232 Fires 139 i9njuries, and 6 deaths in New York this year caused by Lithium batteries.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
bd35823f0603dcbfa202852e47de431f.jpg

Clem72

So the article itself points out that the main problem is that these are crap unregulated cells coming from China. And even given that there was, drum roll, 104 fires. With tens of millions of these micro-mobility devices.

Anyone care to do the math? I'm willing to bet you are more likely to be struck by lightning while barbecuing and wearing a "I like my butts rubbed and my pork pulled" apron than being involved in one of these fires.

So thanks for letting us know how unbelievably reliable the technology is.

Hijinx

So the article itself points out that the main problem is that these are crap unregulated cells coming from China. And even given that there was, drum roll, 104 fires. With tens of millions of these micro-mobility devices.

Anyone care to do the math? I'm willing to bet you are more likely to be struck by lightning while barbecuing and wearing a "I like my butts rubbed and my pork pulled" apron than being involved in one of these fires.

So thanks for letting us know how unbelievably reliable the technology is.
You are right my odds are pretty good against getting injured or killed by one of these Pieces of Scat because I don't own one nor have any intention of owning one, but I would say that one of those who does own one has a much greater chance of it burning them than their getting hit by lightning. I might add that Firefighters have a good chance of getting injured in a fire caused by one.

Clem72

You are right my odds are pretty good against getting injured or killed by one of these Pieces of Scat because I don't own one nor have any intention of owning one, but I would say that one of those who does own one has a much greater chance of it burning them than their getting hit by lightning. I might add that Firefighters have a good chance of getting injured in a fire caused by one.
Lightning causes on average around 22 thousand fires per year. 28 people die directly from lightning strikes each year, not counting deaths from lightning caused fires (FEMA estimates this to be another 10-12 deaths).

So once again, this article states these batteries were linked to 19 deaths. The sky is not falling chicken little.

Weren't you one of the tough guys not scared of Covids 3% or whatever death rate? Why are you afraid of a .0001% risk? Or are you trying out the whole CNN misinformation thing.

I don't even understand how a scaredy cat like you can live their life day to day jumping at every shadow.

Hijinx

Lightning causes on average around 22 thousand fires per year. 28 people die directly from lightning strikes each year, not counting deaths from lightning caused fires (FEMA estimates this to be another 10-12 deaths).

So once again, this article states these batteries were linked to 19 deaths. The sky is not falling chicken little.

Weren't you one of the tough guys not scared of Covids 3% or whatever death rate? Why are you afraid of a .0001% risk? Or are you trying out the whole CNN misinformation thing.

I don't even understand how a scaredy cat like you can live their life day to day jumping at every shadow.
I am certainly not afraid of a battery powered bike, since I don't own one.. Nor will I ever.
I am merely pointing out the fact that these batteries are becoming more and more prevalent in our society, from bikes to cell phones to EV cars, the more there are the more the chances of an incident will increase. I certainly would not want to frighten you into not buying something that you feel is safe. I just believe you should know the risks. If you choose to ignore them---fine.

glhs837

Power with Control
I am certainly not afraid of a battery powered bike, since I don't own one.. Nor will I ever.
I am merely pointing out the fact that these batteries are becoming more and more prevalent in our society, from bikes to cell phones to EV cars, the more there are the more the chances of an incident will increase. I certainly would not want to frighten you into not buying something that you feel is safe. I just believe you should know the risks. If you choose to ignore them---fine.
Yep, and the risk of gas fires increased exponentially as we kept adding gas powered vehicles to our lives but you know what? We decided to benefits that gas powered vehicles brought to our lives outweighed the increased risk of gas fires so we went with it. Just like we're going to do with this

Hijinx

Yep, and the risk of gas fires increased exponentially as we kept adding gas powered vehicles to our lives but you know what? We decided to benefits that gas powered vehicles brought to our lives outweighed the increased risk of gas fires so we went with it. Just like we're going to do with this
Just like YOU are doing with this. I guess you don't mind being forced into this mess that is not benefitting us at this time, but is creating inflation and a recession. The green move is proving to be too much too soon. The infrastructure is not ready for it. The science is not ready for it, and most Americans are not ready for it.

glhs837

Power with Control
Just like YOU are doing with this. I guess you don't mind being forced into this mess that is not benefitting us at this time, but is creating inflation and a recession. The green move is proving to be too much too soon. The infrastructure is not ready for it. The science is not ready for it, and most Americans are not ready for it.

I think I've stated about a billion times I don't agree with mandates. I've always said to let the market make it happen.

Clem72

I think like most things, you get what you pay for. There is inherent risk in buying cheap items from China, I wouldn't for instance buy one of those $100 diesel heaters that are the new rage (https://www.vevor.com/diesel-heater-c_10321) but not because I think Diesel is bad. With american made battery cells (or those made in china with strict oversight like the ones used in Apple phones) and proper battery management systems (BMS, usually missing from these cheap electric bikes and scooters) I wouldn't be concerned. GM had only the slightest worry about their batteries and replaced the batteries for their entire fleet. I expect they will be proactive until the market gets comfortable with the technology.