Traffic Rant 235 lights

awpitt

Main Streeter
How do you get the mva to assess traffic light timing on 235 during the am n pm traffic? And fix it!

What do you want them to do? The problem is that each and every driver wants the traffic lights to be timed based on their own routine. That's not gonna happen.

Last edited:

edreedisgod20

What do you want them to do? The problem is that each and every driver wants the traffic lights to be timed based on their own routine. That's not gonna happen.

While that's true, I don't think it's that in this case. Something changed a couple weeks ago. Can't say much about the AM, but traffic is backed up past 2272 (probably farther but that's where I leave from) on the base every day now after 4. 15-20 minutes just to get from 2272 to the light to exit the base. I've worked on base for quite a while and it has never been like this consistently. I suspect it's the San Souci light that is the issue based on my observations, but I am not sure. Either that or literally nobody is on travel, which I guess is a possibility too.

black dog

Free America
OP you need to order the Ninja Traffic light Remote.
download (2).jpeg

Grumpy

While that's true, I don't think it's that in this case. Something changed a couple weeks ago. Can't say much about the AM, but traffic is backed up past 2272 (probably farther but that's where I leave from) on the base every day now after 4. 15-20 minutes just to get from 2272 to the light to exit the base. I've worked on base for quite a while and it has never been like this consistently. I suspect it's the San Souci light that is the issue based on my observations, but I am not sure. Either that or literally nobody is on travel, which I guess is a possibility too.

I think it's the light at Chancellors Run that has changed,IMO..Yesterday took me 45 minutes to get from Airport View to Chancellors..after the light there wasn't any traffic. Noticed last week that traffic thinned out after Chancellors

1stGenSMIB

I think Grumpy is right & I have noticed it for about the same timeframe. It seemed like it was a very short green N & S on 235 & Chancellors during AM rush hour last week, with the "don't walk" flashing again after what seemed like only seconds since the traffic signal turned green.

If it makes you feel any better, I saw yellow MDOT vans at the Exploration & Expedition intersections today with their faces in the traffic signal boxes. :)

MiddleGround

I think it's the light at Chancellors Run that has changed,IMO..Yesterday took me 45 minutes to get from Airport View to Chancellors..after the light there wasn't any traffic. Noticed last week that traffic thinned out after Chancellors

I run just about the same route in the AM and PM. The problem children have always been the light at Airport Rd (by the Outback) and the light at Chancellors.

BernieP

Resident PIA
they just did a reaccesssment and changed the timing...

yeah, back the other way :lol

I honestly don't think they can time the lights because they are simply to close together. I think it's the stretch between RT 4 and Rt 237 that is hosed up.
Walmart lights are a big part of it. I;m not sure if the light by Cheseldine is timed or is just set to trip when a car pulls up to exit the parking lot.

I've seen that light change stopping traffic and then the when it goes green, the light at Town Creek goes red.

It's next to impossible to time the lights. Think about it. You want the lights to flow when you head south. What happens to the lights going north? All screwed up. So, you try to follow the major flow during rush times, like in the morning. When do you switch to follow the rush in the evening? As soon as AM rush is over? Just before the PM rush? It will ALWAYS be wrong for someone at sometime.

ReadingTheNews

they are simply to close together.... I've seen that light change stopping traffic and then the when it goes green, the light at Town Creek goes red.
/snip

This^^ Why can't the lights on that stretch (from the base to Rt. 4, or beyond) be synched up, as in all turn green at the same time, then all turn red at the same time..? Several of those lights are so close together, it's really ridiculous.
:ohwell:

1stGenSMIB

It's next to impossible to time the lights. Think about it. You want the lights to flow when you head south. What happens to the lights going north? All screwed up. So, you try to follow the major flow during rush times, like in the morning. When do you switch to follow the rush in the evening? As soon as AM rush is over? Just before the PM rush? It will ALWAYS be wrong for someone at sometime.

The switch to afternoon rush timing is about 1500 I think. Which is why when the base does a 0:59 early dismissal during a weekday (which means everyone leaves before 1500) the traffic is really hosed because the Rt 4/235 light is too short north & south bound until it switches to PM rush hour timing.

It also takes a few cycles to sync them back up when someone hits the crosswalk button somewhere along the way too..When that happens, (at least at Old Rolling Road where I've observed it) the outbound traffic at ORR gets a ~30 second green to allow the ped to get across the street, when that is normally a 7 second green for ORR & 7 second green for Shady Mile out.. Then, the southbound 235 left turn signal switches to a 3 second green light for several cycles regardless of the number of cars running thru the sensors/cameras, to allow a longer north bound green until it syncs back up with the other lights.

Last edited:

MiddleGround

Lets remember that you have government workers behind these operations, and they aren't smart

I wouldn't necessarily say that. They were smarter than you to land those nice cushy jobs where they don't have to work hardly at all. And, I am guessing they are smarter than you since you are whining about them.

MiddleGround

The switch to afternoon rush timing is about 1500 I think. Which is why when the base does a 0:59 early dismissal during a weekday (which means everyone leaves before 1500) the traffic is really hosed because the Rt 4/235 light is too short north & south bound until it switches to PM rush hour timing.

It also takes a few cycles to sync them back up when someone hits the crosswalk button somewhere along the way too..When that happens, (at least at Old Rolling Road where I've observed it) the outbound traffic at ORR gets a ~30 second green to allow the ped to get across the street, when that is normally a 7 second green for ORR & 7 second green for Shady Mile out.. Then, the southbound 235 left turn signal switches to a 3 second green light for several cycles regardless of the number of cars running thru the sensors/cameras, to allow a longer north bound green until it syncs back up with the other lights.

I was headed southbound on 235 this past Friday for work. It was about 1:30pm and the northbound traffic looked like it was 4pm on a Tuesday!

What time did those people get to work? 4a.m.??!!

So_what

Yes I'm an MPD, But who's
The problem isn't the traffic lights at all. It's the idiots who won't put their cell phones down for a 15 minute drive home.