$40K a year...

unxpcted

I heard that Chik-Fil-A was gonna provide tents for everyone. Of course they'll be adorned with crosses and bibles though...

PrepH4U

I heard that Chik-Fil-A was gonna provide tents for everyone. Of course they'll be adorned with crosses and bibles though...

I wonder if the students will be provided a crossing guard to deal with the cross walks in town :shrug:

awpitt

Main Streeter
I wonder where they'll be moved to. PG and Caroline are old dorms. Surprised Dorchester doesn't have the same problem. It sits even lower.

It probably does. Calvert Hall is another one with a history of problems. At one point, someone was linking cancer rates of employees to the problems with that bldg. Don't know what the conclusions were though.

SoMD_Fun_Guy

Do you like apples?
200 students having to stay in hotel rooms. That's a lot of rooms to suddenly take up. Where they gonna put em all? And how are they going to set up the shuttle bus for back and forth to the college? Meal plans, etc. Sounds like a logistics nightmare to me!

Of course, it's also the makings for one kickass hotel party! :buddies: :killingme

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I don't get what the big deal is.

Dorchester and Caroline and Prince Georges dorms are over 30 years old.

Why is mold an issue now?

I don't get what the big deal is.

Dorchester and Caroline and Prince Georges dorms are over 30 years old.

Why is mold an issue now?

It's been an issue for some time. Just that everyone wanted to ignore the issue until it became widely known. Kinda like when it became known that SMCM has the 4th highest tuition rates of any college or university in the US. The college was not at all happy that that info got out.

Mr.Steed

"awpitt" - It probably does. Calvert Hall is another one with a history of problems. At one point, someone was linking cancer rates of employees to the problems with that bldg. Don't know what the conclusions were though.

One conclusion is that the individual who was investigating a link between cancer occurrences and Calvert Hall died - of cancer.

I suspect that some of those old dorms have had mold for some time (like Calvert Hall did). But under certain conditions as was seen this past summer with Hurricane Irene and and then the subsequent heavy rainfalls, most likely contributed to large mold blooms. Apparently, this phenomenon was observed this year at other colleges/universities in the Mid-Atlantic.

Mold is nothing to fool around with; and although costly, the College is handling the situation correctly.

Mr.Steed

"struggler44" - Wonder how long it will take the commissioners or state to pony up and pass the cost on to us.

"DEEKAYPEE8569" - How long can you hold your breath?? Not long enough, I'll bet.

Wonder if you would be saying the same thing if this mold issue was affecting a local elementary school?! I may be wrong, but insurance may be assisting; although, many insurance policies no longer cover mold contamination.

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
"struggler44" - Wonder how long it will take the commissioners or state to pony up and pass the cost on to us.

"DEEKAYPEE8569" - How long can you hold your breath?? Not long enough, I'll bet.

Wonder if you would be saying the same thing if this mold issue was affecting a local elementary school?! I may be wrong, but insurance may be assisting; although, many insurance policies no longer cover mold contamination.

We should help the local schools....... SMC is a golden parachute for it's board members, I would prefer it not be here....JMO

Mr.Steed

"struggler44" - We should help the local schools....... SMC is a golden parachute for it's board members, I would prefer it not be here....JMO

Knowing some of those board members, your statement does not hold true. I'm really glad that we have such a high caliber institution of higher education in this county. Not to mention, not only does it employ many local folks but their children can attend SMCM for a lot less $ than it would cost to attend any other state institution. In addition, St. Mary's has a close working relationship with PAX. What a shame that there are so many posters here who are agenda-driven and misinformed about St. Mary's College ... JMO!

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron

Go get a ####ing antibiotic if you're such a pussy that nature takes that much of a toll on your immune system.