it ...I drive over their counters at least once a year. That would show the hectic growth on the road. They already need a light down in front of the Industrial park!