Solomons Offshore Grand Prix

SOGP

Solomons Offshore Grand Prix 2011 Update

Since everyone seemed to survive the Hurricane we think now would be a perfect time to talk about the race!!!!

ITS ON AND GOING TO BE GREAT THIS YEAR!!!!!

The Solomons Offshore Grand Prix presented by Bayside Chevrolet is all set for September 23, 24, and 25 2011. There will be a weekend packed full of events so make sure to keep up with all the events talking place. There will be something for everyone to do. The following is a schedule of events. For full details please visit Solomons Offshore Grand Prix.

Thursday September 22

7PM will be a weekend kick off party at the Rudy Duck. For more information please The Ruddy Duck Brewery and Grill, Solomons Maryland

Friday September 23

Stroke of Luck Against Alzheimer’s Golf Tournament

For more information please visit

Charity Golf Tournament

Friday Night there will be a meet the racer party at Catamaran's starting at 7PM. If anyone came and hung out last year they did a great job and we are looking forward to going back there!!!!!

Saturday September 24

The Dry Pits will open at 9AM in Glascock's Field and County Boat Ramp.
The boat ramp will be open for public use all weekend.

Testing will be from 12PM to 3PM during the day. Make sure to pick out your favorite team for the race.

The Solomons Offshore Grand Prix and Solomons Volunteer Fire Department have teamed up to bring you the best block party on the planet.

"The End of Beach Bash" will kick off at 12PM sharp will bands playing all day. Then at 5PM watch the race boats tow in for everyone to get up close and personnel with the teams. Jonathan and Andy Hillstrand from The Deadliest Catch will be on hand from 6-7PM for a meet and greet. Make sure to check out this very cool event. For more information please visit Solomons Volunteer Rescue Squad Fire Department - Calvert County, Maryland.

There will be shuttles provided for transportation to and from the event. Look for parking and shuttle information next week.

Sunday September 25 RACE DAY!!!!!

The races will kick off at 12PM on a totally new course. Make sure to come out early and get your spot by water or by land for a action packed afternoon of racing. After last year there have been some changes made to make the expreicne that much better for the fans.

First, we will have a better speaker system along the Boardwalk so everyone can here what is going on. The Speakers will be mounted on poles so the sound will be much better.

Second, the race will be broadcast over a radio station. We are not sure at this time which one but hope to know next week. Once we know you will know.

Third, we will be working the United States Coast Guard to allow the spectator boats to get closer to the race course. There will not be a bad seat in the house for this one.

There will be more updates coming in the next few weeks so make sure to stay tuned to Solomons Offshore Grand Prix. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Oh Yeah one more thing. We wanted to give everyone a preview of the t shirt for this year. There will be more or sale this year so make sure to stop by and get one!!!!

Looking forward to seeing everyone there!!!

Front of the Tshirt!

Attachments

• frontdesign.jpg
    frontdesign.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

SOGP

Alright everyone we are less then two weeks away!!! Who is getting ready for the boat races. By Wensday we will the radio station and shuttles lined up.

Stay Tuned are getting ready to blow it up in Solomons!!!

Looking forward to seeing everyone!!!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Reserved a slip at the marina yesterday...Friday through Sunday. Sure hope the weather cooperates!

SOGP

UPDATE!!!

If you are coming by boat you will be able to listen to the race LIVE on AM 540. In the Pits Radio will provide us with a professional broadcast.

If you are coming by land then will have a great speaker system along the boardwalk with speakers mounted on the boardwalk above the crowd.

The first race will start at 12PM as will the broadcast.

The weather is looking great and we are looking forward to seeing everyone there!!!

Last edited:

Mr.Steed

Am praying for heavy rain and surf conditions, starting at noon on Sunday and concluding early evening. Watch out for debris, boys - especially you Little Buddy! Remember, don't drink while under way! :popcorn:

PS - wonder if there will be a sale on ear plugs - hmmm.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Am praying for heavy rain and surf conditions, starting at noon on Sunday and concluding early evening. Watch out for debris, boys - especially you Little Buddy! Remember, don't drink while under way! :popcorn:

I hear it will be real nice up in Wasington, DC that day, Mrs. Teed. Perhaps you should go visit.

:howdy:

SOGP

Heavy Rain last did not stop us last year and well Surf Conditions would make it even better. We hope most of the debris will be gone by next weekend but we will deal with that when we get there.

Everyone is starting to get excited about it so lets go racing boys!!!!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
We hope most of the debris will be gone by next weekend but we will deal with that when we get there.

Hadn't considered that aspect. If it makes you feel any better, I took my 32' cruising on a stretch of the lower Potomac last weekend and there were many of what resembled the "weed lines" you see off the coast of south Florida; we look for them to fish alongside. Nothing bigger than a clump of plant roots or the occasional chunk of small broken branch and most just loose 'brush', grass and weed stalks.

There is probably the occasional piece of a tree out there somewhere...

SOGP

Alright everyone we are less then a week away!!!!!

Who is looking forward to the smell of race gas in the Morning!!!

I know we are!!!!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Alright everyone we are less then a week away!!!!!

Who is looking forward to the smell of race gas in the Morning!!!

I know we are!!!!

The happy aroma of Clamato Bloody Mary's will have to come first. Sorry. :yahoo:

burgessm84

I've been looking forward to it since last year. Will be at the boardwalk Sunday (last year spectator boats were just too far away from the race to get a good view). I was really looking forward to going by boat on Saturday to watch the practice runs. Last year was a blast as we could go wherever we wanted to watch, so I'm really disappointed to see that this year they will close the river down on Saturday too...

NOTICE TO MARINERS
MD – CHESAPEAKE BAY – PATUXENT RIVER – Regulated area
Mariners are advised that the “Chesapeake Challenge” is scheduled to occur in the Patuxent River on Sunday, September 25, 2011, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. The high-speed, offshore power boat races will operate in a counter-clockwise direction on a marked, racetrack-type course located at Solomons, MD, between the Governor Thomas Johnson (SR-4) Bridge and U.S. Naval Air Station Patuxent River, MD.

In addition, power boat testing and race course practice runs of “Chesapeake Challenge” participants are scheduled to occur in the Patuxent River on Saturday, September 24, 2011, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. The Coast Guard has issued special local regulations establishing a regulated area for all waters of Patuxent River, within lines connecting the following positions: see Notice To Mariners from USCG for detailed location

This regulated area will be enforced from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on September 24, 2011 and from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on September 25, 2011.

CBPBA

burgessm84,

Unfortunately last year we didn't get an opportunity to adjust the spectator area for the race. I know it was a little further back than I would have liked myself.

We'll be working with the Coast Guard to fine tune the spectator section for boaters on Saturday, then make final adjustments on Sunday morning.

See Race Layout Information for a chart of the course, and keep watch on the main page for any additional annoucements.