Bye bye ethanol?

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
Seems like someone finally gets it. A reporter no less; Karen Hosler said:

"Didn’t Al Gore tell us it would fight global warming through cleaner motor vehicle emissions? Didn’t George W. Bush promise this home-grown grain byproduct would reduce U.S. dependence on expensive foreign oil?

...I may have been the only dope who fell for any of this, but the Senate has set me straight. In perhaps the single worthwhile step taken recently by what used to be called the world’s most deliberative body, a 72 to 27 majority of senators signaled last month that they are ready to end $6 billion in annual subsidies to the ethanol blenders and refiners...

When senators return to Washington in September — tanned, rested and ready — voters should demand they follow through with a stake to the heart of this scam. And then there’s the punch line: Corn-based ethanol as an environmental benefit was all a hoax from the beginning. It doesn’t reduce greenhouse gases,; it raises the price of corn used for food; it can’t survive without subsidies; and it never represented a long-term source of transportation fuel...

Mr. Global Warming, Al Gore, admitted as much at a conference in Athens last year when he called his support for corn-based ethanol a “mistake.”
:faint:

Time to End the Ethanol Subsidy - Southern Maryland Headline News

bcp

In My Opinion
Mr. Global Warming, Al Gore, admitted as much at a conference in Athens last year when he called his support for corn-based ethanol a “mistake.”
I remember a good number of people here on this site, including myself saying that exact same thing while blow me hard Al was trying to push the ethanol.

UNA

Wirelessly posted

ItalianScallion said:
Seems like someone finally gets it. A reporter no less; Karen Hosler said:

"Didn’t Al Gore tell us it would fight global warming through cleaner motor vehicle emissions? Didn’t George W. Bush promise this home-grown grain byproduct would reduce U.S. dependence on expensive foreign oil?

...I may have been the only dope who fell for any of this, but the Senate has set me straight. In perhaps the single worthwhile step taken recently by what used to be called the world’s most deliberative body, a 72 to 27 majority of senators signaled last month that they are ready to end $6 billion in annual subsidies to the ethanol blenders and refiners...

When senators return to Washington in September — tanned, rested and ready — voters should demand they follow through with a stake to the heart of this scam. And then there’s the punch line: Corn-based ethanol as an environmental benefit was all a hoax from the beginning. It doesn’t reduce greenhouse gases,; it raises the price of corn used for food; it can’t survive without subsidies; and it never represented a long-term source of transportation fuel...

:faint:

Time to End the Ethanol Subsidy - Southern Maryland Headline News

:yay:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Hope that they remove the requirement to use it if they stop the subsidy. If not, gas will immediately increase another $2 a gallon

bcp

In My Opinion
Hope that they remove the requirement to use it if they stop the subsidy. If not, gas will immediately increase another $2 a gallon

The biggest thing is how corrosive it is to engine parts, all the way from the fuel pump, the lines and everything else.
it will greatly reduce the life of an engine if used.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
They'd have to remove it, wouldn't they?
The biggest thing is how corrosive it is to engine parts, all the way from the fuel pump, the lines and everything else.
If enough people filed enough law suits because of their small engines breaking down...ya think? :shrug:

That's why I am wondering why the Navy is spending money converting aircraft to use it. Not all of them, just two examples for experiments.

They'd have to remove it, wouldn't they?

If enough people filed enough law suits because of their small engines breaking down...ya think? :shrug:

No, they wouldn't. They will still produce it and the cost to us will go up.

bcp

In My Opinion
That's why I am wondering why the Navy is spending money converting aircraft to use it. Not all of them, just two examples for experiments.

No, they wouldn't. They will still produce it and the cost to us will go up.

If the military uses it, then we can also attack other countries for their corn.
This really increases our options over just using the oil excuse.

If the military uses it, then we can also attack other countries for their corn.
This really increases our options over just using the oil excuse.

I see. I think we should have thought this through a bit more and gone with rice, though.

bcp

In My Opinion
I see. I think we should have thought this through a bit more and gone with rice, though.

nothing stopping us from using rice, except we cant grow our own, and this means we really have little chance for the lefties to start screaming about the chance of rice spills, thus cutting off plowing of any new rice paddies.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
Adding the ethanol is an EPA regulation and they have no plans to delete or even ease the requirement

E.P.A. Won’t Ease Ethanol Requirements in Gas - NYTimes.com
Yes but, if they end the 6 billion in subsidies, don't you think the mandate will "go away"? She said a study showed that: "It doesn’t reduce greenhouse gases,; it raises the price of corn used for food; it can’t survive without subsidies; and it never represented a long-term source of transportation fuel..." :shrug:

nothing stopping us from using rice, except we cant grow our own, and this means we really have little chance for the lefties to start screaming about the chance of rice spills, thus cutting off plowing of any new rice paddies.

No, you missed my point. We buy the rice to make ethanol. Develop that technology and then the number of countries we can invade increases greatly.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Yes but, if they end the 6 billion in subsidies, don't you think the mandate will "go away"? She said a study showed that: "It doesn’t reduce greenhouse gases,; it raises the price of corn used for food; it can’t survive without subsidies; and it never represented a long-term source of transportation fuel..." :shrug:

What's the progressive agenda?

We have a president who has stated he actually wants energy prices to skyrocket. Cap and trade legislation didn't pass pass so he's using EPA regulations to accomplish his goals. When you hear "End dependence on foreign oil" they actually mean end dependence on all fossil fuel. Gas going to $6 a gallon will greatly reduce you ability to drive you personal vehicle and make public government provided public transportation a better choice.

No, you missed my point. We buy the rice to make ethanol. Develop that technology and then the number of countries we can invade increases greatly.

Why buy the rice when we can grow algae for free? Certain strains produce more biofuel than anything else we have.

bcp

In My Opinion

but, its not the total package unless we are able to produce enough, then restrict production and put people out of work while we invade another country that will cost us 3 or 4 times as much to get the product from.

this is about destroying the U.S, nothing more

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
What's the progressive agenda?

We have a president who has stated he actually wants energy prices to skyrocket. Cap and trade legislation didn't pass pass so he's using EPA regulations to accomplish his goals. When you hear "End dependence on foreign oil" they actually mean end dependence on all fossil fuel. Gas going to $6 a gallon will greatly reduce you ability to drive you personal vehicle and make public government provided public transportation a better choice.
I know and fully agree that this is his agenda but, hopefully, he's a "one & done" President so we can get back to normal life soon after.