Guinea pig question

ebs

Just wondering if anyone has suggestions/advice on how to trim guinea pig nails? Our guineas are held every day and are pretty calm, but as soon as I try to trim the nails, they get all wiggly. I am afraid I will hurt them if I try to trim while they squirm. Any techniques you know of, maybe a certain way to hold them or something? I'd hate to have to pay the vet to do this, but maybe that is what I will have to do. Thank you!

DQ2B

Towel sounds good. Are you using two people to do the job? When I do our decidedly non-tame bunnies we have one person hold while the other trims.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
My male piggy was so crazy tame he just let me :killingme

My female was less happy about it and I had to wrap her in a soft tshirt and I would hold her on my lap, spreak her little paw with my finger and I used cat claw clippers to clip them. Sometimes if she got too upset I would do the front, and then the backs later or on another day. the cat clippers that are like little guillotines are the best. SOmetimes I would give her a carrot to munch on while i did the backs as she stood

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
My male piggy was so crazy tame he just let me :killingme

My female was less happy about it and I had to wrap her in a soft tshirt and I would hold her on my lap, spreak her little paw with my finger and I used cat claw clippers to clip them. Sometimes if she got too upset I would do the front, and then the backs later or on another day. the cat clippers that are like little guillotines are the best. SOmetimes I would give her a carrot to munch on while i did the backs as she stood

I find that some never settle down as they get older and I end up having to be extra careful trimming them. I usually hold piggy in a vertical (standing up for them)position in my lap against my belly with 1 hand with a finger or 2 gripping the leg I want to trim, then do the trimming with the other hand.

speaking of piggies LT ....... :whistle: they are just so DARNED SWEET and CUTE: http://forums.somd.com/small-pets/229751-darling-female-guinea-pig-sisters.html

onebdzee

off the shelf
I find that some never settle down as they get older and I end up having to be extra careful trimming them. I usually hold piggy in a vertical (standing up for them)position in my lap against my belly with 1 hand with a finger or 2 gripping the leg I want to trim, then do the trimming with the other hand.

speaking of piggies LT ....... :whistle: they are just so DARNED SWEET and CUTE: http://forums.somd.com/small-pets/229751-darling-female-guinea-pig-sisters.html

I have one of my kids hold the noisy one and I trim his nails....he apparently has ticklish feet because he makes quite a bit of noise and wiggles a lot when we do this

ebs

Thanks for the suggestions - I will wrap them up and tag team them with my daughter. Although I have trimmed my cats' claws for years, the pigs just seem more fragile and I am more worried about squishing them. Using a towel is a great idea. Thanks everyone!

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Just wondering if anyone has suggestions/advice on how to trim guinea pig nails? Our guineas are held every day and are pretty calm, but as soon as I try to trim the nails, they get all wiggly. I am afraid I will hurt them if I try to trim while they squirm. Any techniques you know of, maybe a certain way to hold them or something? I'd hate to have to pay the vet to do this, but maybe that is what I will have to do. Thank you!

When I was showing cavies I used to do mine on my lap upside down they would "freeze" or bring them in and I will do them for $5 but I am sure you can do it alone..

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I clipped the nails on a bunny for the 1st time in many years yesterday. Wow their nails are much smaller/thinner than a guinea pig - more like cats claws. Unless this is just a very young bunny and the nails change over time (can't remember what adult bunny claws are like)? I had to be VERY careful as this little guys nails are small, but they were sharp! So I just took the tips off only.

Last edited:

DosGattos

I put my piggies on their backs rub their bellies and clip away. Food is also good to have handy. Keeps em distracted.

antwheat

I am the Decider!
I put my piggies on their backs rub their bellies and clip away. Food is also good to have handy. Keeps em distracted.

:yeahthat: I always had the most luck when they were on their back. Once they get use to it, they are really calm.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
:yeahthat: I always had the most luck when they were on their back. Once they get use to it, they are really calm.

I just trimmed Teddy's nails the other day again. His are weird and they grow crooked. His nails were very overgrown when I got him from the shelter many years ago.